DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

· Godfather
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish announced today that they will have 150 HD channels by the end of the year as well as 1080p starting TOMORROW, as well as 17 new National HD channels TOMORROW. Talk about killing the momentum...How could they do this on-the-fly?
Today we get MPEG2 to MPEG4 conversions and they get all that??:nono: :nono2:

· Hall Of Fame
1,348 Posts
bruinfever said:
Dish announced today that they will have 150 HD channels by the end of the year as well as 1080p starting TOMORROW, as well as 17 new National HD channels TOMORROW. Talk about killing the momentum...How could they do this on-the-fly?
You're half right...about the sucking part.

· Godfather
279 Posts
bruinfever said:
Who?............................................CARES!

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Competition is always good. I wouldn't be too worried about how DIRECTV is doing. I have a feeling that they will stay on top.

· Hall Of Fame
2,239 Posts
bruinfever said:
As far as I'm concerned 1080p is just a gimmick.:nono2: What stations are actually broadcasting in 1080p? :confused: If it's PPV you'd be better off renting a BLU Ray movie.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Well, they could always put a bunch more over-compressed channels on each transponder to boost their "HD" numbers, since there is no FCC-mandated definition of the term, nor minimum required bandwidth. It'll look like crap, but they can do it. :p

· Hall Of Fame
2,239 Posts
LameLefty said:
Well, they could always put a bunch more over-compressed channels on each transponder to boost their "HD" numbers, since there is no FCC-mandated definition of the term, nor minimum required bandwidth. It'll look like crap, but they can do it. :p
But then wouldn't they just be competing with Comcast for worst HD picture?? :rolleyes:

· Registered
5,670 Posts
So?

DirecTV's announcement this week was much more impressive.

Dish is still playing catch up with HD channels and DirecTV already has capacity for 150 HD channels, tons of HD locals. Plus DirecTV will have more capacity when D12 launches next year.

As for 1080p, it appears to be limited to movies offered via Dish's VOD and PPV. So what, DirecTV has already announced that they will offer this before the end of the year.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
bruinfever said:
Reminds me of the old joke, where the kid runs into the bar yelling Cowboy, cowboy, come quick.. Someone let all the air out of your Horse. Anyone who responded was shown to be a drugstore cowboy

· Godfather
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
idigg said:
Uncompressed over the air signals aren't even 1080p, how does DISH do it?

COMPRESSION.
evan_s said:
Just another sign they've gotta be compressing the hell out of their signal too.
LameLefty said:
This is the answer that's always given, compression compression.....They've been adding channels very frequently and I cant see how they can add as many channels as they have in the past few months by just compressing. I doubt DirecTV could add 50 HD channels on their capacity (without D11) as well as 1080p now by simply compressing....

· Registered
15,592 Posts
From the posts I've seen people are very happy with the new MPEG4 versions of the old MPEG2 channels for PQ. Let's see what the E* folks have to say tomorrow when E*'s add all their new HD channels about PQ.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Either way you go. Competition is good for the consumer. I say to Dish. Add them. Light it up. Maybe D* will push more out faster. I am a D* sub. I am not going anywhere, but the more HD the happier we all will be.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.