DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
phrelin said:
It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts: Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D
That's interesting as my VIP722k/wMT2 has four tuners(2OTA+2 Satellite) and I can record 4 programs at one time(while watching a previously recorded program.;):D

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
phrelin said:
Yes, you can. I can't because I can't get OTA.

What's interesting about the Hopper - and this is based on speculative discussion mostly on that other site - is that it's going to record four HD broadcast network channels off the satellite by dumping the four raw streams off one transponder onto the hard drive for future processing (meaning "parsing"). If this is true, it's a whole new approach to the satellite TV receiver system.

That almost eliminates the advantage of having an OTA tuner for recording. Over the long term, assuming it's true and they can get the system to work, it will reduce the number of Dish customers viewing directly OTA. I'm still pondering the implications.
Yes I forgot sorry.:eek:

So far the Hopper does sound very interesting. ;)

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
dvrblogger said:
courtesy of zats not funny. DISH to unveil XIP now being called Hopper at CES.http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/dish-network-to-unveil-hopper-whole-home-dvr/

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR "catch up" feature they've christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM - 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters - who'd rather license "catch up" services.

Lastly, the article indicates that the artist formerly known DISH Network will be dropping the "Network" and going solely by DISH (along with a new logo) in regards to marketing. Which, I suppose, isn't entirely surprising given their (questionable) acquisition of Blockbuster along with other non-satellite TV irons in the fire.
My one suggestion for Dish Network's name change is to put an exclamation point at the end of the word,so it would be...DISH!.

I would also like to see the Hopper to be able to accept Dish Network's MT2(Dual Tuner OTA)Module,then it would be 5 tuners(3 SAT+2OTA).;)

If the Hopper had that I would definitely want one!.:D

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
P Smith said:
On FCC pictures, the 813 has no place for MT-2. But rumors are it would be USB connected separate box (ala DTV).
Oh crap! that's all we need,to be like DTV.Let's face it if DISH does not have it(The Hopper) setup where you can record all the Primetime programs OTA(better PQ than satellite),then they definitely screwed the pooch on that receiver too!.:nono2:

Looks like I will be watching my 722k/wMT2 for a long time to come,no Hopper for me!.Thank You Dish!.:ramblinon

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
phrelin said:
And I'm sure while keeping the hardware cost down they've completely solved any potential drive-heat problems if one were to use that feature, simultaneously record from other channels on the other two satellite tuners, simultaneously record from two other OTA channels using the USB tuners, and watch a recorded show, all at the same time.:sure:

Yeah, I'm a skeptic.
Who isn't?.;):D

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
tommiet said:
With Direct already offering a whole house solution with FIVE tuners today, Dish is falling WAY behind the hardware game. I'm happy with Dish, but Directs hardware and the low to no cost of switching, makes it a hard deal to ignore.

It will take Dish a couple of years to get the bugs out of the new hardware/software and by then, the game may be over.

Dish has been losing subs for the last 2 years and Direct has been gaining. Maybe Dish's outdated hardware is part of the reason......
If you have never had D*,then I say try it,you may like it?.;)

If you are trying to save money?(special deals) there's nothing wrong with that.

As for me?,been there,done that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.