DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AllStar
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really understood how dish counts channels, and I have dish, and have had it for years.
on http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/programming/turboHD/index.shtml
they show bronze having "over 40 channels of HD" I count 25, counting DoD as 1
40-25=15
Silver "Over 50" I count 30
50-30=20
Gold "Over 55" I count 39
55-39=16

Anyone figured out the rationale for these numbers?
the 7 for platinum matches what they show exactly
If there are 17 dish on demand channels, bronze and gold would work, but there's still 4 missing channels on silver?
the AT packages count music channels and shopping channels, but not pay per view, ok, they are counting pay per view in turbo, but what does silver have that gold doesn't?

·
Super Moderator
53,496 Posts
The clue might be on the "America’s Top + TurboHD Programming" page ...
The count for AEP + GoldHD is also "over 55".

Apparently they are including the 19 premium channels available (at extra cost)?

·
Super Moderator
53,496 Posts
About the only other category big enough is RSNs ... they need 18 more than the 'known' channels to get to "over 50" on TurboHD Silver ... 16 on TurboHD Bronze (to get "over 40") and 15 on TurboHD Gold (to get "over 55").

Unless they are adding PPV and HD VOD ... but does anyone have that many "VOD" movies in HD on their receiver?

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
James Long said:
About the only other category big enough is RSNs ... they need 18 more than the 'known' channels to get to "over 50" on TurboHD Silver ... 16 on TurboHD Bronze (to get "over 40") and 15 on TurboHD Gold (to get "over 55").

Unless they are adding PPV and HD VOD ... but does anyone have that many "VOD" movies in HD on their receiver?
I don't know if this helps or is even relevant. After L6.10 was downloaded to my 722, I went to the new "Movies on Demand" screen, which came up and then disappeared with a "smart card authorization error" message (technical support says their aware of this). But on one try the menu remained accessible and there were 13 movies including the one that's supposed to be 1080p.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
I used Silver to try out my "Fuzzy Math" concept for counting:

The national "cable channel" count is what they show on the graphics page.

There are some areas - Chicago, Honolulu, etc. - that actually get 5 locals.

Per my post above there are 13 "Movies on Demand" which Comcast made "countable".

Per Dish's list there are a total of 25 regional sports networks.

Depending upon your regional sports networks count, you're likely to have more than 50. If they can get the 1 cent Cinemax, they'd have 50. And they get real deals at this point on the premiums.

My apologies to the mathematicians out there for appropriating the "fuzzy math" term.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I have to say, I really have a hard time counting to 100 (yes I grew up on Sesame St)... especially when the same page that says "100 channels" has a picture of icons that appears to only show about 40-50 at most.

"One of these things doesn't belong here..." is what I sing in my mind... ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
HDMe said:
I have to say, I really have a hard time counting to 100 (yes I grew up on Sesame St)... especially when the same page that says "100 channels" has a picture of icons that appears to only show about 40-50 at most.

"One of these things doesn't belong here..." is what I sing in my mind... ;)
Well if you add the 9 more on Gold to my Silver "fuzzy math" chart above, you get 101. Nobody can get 101, but they have it. I guess they don't say any customers are getting 101, but then the numbers DirecTV and the cable companies throw around are equally as "fuzzy."

·
Legend
282 Posts
I can come up with 96 legitimate channels. I'm not counting the Big10 alternates, but even that only gets me to 100. Not seeing where they are getting the 101 count.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
anex80 said:
I can come up with 96 legitimate channels. I'm not counting the Big10 alternates, but even that only gets me to 100. Not seeing where they are getting the 101 count.
It's Fuzzy Math Channel Counting.;)

·
Super Moderator
53,496 Posts
I can't get to 114 without VODs that are not on my machine.

100 is a stretch. Come on DISH, you can count better than that!

·
Icon
649 Posts
I don't really care if it's 90 or 110... if you watch the Turbo ad (ch. 6799), they say 100 now and 150 by year end. So all hope is they add 50 more to whatever the count is. If they add 50 HD channels to my Abolute package, I'll ABSOLUTELY be in heaven. Cudos to Dish, what I'm watching tonight is very high PQ, and a LOT more HD that I was getting with TWC.

·
Super Moderator
53,496 Posts
DodgerKing said:
Have you updated your channel list yet?
Yes.

The lists are pretty close ...
AT100 + BronzeHD $47.99 / TurboHD Bronze $29.99 - 24 vs {no DirecTV Package}
AT200 + SilverHD $59.99 / TurboHD Silver $37.99- 32 vs Choice + HD $62.98 - 34
AT250 + GoldHD $69.99 / TurboHD Gold $44.99 - 40 vs Choice Xtra + HD $67.98 - 41
AEP + GoldHD $109.98 - 59 vs Premier + HD $114.98 - 56

AEP + GoldHD + PlatinumHD $119.98 - 66 vs Premier + HD + HD Extra $119.97 - 61

DirecTV counts 11 RSNs in their claimed 95 ... add that to the Premier + HD if you are so inclined.
RSNs, PPV, VOD, Distants, Locals not included in the counts above. Locals included in prices above.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
tcatdbs said:
I don't really care if it's 90 or 110... if you watch the Turbo ad (ch. 6799), they say 100 now and 150 by year end. So all hope is they add 50 more to whatever the count is.
I'm actually mostly in the same frame of mind as you here... but at the same time. IF they are using fuzzy math to say "100" channels now... then that might translate to "50" channels that is substantially lower than that.

I'm beginning to think we have to treat Dish and DirecTV HD channel counts like dog years and divide by 7! :)

·
AllStar
52 Posts
I counted about 64 unique National HD channels. There are about 19 Sport channels that are not on all the time and they turn on the odd game for only that particular city, to me that's not a National channel. I found about 9 HD PPV channels.

What exactly does DISH mean when they say they have "100 HD National channels now"??? Doesn't make sense. Can we assume the HD Sports Alternate channels are actually "National channels"? Most of the time they are not active.

Maybe someone can explain how Dish can think they have "100 National HD channels" because I can't see it.

·
Legend
143 Posts
I just viewed the Turbo commercial on 6799 and the only thing missing is Billy Mays as spokesman. And what exactly is "turbo processing code? I've given up trying figure out the counting math. Personally, quality is more important to me than quantity. :confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,433 Posts
knowing them, they are probably counting mapdowns, so 9450 and 300, that is two HD channels to them. :)

It's like I have said before, someone call and demand they get all 100 HD channels that are advertised. Say "price doesn't matter, I want 100 HD channels that I can watch right now". See how they hem and haw around that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.