DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this price covers either new subscribers or dish/receiver combo...This price is pretty steep and hopefully if this unit which it says will be out late May/Early June better have all the software built in and no bugs... I have heard initially that it takes about 45 min. to download software when unit is installed....My god Directivo cost onlt $99 with a dual tuner....I hope I am wrong about this.....:mad:

·
Legend in my own mind
552 Posts
The original price was $499...and that was way too high.
Oh, I get it...
Make us wait almost a year past the original projected release date and the consumers will pay anything for one of these 'babys'.
We need to show them who the real fools are.
It's time to boycott the 721 until the price comes down.
Or at least an upgrade option for us long time Dishplayer sufferers comes along.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
I saw this an my jaw dropped, it was hard enough talking her into $499, now $599 may be really hard to sell to the wife.

We are looking so forward to getting rid of our Dishplayers.

Let's hope this way a Misprint on Mark part. But for some reason I doubt it is.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
:eek: I was afraid of this. :eek:
It sure looks like it's the price for the standalone model, it doesn't apperar to be the new subscribers or dish/receiver combo price. :mad:

·
Icon
643 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
I saw this an my jaw dropped, it was hard enough talking her into $499, now $599 may be really hard to sell to the wife.

We are looking so forward to getting rid of our Dishplayers.

Let's hope this way a Misprint on Mark part. But for some reason I doubt it is.
Scott:

I have two 501's (which have been available to subscribers for $199 each).

Like a 721, the pair of them together can record two different events simultaneously, but unlike a 721, they can be used to watch two different things at the same time.

A single person (for example in a dorm room or small apartment) only needs a 721, but anyone who lives in a situation with more than one person might appreciate the capability to watch two different programs at the same time that you get with two 501s.

PS The 153 upgrade added the search and caller ID functions that people felt were necessary, and the 154 fixed virtually all of the outstanding stability problems (note that the 154 "bug" thread consists of feature requests and other OT comments).

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
I never heard the $599 for new customers. And you would think they would get a BETTER Deal. Did i miss something?

·
Legend
123 Posts
Um... close but not quite, Chaos. According to the Tech Forum tonight, the $599 721 package includes a satellite dish, while the $549 package is simply a standalone 721. Availability was stated as late June.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Not to pour salt on anyone's wounds, but minidishes.tv has an Ultimatetv deal for new Directv subs - two Sony UTV receivers and a dish for $0 after rebate. Much better deal than $549 for one receiver.

I paid $299 for my first UTV receiver and had a hard time gettig my wife to bite off on that one, I'd never be able to get her to go for $549!

716 Posts
Originally posted by MrPete
That is $599 with a dish kit.
It is $549 just for the receiver itself.

They also said there was no upgrade available for 501 users. :(
:eek2: :rotfl: $600 for a two-tuner Dish Network PVR system from Dish Depot to a new Echostar customer VS $100 ($350 w/lifetime sub) for a DirecTiVo system from American Satellite to a new Directv customer ? :lol: Yessiree, Charlie really looooooves his customers alright :rolling:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I'm getting madder by the minute about that outrageous price. I'm actually thinking of switching to DTV now... I wouldn't mind the $10 ultimatetv subscription if I could get a Sony reciever, and I could probably get two really cheap.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
One item not addressed. LNBs. If you need two leads from the dish will e* replace the single lnb with a dual lnb for free? I have 2 DPs so already have dual lnbs. Will they give me a quad lnb for free if I go to the 721? And necessary switches?

·
Mentor
39 Posts
I seems like they are trying to recoup the money they would normally collect on the $5/month for the second tuner AND the TIVO-like lifetime subscription costs all in the up front cost of the receiver.

I think it makes the cost of the unit way too expensive. I have gotten about every new receiver they make, but I will wait on this one. I won't pay top dollar for receivers that I don't know will work as advertised. I also really want an HD capable one anyhow.

Jay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.