DBSTalk Forum banner

Dish in-motion options/experiences with a Wally on a boat

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bimmerboy750 
#1 ·
Hi. Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn't turn up anything with my search skills. I currently have on my boat on the east coast a Wally (earlier days I used a VIP211k) connected up to an original Tailgater. For the most part, this configuration has worked well, but only while docked. I rest the Tailgater on a piling or the dock because it needs a stable stationary surface.

I've been looking at in-motion dishes that Dish promotes such as the Winegard Traveler T4 (about $1299), and others which are the Winegard Durasat D4 ($899), and KVH's Tracvision TV1 ($1999). I think all of these like the Tailgater look at the West Arc. I haven't found any in-motion dishes that'll look at the East Arc.

I've read elsewhere that boaters were able to set certain dip switches on the T4 or D4 that'll inhibit the dishes going into sleep mode, and doing say they claim no signal drops underway or at anchor despite these units being marketed to truckers and RV'ers (units by default need to detect 10 or more MPH of motion to awaken and re-acquire).

Obviously, I'm leaning toward the D4 with sleep mode inhibited. Anyone else with this setup, please share your experience/feedback. The KVH TV1 is pretty much sure to work, but the price is steep. Also, if you know of any in-motion units that'll look at East Arc, please share.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
It doesn't look like EA is in the cards according to the spec sheets so you should contact both Winegard and Tracvision and see what they have to say about any updates they may have made.

Do you venture far into the North or East Atlantic?

The magic of being on the ocean is that you typically don't have to deal with mountains, buildings, trees or other obstructions.

I'm wondering if something designed for truck use is "quick" enough to be used in rougher seas. Another question for the manufacturers.

#3 ·
We cruise bay waters, but you have a good point regarding quick enough. At sea, there can be up 6 axes moving independently and at different rates at the same time. For truck use, one can make simplifying assumptions about all that that can result in a less costly device.

Frankly, I've pretty much moved on from the whole idea at this point. If I see one of these used at really low price, I might then get one and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.