DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got the 8 minute video (automatically downloaded) detailing the new functions. It's From Dish Network regarding the caller ID and Search feature on the 501.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
That is a cool feature of the 501's that videos can be downloaded to your Hard Drive without you knowing about it.

While some people would not like that I think it is great for people who don't read these groups to get instructions on how to use their new software.

Another good job by Dish.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Aaaakkkk! I can't believe you think this is a good thing, Scott! First question I have is what happens when you don't have 8 minutes of space available on your drive and have some programs unprotected? Will they get blown away so you can watch someone tell you how to press the # key on your remote?!? And secondly, I paid a lot of money for that drive space - it's mine to do with what I want, not Dish's. I choose what gets recorded there because the box is mine. If I were renting the box from Dish, then I would have no problems with them sending me material that I didn't ask for. But when they invade my space with material that I didn't request, then that's nothing less than trespassing. Third, what if I'm recording something when they decide to send video to me that I don't want? Will it stop the recording that I DO want?

If they want to educate people on how to use the software, run the 8 minute loop on 101 ad infinitum - maybe they'd sell some 501s as well when non-501 owners see the new features.

Rant mode off...I'm calming down now.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Actually Mark,

Dish has put aside some "reserved space" on their PVR's which is intended for Dish Network use, so the video downloaded does not take away from the customers space.

They mentioned this feature on one of the chats, its how they entend to do psudo video on demand without taking space and recording time away from the customer.

Again I think its a neat use of the technology, and I would rather have them do it this way then to put a loop up which means they would have to compress the signal more. :D

·
12,527 Posts
Gotta have a good rant at least once a day, knowhatImean? A loop wouldn't compress the signal any more than it already is if they did it on channel 101, where thay have all the other loops running nonstop. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm use to it, Mark always disagree's with me on everything. :p
I think this is wonderful with what Dish is doing regarding the video, wouldn't it be cool if the did this after every upgrade. :)
Even if it was just a brief message telling us what changes were made and why.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
I think it's pretty cool. I just got that video clip today, and I actually did learn something from it. lol If you search for something like "Sea", it will also find "Seattle" If you want to find an exact match, put a space at the end of what you are searching on. Nifty!

·
12,527 Posts
Sorry John, I don't mean to disagree with everything you say :shrug: ...

As for the video clip, I didn't have it yet, as of last night. Will check back tonight. Does it show up in your PVR list or somewhere else?

·
AllStar
86 Posts
I agree with the others. This is a really cool way of informing us about the new features. I hope that Dish continues to do this in the future.

Good job Dish!

·
6 Posts
I thought the 8 min video was a nice touch. The only thing I didn't like about it was I got it about 1 month after the upgrade, and I had already figured all the new things out on my own, or thru this forum!

·
12,527 Posts
Of course they didn't produce the video before the upgrade! They had to rely on us to tell them that the features worked! :D

Anyway, I've changed my opinion about this video. I thought it was of a higher quality than what dish usually produces, and it was reasonably short and to the point. They didn't even try to get you to upgrade to AT150 and CC autopay! They stayed on topic, and as an added touch, they also covered some of the new features that have come out in the last 6 months. The only real thing that bugged me about it was the 30 seconds of dish logo and muzak at the beginning, and the 2 minutes of the same at the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.