DBSTalk Forum banner
541 - 560 of 560 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Also when you turn your hopper off, the free previews usually pop-up on at least one of the standby screensavers...
Unfortunately, neither that screensaver nor the link above always offer a complete or accurate list. For example, for the BBC America free preview, the link shows that preview as both ending on 9/30 (in the "Channels that were recently available in free preview" section) and being extended until 10/14 (in the "Available for Select Dates" section).

I think what happened in this case was, just as last month's scheduled free previews were about to end, the Disney dispute started. So, Dish extended the BBC America free preview (without announcing the extension at first) while also authorizing several other channels as free preview "replacement" channels for the missing Disney channels. Those additional channels remain available in free preview, while also still remaining unlisted on the free preview webpage.

I try to keep an up-to-date list of the free previews in my MPEG-2 thread. However, I have only been checking once per week, so both the end of the BBC America free preview, and the start of the current Sundance free preview to replace it, escaped my notice. I will be updating the color-coding in that list to reflect these changes.

Holy crap, I didn't know it was a free preview. It seems like I've had the channel for weeks now.

I never get any sort of notification of free previews. It seems like I have to seek them out, or just stumble onto them.
Would there be any interest in a dedicated Free Previews thread in this forum, instead of the way I have been doing it? I tried starting a Free Previews thread last year, but that didn't go over very well, and that thread was completely deleted.

· Registered
256 Posts
There is a channel in the low 100's that tell what are this month's free previews.
Channel 103 (the SD version, not the Hopper Insider HD channel)

SD 103 (PREVW) often does not list all of the free preview channels, not even all of the ones that are actually listed on Dish's free previews webpage. For example, right now, channel 103 does not list the Sundance preview that started in the middle of this month. Here is the current list from channel 103 (including some previews that have already expired):

Vice
Hallmark Channel
Travel Channel
NBA League Pass (ended 10/24)
NHL Center Ice (ended 10/15)
Discovery Familia

In addition to the ones listed above and on the website, there are currently still several unlisted previews of channels that were used as replacement channels during the short-lived Disney blackout. These previews include:

HDNet Movies
Boomerang
Discovery Family (channel 179, not to be confused with the Spanish-language Familia listed above)
Smithsonian

For a more complete list of free channels on Dish (the ones that still have SD feeds on Western Arc anyway) see my list in the first post of this thread: MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 transition on Western Arc
...and look for the channels that are color-coded in blue.

Would there be any interest in a dedicated Free Previews thread in this forum, instead of the way I have been doing it?
Again I'll ask: Should I start a separate thread here, to make the list of previews easier to find? I'll do so if I can get a guarantee that my Free Previews thread will be made sticky.

I expect the next wave of free preview channels to begin on 10/31, plus possibly some holiday music channels starting on 11/1. So, I'll need to know by November 1st if it is okay for me to start a thread listing the November free previews.

· Registered
256 Posts
In addition to the ones listed above and on the website, there are currently still several unlisted previews of channels that were used as replacement channels during the short-lived Disney blackout. These previews include:

HDNet Movies
Boomerang
Discovery Family (channel 179...)
Smithsonian
These previews have now all ended.

I expect the next wave of free preview channels to begin on 10/31...
New free previews for November started this morning:

165 GFAM
187 HMM
188 UP
241 PARAM
248 GLIV

· Registered
256 Posts
... plus possibly some holiday music channels starting on 11/1.
No free preview of the holiday music channels. (There wasn't a free preview last year, either. I don't know why Dish stopped doing that.) However, I will still update my MPEG-2 list (linked in post number 547 above) to put the name of each holiday music channel next to each channel number, as those channels launch throughout the holiday season. All other audio channels will remain listed by their EPG abbreviation only. This will make it easy to see at a glance which channels have switched to their holiday music formats.

· Registered
256 Posts
134 , 244 , ? SHOPHQ >The owner of this station has taken away this channel.
I was going through the guide in Dish Anywhere earlier today, and I noticed that channel 134 SHPHQ showed up. The dispute message was still in the guide at that time. Now, on my Dish receiver, I notice that channel 134 SHPHQ is back, with full guide info. Still no channel 244 for me, though.

Other changes today:

Yule Log channels were added, channels 303 and 304.
HBO and Cinemax free preview began this morning.

· Registered
256 Posts
In the Hopper guide, there is a Holiday App on channels 097-00, 204, and 306.

According to the Holiday App, the Holiday Music channels will be:

098-01 CD13 - Traditional Holidays
098-02 CD2 - Country Holiday
098-05 CD23 - Classical Holidays
098-06 CD5 - Modern Holiday
098-07 AUD05 - Holiday Instrumentals
098-08 CD18 - Ultra Hip Holiday
098-10 AUD16 - Soulful Holidays
098-11 VMARI - Viva La Navidad

I checked the regular 3-digit channel numbers for the above channels, and the only one that shows Holiday music listed in the guide so far is CD13, Traditional Holidays, channel 962.

Also, I am a little late reporting this, but there are also FIFA World Cup App channels on 159 and 866 (en Espanol).

· Registered
256 Posts
In the Hopper guide, there is a Holiday App on channels 097-00, 204, and 306.

I checked the regular 3-digit channel numbers for the above channels, and the only one that shows Holiday music listed in the guide so far is CD13, Traditional Holidays, channel 962.
Most of the above still don't show Holiday music in the guide yet, but channel 6073 SXM73 has switched over to Holiday Traditions (099-73 on Hopper-interface receivers).

· Registered
256 Posts
Holiday music launched today. I updated my MPEG-2 list, which shows these channels on their regular 3-digit and 4-digit channel numbers for older receivers.

· Registered
256 Posts
Some slight changes in this afternoon's uplink, as the PPV Event Pre-Order channels are now numbered, instead of having them all simply labeled "ORDER." Channel 473 is now ORDR2. Channel 817 is now ORDR3. I updated the MPEG-2 list accordingly.

· Registered
256 Posts
TVG has been rebranded to FanDuel TV on Ch 399.

And TVG2 has been rebranded to FanDuel Racing on Ch 398.

No channel logos and initials had been changed on my Hopper yet. Hopefully till next Wednesday around 2pm CT.
Better late than never. As of today, channel 398 is now FDR, and channel 399 is FDTV.

More holiday music channels added today, this time from SiriusXM:

6049 Holiday Soul (099-49)
6063 Christmas Spirit (099-63)

· Registered
256 Posts

...channel 6073 SXM73 has switched over to Holiday Traditions (099-73 on Hopper-interface receivers).
More holiday music channels added today, this time from SiriusXM:

6049 Holiday Soul (099-49)
6063 Christmas Spirit (099-63)
Collapsible channel 98 (Holiday music range) map-down channels for SiriusXM:

098-03 Holiday Traditions
098-09 Holiday Soul
098-13 Christmas Spirit

541 - 560 of 560 Posts