DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
837 Posts
I wonder how they will charge for this? I assume that each Joey will cost more per month. If so, I'll be happy with sticking with my 722K.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
906 Posts
P Smith said:
Please outline a few items for us, here (what we missed).
So let me get this straight......putting me on the spot is supposed to make you feel better about your snarky comment. I'm no expert, I am just interested and I actually use the equipment... the often maligned vip922.
The reaction at "the other site" as you put it is far more positive concerning the new system. Are you threatened by Sat.Guys? I know Scott was once here, left and went on to form his own....?
I read a lot of negativity here and or suspicion. The technology is moving foreword wether you like it or not.

I was innocently reacting to what I read over there......24 pages and counting compared to your ONE. If this site does not want links be man enough to say so.....If you want to gleam more information about Hopper go the http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/275184-dish-hopper-coming-ces.html and sift through the discussion. Personally I was interested in PIP and OTA and when and how much. I get my news from multiple sources. I believe multiple sources gives multiple points of view. Clearly you have one...and I have more......:grin: Ya know P. Smith.... you really don't make me feel very welcome here.......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
123 Posts
P Smith said:
It was just an admission to SHARE your knowledge HERE; you got wrong turn, buddy ... sorry.
I really wish I could understand what you were saying, all you post is gobbildy **** and you expect everyone to know what your talking about.

Please talk english to us and maybe we will understand. Look what you wrote above, what does it mean?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
359 Posts
I was wondering the same about price. Maybe in a while it'll be a free upgrade (except of course for another 2 yr committment). That's how I ended up with my 722k

jsk said:
I wonder how they will charge for this? I assume that each Joey will cost more per month. If so, I'll be happy with sticking with my 722K.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,787 Posts
phrelin said:
It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts: Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D
That's interesting as my VIP722k/wMT2 has four tuners(2OTA+2 Satellite) and I can record 4 programs at one time(while watching a previously recorded program.;):D
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,554 Posts
Jhon69 said:
That's interesting as my VIP722k/wMT2 has four tuners(2OTA+2 Satellite) and I can record 4 programs at one time(while watching a previously recorded program.;):D
Yes, you can. I can't because I can't get OTA.

What's interesting about the Hopper - and this is based on speculative discussion mostly on that other site - is that it's going to record four HD broadcast network channels off the satellite by dumping the four raw streams off one transponder onto the hard drive for future processing (meaning "parsing"). If this is true, it's a whole new approach to the satellite TV receiver system.

That almost eliminates the advantage of having an OTA tuner for recording. Over the long term, assuming it's true and they can get the system to work, it will reduce the number of Dish customers viewing directly OTA. I'm still pondering the implications.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,554 Posts
By the way, all I wanted was a satellite tuner module for the 722k/922 similar to the OTA module.

It seemed to me to be a relatively easy thing to accomplish cheaply and would have given Dish boxes with 3 or 4 satellite tuners.

I guess Dish did a whole bunch of marketing research that indicated it was losing out by not having a whole house system.:sure:

Sounds like they'll accomplish that just as the generation that has their nose in tablets and smart phones starts to get some money. I'm sure will want to buy extra TV's so they can break all the habits they've developed and plant their bodies in a way that makes them immobile.:rolleyes:
 

·
EKB Editor
Joined
·
4,022 Posts
dvrblogger said:
Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR "catch up" feature they've christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM - 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters - who'd rather license "catch up" services.
This is great for resolving timer conflicts and pushes viewers into the "same day +7" ratings window. Since I always have a backlog of shows, that would mean cable viewing would get delayed in favor of network viewing.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,787 Posts
phrelin said:
Yes, you can. I can't because I can't get OTA.

What's interesting about the Hopper - and this is based on speculative discussion mostly on that other site - is that it's going to record four HD broadcast network channels off the satellite by dumping the four raw streams off one transponder onto the hard drive for future processing (meaning "parsing"). If this is true, it's a whole new approach to the satellite TV receiver system.

That almost eliminates the advantage of having an OTA tuner for recording. Over the long term, assuming it's true and they can get the system to work, it will reduce the number of Dish customers viewing directly OTA. I'm still pondering the implications.
Yes I forgot sorry.:eek:

So far the Hopper does sound very interesting. ;)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,787 Posts
dvrblogger said:
courtesy of zats not funny. DISH to unveil XIP now being called Hopper at CES.http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/dish-network-to-unveil-hopper-whole-home-dvr/

Beyond those compelling, albeit anticipated, whole-home functionality, the Hopper introduces a DVR "catch up" feature they've christened Primetime Anytime. Basically, one of the three tuners appears to be co-opted to record local affiliate programming (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) between 8PM - 11PM with programming retained for about a week. Clever! Seeya, Hulu Plus? But I wonder if this sort of automated solution will raise the ire of broadcasters - who'd rather license "catch up" services.

Lastly, the article indicates that the artist formerly known DISH Network will be dropping the "Network" and going solely by DISH (along with a new logo) in regards to marketing. Which, I suppose, isn't entirely surprising given their (questionable) acquisition of Blockbuster along with other non-satellite TV irons in the fire.
My one suggestion for Dish Network's name change is to put an exclamation point at the end of the word,so it would be...DISH!.

I would also like to see the Hopper to be able to accept Dish Network's MT2(Dual Tuner OTA)Module,then it would be 5 tuners(3 SAT+2OTA).;)

If the Hopper had that I would definitely want one!.:D
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,787 Posts
Jhon69 said:
My one suggestion for Dish Network's name change is to put an exclamation point at the end of the word,so it would be...DISH!.

I would also like to see the Hopper to be able to accept Dish Network's MT2(Dual Tuner OTA)Module,then it would be 5 tuners(3 SAT+2OTA).;)

If the Hopper had that I would definitely want one!.:D
On FCC pictures, the 813 has no place for MT-2. But rumors are it would be USB connected separate box (ala DTV).
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,220 Posts
phrelin said:
It all sounds cool but I don't get the description of that catch up feature...

Uh....

I have two ViP DVR's now in order to have four tuners when I need to record from four networks at the same time. As it is, I spend considerable time making sure I get whole programs, what with those 1 & 2 minute scheduled overruns which overlap competing programming.

I hope Dish doesn't overreach with a goal too complex for to be adequately written in code or creating a feature too constraining to seasoned customers.

Regarding branding "Dish" by dropping "Network" just as it's folding Blockbuster into its fold, Netflix is being called a "network" by analysts: Conceptually "channel" can mean "to convey through or as through a channel" so IMHO they may have been better off to drop the "Dish" as they expand their means of channeling programming to customers. Or maybe "Dishbuster" ... oh, that doesn't sound too good.:D
What if I don't like network TV? Can one turn that feature off?
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Paul Secic said:
I wonder if the price of the 922 will go down when this new receiver comes next year?
The 922 isn't available for upgrades until the BBMP software rolls out, but with a new 2-year agreement the 922 will be $0.
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,787 Posts
Slamminc11 said:
according to Scott over at satguys, yes.
I would say according rumors at sg site ... for sure he don't have it in his hands nor have direct contact with developers. As to marketing ppl who are perhaps feeding him, those ppl are last to know what real device can do in particular version.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,787 Posts
P Smith said:
On FCC pictures, the 813 has no place for MT-2. But rumors are it would be USB connected separate box (ala DTV).
Oh crap! that's all we need,to be like DTV.Let's face it if DISH does not have it(The Hopper) setup where you can record all the Primetime programs OTA(better PQ than satellite),then they definitely screwed the pooch on that receiver too!.:nono2:

Looks like I will be watching my 722k/wMT2 for a long time to come,no Hopper for me!.Thank You Dish!.:ramblinon
 
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top