DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 5LNB dish installed and I wanted to check the signal strength on the appropriate channels. I live in Erie, PA. Can anyone point me towards the appropriate location? A few of my signals were really low - as in 36, 22, 14, etc. - but they were on dishes and transponders that didn't seem to matter. Most of the other satellites and transponders were in the mid 90s.

Do the numbers and transponders vary by where you are in the country?
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
328 Posts
iacas said:
I just had my 5LNB dish installed and I wanted to check the signal strength on the appropriate channels. I live in Erie, PA. Can anyone point me towards the appropriate location? A few of my signals were really low - as in 36, 22, 14, etc. - but they were on dishes and transponders that didn't seem to matter. Most of the other satellites and transponders were in the mid 90s.

Do the numbers and transponders vary by where you are in the country?
Some of the transponders are spot beamed so yes they will vary.
 

· DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Yes they do..
Right, so do you know where I might find a list of the sats and transponders that matter to me in Erie, PA so that I may check their strength?

My original question (which I've just re-asked) wasn't very clear. I apologize.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
iacas said:
I just had my 5LNB dish installed and I wanted to check the signal strength on the appropriate channels. I live in Erie, PA. Can anyone point me towards the appropriate location? A few of my signals were really low - as in 36, 22, 14, etc. - but they were on dishes and transponders that didn't seem to matter. Most of the other satellites and transponders were in the mid 90s.

Do the numbers and transponders vary by where you are in the country?
Those numbers sound about right. I'm just south of Allentown and here are my numbers. We're at least in the same state:

Sat 101 - All transponders > 95 (most higher) except for 28 which is 0
Sat 110 - Transponders 8, 10 = 95; 12 = 96
Sat 119 - Transponder values beginning at 22: 96 91 97 69 98 92 97 80 97 0 98
Sat 99b - Transponder values beginning at 1: 97, 49, 97, 47, 92, 82, rest = N/A
Sat 103a - Transponder values beginning at 1: 6, 0, 91, 93, 84, 84, rest = N/A
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
snewo said:
Those numbers sound about right. I'm just south of Allentown and here are my numbers. We're at least in the same state:

Sat 101 - All transponders > 95 (most higher) except for 28 which is 0
Sat 110 - Transponders 8, 10 = 95; 12 = 96
Sat 119 - Transponder values beginning at 22: 96 91 97 69 98 92 97 80 97 0 98
Sat 99b - Transponder values beginning at 1: 97, 49, 97, 47, 92, 82, rest = N/A
Sat 103a - Transponder values beginning at 1: 6, 0, 91, 93, 84, 84, rest = N/A
I have gotten all tp's on 101,110, & 119 in three US states. So in my opinion you should too. Your readings for 99 and 103 look fine. BTW what model dish are you using? AT-9 or Slimline?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
iacas said:
I just had my 5LNB dish installed and I wanted to check the signal strength on the appropriate channels. I live in Erie, PA. Can anyone point me towards the appropriate location? A few of my signals were really low - as in 36, 22, 14, etc. - but they were on dishes and transponders that didn't seem to matter. Most of the other satellites and transponders were in the mid 90s.

Do the numbers and transponders vary by where you are in the country?
Can you tell us the type of dish you have? What are your readings? Thanks...
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,436 Posts
There is no valid way to compare signal strengths between dishes, or receivers. They are only relative indications. Two different receivers connected to the same dish can show different signal strengths. The same receiver connected to two different dishes can show different signal strengths. Variances as much as 20 units are regularly reported by users where both dishes are properly aligned and both are properly receiving all of their subscribed programming.

Carl
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
carl6 said:
There is no valid way to compare signal strengths between dishes, or receivers. They are only relative indications. Two different receivers connected to the same dish can show different signal strengths. The same receiver connected to two different dishes can show different signal strengths. Variances as much as 20 units are regularly reported by users where both dishes are properly aligned and both are properly receiving all of their subscribed programming.

Carl
Thanks everyone for the feedback...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top