DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Founder
17,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EchoStar, still working on acquiring DirecTV, reportedly is considering acquiring more office space in the Denver area.

According to the Rocky Mountain News and its weekend edition, EchoStar is taking a look at several locations in South and West Denver, near its current headquarters location in Littleton. The company employs about 1,600 people at the 190,000-square-foot building known as the Riverfront Center, once a shopping mall located on the banks of the South Platte River.

Although EchoStar reportedly has looked at office space in the 500,000-plus square-foot range, the News said the company is considering the option of staying at its current location and expanding on the 32-acre site. The Riverfront Center was purchased in 1997 for the bargain price of $7.5 million.

From http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

· Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Is this due diligence or undue arrogance? While I like the idea of the efficiencies that the merger will create, something tells me that the government just won't buy it. I'm not sure I want to even think of what will happen to E* next if that is the case....

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
E* is presently acting as if the merger is a done deal-conversely, DTV is acting just the opposite and apparently making sure all their bases are covered...keep in mind that charlie will say pretty much anything if it serves his purpose, then present a mea culpa when he backs off from it after he gets his way-oine of the things that keeps him in check businesswise is strong competition, which will disappear if the merger goes thru(and no-despite all the talk, the competition is NOT between sat and cable-there's some, but it's nothing more than a smoke screen for the purposes of the merger-if the true competition WAS just between dbs and cable, you can bet charlie would be chasing after time-warner and ATT broadband)

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
-if the true competition WAS just between dbs and cable, you can bet charlie would be chasing after time-warner and ATT broadband)
He wouldn't be allowed to chase after them since cable companies are not allowed to own DBS slots. I am sure DBS companies are not allowed to own cable companies. Knowing him he wouldn't want to own a cable company (the enemy) anyway. He has built his company preaching against cable.

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
It sounds like some more preliminary planning should the merger go through. IIRC, while DirecTV and Dish are supposed to be run as seperate entities until the merger is concluded, they are allowed to have preliminary plans in place should the merger go through. There is nothing wrong with preliminary planning. DirecTV is the entity to be acquired, not Dish.

· Hall Of Fame
1,530 Posts
Sounds like prudent management to me. They need to plan for what will happen if a miracle occurs and the merger is actually approved. I would expect E* to be arranging OPTIONS to acquire space at this point, though.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
It truly sounds like arrogant posturing to me. They have time to acquire office space, if the merger is approved, after the fact. I was in Los Angeles last month and happened to drive by the Directv main office (it's right by LAX) and didn't see a For Sale sign in front of it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,036 Posts
Maybe it's totally unrelated to the merger and they are just looking for more space or are consolidating some other offices. I can't believe how little it takes for E* critics to go off on them. Looking at property is arrogant? Come on guys.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
In reading the latest Charlie Chat posted on this forum, the merger is specifically mentioned 13 times. Everything seems to be hinging on the merger. It is hard to believe that eyeing property has is just "looking at property." Why would a company that makes their empoyees double-bunk when they travel want to provide more office space for them? I will give them the benefit of the doubt, though. I was a bit hasty in my original judgment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.