DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given some of the speed issues with Dish Home and the various receiver models, does anyone actually find themselves using Dish Home on a regular basis?

For example, when I had Dishplayer, I would frequently check channel 201 for news and weather because of its ease of use and speed. I don't find that at all with Dish Home. It's easier for me to just pop onto my computer and check My Yahoo!

I was wondering if anyone a) encountered the same issues and b) knew whether improvements were in the works.

· Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
I haven't seen anything worth using in there, myself, everytime I click on something it says it is a future app. What's the use of putting it there if you can't use it?

I would like to see the local theater app enabled, even though I don't go very often, it would be nice since I don't sub to a newspaper and our local newspaper link on the web is terribly slow.

I've never had it crash on me, but even on the 501 it is too slow to be of any practical use.

· Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
Dish Home is wayyy too slow and about the only thing I use it for is to look at baseball scores. If it wasn't so sluggish it would actually be a very useful program.

· Mentor
48 Posts
I still don't have Dish Home or the 174 software on my 301. I thought it was supposed to be rolled out to all receivers by the end of September? :p Of course, I hardly ever leave my receiver off (I tend to fall asleep with the TV on, and unfortunately I'm not capable of turning it off in my sleep), so maybe that's why I don't have it yet...

[edit]stupid case-sensitive smilies, :p should be the same as :p ...[/edit]

· Godfather
432 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin
Dish Home is wayyy too slow and about the only thing I use it for is to look at baseball scores. If it wasn't so sluggish it would actually be a very useful program.
That is about it for me, baseball scores, the fantasy league on it was pretty cool, except it was never updated with the next days players when I checked it out, around 1am. I used to do really well, when I played with the players who already finished their game just recently, especially those picthers with a complete game shutout, I was brilliant, picking them after seeing ESPN highlights..

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone "in the know" about potential enhancements to performance a la Personal TV?

1,096 Posts
I was impressed with the accuracy of the theater listings overall and the fact that they had an Imax theater listed nearby which has only been open for a relatively short while. I figured the movie listings would be somewhat select in choice like the dish interactive weather setup where your home town wouldn't be listed unless it was a major city, but it looks like they did a really good job in my area in listing everything you could want and then some. The movie and tv trivia is decent as well. Baseball fantasy challenge is the only app I mess with every day right now though. Hope to see this same thing done with the NHL soon.

· Mentor/Supporter
147 Posts
Originally posted by zztzed
I still don't have Dish Home or the 174 software on my 301. I thought it was supposed to be rolled out to all receivers by the end of September?
I have two 301 receivers and only one has the Dish Home software.

When I called the tech support line to ask about it, I was told that it would be a few months before I saw the Dish Home app on the other reciver (I called about two weeks ago).

/Benjamin

· Mentor/Supporter
147 Posts
Originally posted by cnsf
Given some of the speed issues with Dish Home and the various receiver models, does anyone actually find themselves using Dish Home on a regular basis?
I do not use Dish Home all that often. While speed does not seem to be much of a problem (I have a 301), the lack of good quality content is.

The baseball app was very well put together, in my opinion. That was about all that caught my interest.

I often use the Gemstar Guide Plus thats on my RCA TV. The news features on the Guide Plus are nice. Full length articles are downloaded into the Guide. I find myself spending a lot of time reading the articles (and looking at the advertisements that show up on the side of the screen).

/Benjamin

· AllStar/Supporter
88 Posts
Dish Home on my 3900 is slow but not unbearably so. The only problems I have had on a seemingly consistent basis is with Instant Weather. Very often it will lock up on "Storing" and when it does the receiver usually decides it's time for a crash! Other than that it seems to be OK. I like the sports, hope they had more like NFL, NHL, etc. I even use Customer Support occassionally.

· AllStar/Supporter
88 Posts
Originally posted by btbrossard

Is the Customer Service app still available?

When I click on it, a "Channel Coming Soon" window comes up.

/Benjamin
Yes, at least it is on my 3900, it's been working for about two months now. I used it to pay my bill Wed. night. I don't think it's been activated on all recievers yet though, I believe they started with with 4900 and 3900 and are working on the 301 and 50x.

· Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Cool, I finally checked out the new Entertainment features. My wife wanted to take my daughter to the theatre this weekend so I went "online" to the theatre section, and sure enough, all the local listings were there with times & reviews.

Though slow, it is a useful tool. It's the first thing I've seen on there worth using.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find with the local channel mapping, as you increase in number and hit 100, changing channels to 101 becomes a nightmare.

Wouldn't it make sense to put Dish Home on Channel 1 or 9999?

As for the theatre listings, I agree that it works, but being so slow, it's faster for me to boot up my PC and go right to Yahoo! Movies.

Dish Home has potential, but it was rushed out too fast IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.