DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have Directv. I wanted to switch to Dish to get more HD channels and the 622 DVR. I called up and was told that under the current promotion they can offer me the 622-HD DVR, 1 SD DVR, and the dish install. It would cost me 250.00 upfront and out of that I would get 20.00 a month back for 10 months and the activation fee removed from the first bill. I would have to make an 18 month commitment too. So far so good. Anyway, the deal breaker was that I wanted 2 standard boxes for my other sets. I was told that I would have to buy them at 115.00 each and that the install is undetermined until the installer sets the price but I would be looking at 100.00 plus switched, etc which could cost hundreds. I was told this by a supervisor and when I called back another rep told me the same thing. So unfortunately I will not be getting Dish. I'm mortified that Dish charges so much for a new install. Verizon (FIOS), and Cablevision both offer all equipment for free or a nominal lease fee. I guess I'll wait for D* to come online with more HD channels or wait until Dish gets real. It's interesting because the first sakesman lied to me and was telling me you could record 2 channels on one set, watch a recorded channel and also watch live TV on a second set.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
Do you want somebodys shoulder to cry on,sorry I'm not available. You were given the standard offer 4 leased tuners,$199 upgrade fee for a 622 and a free 625 upgrade. If you want more tuners you pay for them and their installation. You've got nothing to complain about you are being treated just like any other new customer.

D* dosen't offer anymore you get 4 tuners as a new customer and pay $299 for the HR20-700 with a $100 rebate on the DVR.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
traderfjp said:
Currently I have Directv. I wanted to switch to Dish to get more HD channels and the 622 DVR. I called up and was told that under the current promotion they can offer me the 622-HD DVR, 1 SD DVR, and the dish install. It would cost me 250.00 upfront and out of that I would get 20.00 a month back for 10 months and the activation fee removed from the first bill. I would have to make an 18 month commitment too. So far so good. Anyway, the deal breaker was that I wanted 2 standard boxes for my other sets. I was told that I would have to buy them at 115.00 each and that the install is undetermined until the installer sets the price but I would be looking at 100.00 plus switched, etc which could cost hundreds. I was told this by a supervisor and when I called back another rep told me the same thing. So unfortunately I will not be getting Dish. I'm mortified that Dish charges so much for a new install. Verizon (FIOS), and Cablevision both offer all equipment for free or a nominal lease fee. I guess I'll wait for D* to come online with more HD channels or wait until Dish gets real. It's interesting because the first sakesman lied to me and was telling me you could record 2 channels on one set, watch a recorded channel and also watch live TV on a second set.
How is Dish wrong in this situation? Why do you think you should get some different deal that I and everyone else signed up for got? Four rooms is covered by your VIP622 and your 625, that's all you get without buying the other receivers, doesn't matter if you go with Dish directly or with a retailer. I'm pretty sure Direct has the same four room setup as well (though there is no reason for me to even pay attention since I don't want to have their service)
It's amazing that you are pissed cause you want a bette deal the rest of the satellite subscribers are eligible for. I guess you must just be better than the rest of us!?! :rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,518 Posts
Customer choice. You don't like the choice, so you don't get it. If enough agree, Dish will improve the offer. I don't think there's anything to get upset about.

·
Godfather
430 Posts
one thing to consider is that you can get used receivers for cheap on eBay. if all you want is a servicable receiver for the other rooms then this might be your best bet.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Slamminc11 said:
How is Dish wrong in this situation? Why do you think you should get some different deal that I and everyone else signed up for got? Four rooms is covered by your VIP622 and your 625, that's all you get without buying the other receivers, doesn't matter if you go with Dish directly or with a retailer. I'm pretty sure Direct has the same four room setup as well (though there is no reason for me to even pay attention since I don't want to have their service)
It's amazing that you are pissed cause you want a bette deal the rest of the satellite subscribers are eligible for. I guess you must just be better than the rest of us!?! :rolleyes:
You'd be surprised how common this viewpoint is. It's not just customers though, retailers can demonstrate the same sort of thing with asking for commissions exceptions, chargeback repayments, and all in the name of their longstanding histories. It makes it very difficult for newer retailerships/ (or in the above scenario) customers to compete.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I wonder about the extreme metaphor here... If someone from Dish actually went to the guy's house and dug his heart out with an actual spoon, I suspect that would be far more painful and life-changing than his displeasure with the current HD offer available.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
HDMe said:
I wonder about the extreme metaphor here... If someone from Dish actually went to the guy's house and dug his heart out with an actual spoon, I suspect that would be far more painful and life-changing than his displeasure with the current HD offer available.
I say we give it a try!

·
Icon
522 Posts
Well. With a 622 and a 625, you can record three channels, watch a recorded event and record OTA signals.

If ya dona like that deal, dona buy it.

I don't like beats, so I dona buy em.

I like medium-rare hamburgers, so I cook my own; buy Albertson's 85% blended hamburger.

Bob

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't need any shoulders to cry on and I'm not upset at all. I understand it's my choice to take the deal or not. I guess I'm a bit dissapointed that I would have to put out 600-800.00 to get the equipment I have with D*. I don't think I deserve a better deal then anyone else. I do however think that Dish should be more competitive with their offers since the cable company and FIOS are both in my area are offering the equipment for free or for a small monthly lease fee. Even if I did decide to buy the boxes they weren't willing to give me an estimate on the cost of installation. I've installed several dishes on my own and I'm not asking them to run cable through my attic so I believe that a rough estimate is in order. In any event they probably lost a customer who spends in excess of 100.00 a month is TV service, has fantastic credit and someone who has stayed with their last provider for 6 years. But my money is still good.

Personally I think that the sat companies better get it together because the cable companies, Verizon and the Telcos are closing in. FIOS is a wonderful service- gerat picture, fast channel surfing and guides but they are a lousy DVR. If you don't tape shows it's not an issue. If they get a good DVR and start uncompressing their signal the sat companies will feel the pain. My friend has Cablevision. The picture is better then D* by a small margin but the DVR is horrible and is only 160gb. In time these boxes will get better and then we'll see consolidation.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Just an aside, but... it's hard to use loyalty as a defense when you are looking to leave one provider for another. Saying "I have been with my old provider for 6 years, so that proves I am loyal" while negotiating with a potential new provider is kind of a double-edged sword.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HDME: There is no defense. I'm the customer and it's my money. My point is that for a few hundred dollars they may have lost a customer for the next 6 years or even longer. I don't tend to flop around but D* is dragging its feet with HD content or I would just stay with them. They haven't launched their sats yet. Even if they launch this summer it's going to take a lot of effort to get things right. They are also notorious for pushing dates back. Now add in the sale of D* stock which I believe means new management. You have to say how the heck are they going to get this all together in a few months. Anyway, why are you guys so hostile. E* is not being competitive, IMHO and we all no that opinions are like AS*holes we all have them.

HDMe said:
Just an aside, but... it's hard to use loyalty as a defense when you are looking to leave one provider for another. Saying "I have been with my old provider for 6 years, so that proves I am loyal" while negotiating with a potential new provider is kind of a double-edged sword.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
traderfjp said:
HDME: There is no defense. I'm the customer and it's my money. My point is that for a few hundred dollars they may have lost a customer for the next 6 years or even longer. I don't tend to flop around but D* is dragging its feet with HD content or I would just stay with them. They haven't launched their sats yet. Even if they launch this summer it's going to take a lot of effort to get things right. They are also notorious for pushing dates back. Now add in the sale of D* stock which I believe means new management. You have to say how the heck are they going to get this all together in a few months. Anyway, why are you guys so hostile. E* is not being competitive, IMHO and we all no that opinions are like AS*holes we all have them.
They are competitive just not the way you want them to be. Just because it isn't the way one person wants it for his own unusual situation doesn't mean that they are not competitive. You seem to have a very great area to live in cable FIOS and 2 different sat co's to compete for your $$.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
traderfjp said:
HDME: There is no defense. I'm the customer and it's my money. My point is that for a few hundred dollars they may have lost a customer for the next 6 years or even longer. I don't tend to flop around but D* is dragging its feet with HD content or I would just stay with them.
All I was saying is that it sounds odd to say you are loyal while in the midst of looking to dump DirecTV (your current provider). A Dish employee likely looks at that statement and thinks "hmmm, in about 5 years he will be calling DirecTV and doing the same thing looking to switch back".

But at the same time... you may have better luck going through a local Dish installer than through the Dish 1-800 number. Often times a local installer is more flexible with equipment and may be able to do a 4-room install with 3-4 receivers instead of 2 dual-tuner models. I don't blame you for wanting that kind of configuration, but since it is non-standard you have to shop around and see if anyone will give you a better deal. Don't expect them to just throw in hundreds of dollars of extra equipment on a whim, especially if they think you might be ready to bolt to FIOS or cable or somewhere else once your commitment is up.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
whatchel1 said:
They are competitive just not the way you want them to be. Just because it isn't the way one person wants it for his own unusual situation doesn't mean that they are not competitive. You seem to have a very great area to live in cable FIOS and 2 different sat co's to compete for your $$.
Of course when you are in Lubbock, every other place is a great area! ;) :D

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HDME: Actually I was contacted by an E* rep today about making my order happen. We'll see. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassles of learning a new DVR and having the installers mess with my roof and house (just got new rugs and floors). I'm thinking that the current receivers are not really up to the task of recording all HD broadcasts anyway. So at some point someone will have to offer a HD or connectivity to a computer for storage. Right now I have no commitment with anyone. If I keep Dish I'll have an 18 month stay. Although they only charge 13.00 a month to cancel the remaining months which isn't that bad. I may just sit back and see what the summer brings. In my gut I have a feeling that D* will not get more HD until the end of the summer at best. I could bite the bullet get the install and then put my D* account on hold. I guess I'll sleep on my decision. I once got a sight survey for Voom and was told that I would need a mass and the installer wasn't very interested in doing the work. He was a jobber so that would make sense so E* may not even be an option because of one large tree.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
HDMe said:
A Dish employee likely looks at that statement and thinks "hmmm, in about 5 years he will be calling DirecTV and doing the same thing looking to switch back".
More like: "The first DTV bounty that rolls along and he's outta here."

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What bounty are you talking about? The bounty of D* changing guard, the bounty of promising more HD channels and not dilvering or the rising rates. Oh myabe you're refering to the sats that haven't even launched yet.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
traderfjp said:
HDME: Actually I was contacted by an E* rep today about making my order happen. We'll see. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassles of learning a new DVR and having the installers mess with my roof and house (just got new rugs and floors). I'm thinking that the current receivers are not really up to the task of recording all HD broadcasts anyway. So at some point someone will have to offer a HD or connectivity to a computer for storage. Right now I have no commitment with anyone. If I keep Dish I'll have an 18 month stay. Although they only charge 13.00 a month to cancel the remaining months which isn't that bad. I may just sit back and see what the summer brings. In my gut I have a feeling that D* will not get more HD until the end of the summer at best. I could bite the bullet get the install and then put my D* account on hold. I guess I'll sleep on my decision. I once got a sight survey for Voom and was told that I would need a mass and the installer wasn't very interested in doing the work. He was a jobber so that would make sense so E* may not even be an option because of one large tree.
If you have followed the forums these D* satellites weren't scheduled for launch until late 2006 or early 2007. Directv really dosen't control the launch dates they contract for a launch vehicle and then have to wait for the other scheduled launches before it is their turn. Rarely does the launch take place on the first scheduled date. Directv is just as anxious to launch more HD channels as you are but they have to have a satellite to broadcastthem from. If you think FIOS or cable is better go with them but remember both cable and telcos have a history of raising prices and having hidden fees to add to your final bill. In my area at&t offers DSL for $14.95/Mo. but there isn't a single customer that get's it that cheap because they require phone service with them to get that rate, so you pay for the phone service plus taxes and access fees.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.