DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
dvrblogger said:
courtesy of zats not funny. DISH to unveil XIP now being called Hopper at CES.http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/dish-network-to-unveil-hopper-whole-home-dvr/

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR "catch up" feature they've christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM - 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters - who'd rather license "catch up" services.

Lastly, the article indicates that the artist formerly known DISH Network will be dropping the "Network" and going solely by DISH (along with a new logo) in regards to marketing. Which, I suppose, isn't entirely surprising given their (questionable) acquisition of Blockbuster along with other non-satellite TV irons in the fire.
It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts:
...The service is actually the 2nd most-watched 'network' behind only CBS.
Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
356B said:
Yeah, I've read the stuff there - one transponder, dump everything onto the large hard drive, parse later. It's an interesting idea that should work in theory. I don't want to be an Alpha tester when they release this thing to customers though. I can't even imagine what the code and processing is going to look like when from one box that's recording four broadcast networks, Dad's in the basement watching an NFL game from a cable channel, Mom's watching a recorded movie in the home theater, Sis is watching a recorded "90210" in her room, Junior is watching a PPV.... Well you get the idea.

I'd just like the code in my old 722 to not screw up guide updates since they added the Blockbuster menu.

I'm sure it can be done. I just have no idea who's going to provide the ongoing support when Dish marketing insists on modifying a menu on a Hopper they just finally got working well.:rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
Jhon69 said:
That's interesting as my VIP722k/wMT2 has four tuners(2OTA+2 Satellite) and I can record 4 programs at one time(while watching a previously recorded program.;):D
Yes, you can. I can't because I can't get OTA.

What's interesting about the Hopper - and this is based on speculative discussion mostly on that other site - is that it's going to record four HD broadcast network channels off the satellite by dumping the four raw streams off one transponder onto the hard drive for future processing (meaning "parsing"). If this is true, it's a whole new approach to the satellite TV receiver system.

That almost eliminates the advantage of having an OTA tuner for recording. Over the long term, assuming it's true and they can get the system to work, it will reduce the number of Dish customers viewing directly OTA. I'm still pondering the implications.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
By the way, all I wanted was a satellite tuner module for the 722k/922 similar to the OTA module.

It seemed to me to be a relatively easy thing to accomplish cheaply and would have given Dish boxes with 3 or 4 satellite tuners.

I guess Dish did a whole bunch of marketing research that indicated it was losing out by not having a whole house system.:sure:

Sounds like they'll accomplish that just as the generation that has their nose in tablets and smart phones starts to get some money. I'm sure will want to buy extra TV's so they can break all the habits they've developed and plant their bodies in a way that makes them immobile.:rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
fireponcoal said:
Who really like primetime TV this much? Serious question, I just don't get it..
Me, if "this much" means enthusiasm for the simultaneous 4-broadcast-channel 1-transponder 1-satellite-receiver recording system, if I can ignore setting timers and skip through to watch what I want without worrying about those 1 and 2 minute scheduled overruns. It frees up two receivers for recording cable, premium, and I guess PBS programming.;)

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
normang said:
Without knowing specifically how the Prime-Time feature works, its all speculative as to what can be done with it. Once we get the details, presumably. sometime today all should be revealed.
Being the skeptic I am from watching Dish release new equipment, "all should be revealed" really means "all Dish hopes they can get working may be revealed.";)

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
harsh said:
Prime Time Anytime supposedly records the multiplexed signal from the transponder and then later demuxes the shows out of the that feed.

The data rate has got to be pretty high to send an entire transponder to the hard drive for three hours.
And I'm sure while keeping the hardware cost down they've completely solved any potential drive-heat problems if one were to use that feature, simultaneously record from other channels on the other two satellite tuners, simultaneously record from two other OTA channels using the USB tuners, and watch a recorded show, all at the same time.:sure:

Yeah, I'm a skeptic.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
Stewart Vernon said:
Another issue to the usefulness...

If it truly only records the 8-11 prime time programs... What happens to things per-empted for later airing? What happens on NFL Sundays when one prime time programming has up to an hour delay some evenings?

It would have to be REALLY smart to account for these things and be reliable.
Three years ago when I had access to Echostar Engineering personnel, I asked them to look at simply adding a "start late" option like the "start early" and "end late" options that allow you to add minutes to a program.

I explained that the guides they have don't recognize scheduled overruns of one or two minutes which leaves one without the last minute of a show because one can't set the start time of the next show to be a minute or two late. And, I explained, that for many shows the first minute is "previously on" plus credits, so I already skip that.

Should have been simple, at least in my mind. Don't see that option on my 722 or 612.

Basically Dish won't enter into the 21st Century on the multitude of scheduled overruns of less than 5 minutes. So I can't imagine anyone acknowledging NFL game unscheduled overruns like last night's playoff game on CBS of 30 minutes.

If they don't give me a block of three hours for me to watch using fastfforward and skip, the feature is fabulous for the me that watched 1990 broadcast network programming but probably crap for the me that watches 2012 21st Century broadcast network programming.

But that's just my opinion and what do I know. I'm just a customer who above all values viewing whole programs over any technological advance that prevents that, even though I do consider myself a techie.

EDIT: I think I said previously that I'm a skeptic, but just in case, I'm a skeptic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.