DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question and I hope you all can help. I have been with Dish for 3 years now and I was having some problems with my 5000 reciever in the living room so I called Dish last week and asked for a new type of reciever because I was frustrated with how slow the 5000 was. After a little haggling, they agreed to send me a PVR501 for $99 to replace my 5000. So they come out this morning and when they show up the guy tells me his shop was out of new 501s so Dish told him to hook me up a new PVR508 instead. The guy told me this was supposedly an upgraded version of the 501, but I asked him why I am not getting a 501 like I was told I would be getting. He assured me that the 508 was actually nicer than the 501, so I just went along with him and let him hook the 508 up. I absolutely LOVE this receiver, this is my first PVR and it is so awesome. My wife loves it too. But my question is, did Dish rip me off by giving me a 508 instead of the 501 or was the guy telling me correct when saying the 508 was actually better than the 501? I am confused as to what the difference is here, so I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by James_F
Check this link out...

http://www.dbstalk.com/pvr_comparison.htm

508 is a much better choice...
Thanks James! Looks like I just lucked up huh? The guy told me this morning he installed the last new 501 he had Thursday morning and all he had left were refurbished 501s. He said Dish told him specifically to give me a new PVR because I had trouble with the 5000, so he said when he called Dish this morning they told him just to bring me out a new 508 instead. My first thought was that the 501 was so popular or in demand that he ran out of them and I just got "stuck" with a 508. This reciever is so nice, I don't see how I ever lived without one of these things. I am still working on reading the manual and figuring out all these cool features.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.