DBSTalk Forum banner

Dish Letter: Upgrade Receiver (721 etc)

23K views 175 replies 54 participants last post by  BBCInc 
I have a 508 and 721 - I haven't received a letter yet. I currently own both receivers and do not get charged any DVR monthly fees. I believe they would want to charge me a fee with the 522. When it is swapped out, I would guess I would NOT own this new receiver - would the new receiver have a lease or DVR fee attached to it - those are some of the questions I will ask if I get this letter.

I currently have a 508 and 721 and got the letter today. I looked online and they said I could get the 722 installed for $200, 622 for $150 installed. CSR said they couldn't go any lower and that I couldn't install it myself. On the plus side, they're coming this Friday (they could have come as early as Wednesday). Not as good a deal as initial poster, but I'm ok with it. I will need to pay $10/mo. extra, no DVR fees, but did have to agree to a new 2 year commitment. I'll drop the 508 after the install, than my monthly cost will only increase $5/month since I won't have the extra receiver fee. Right now I pay $42.99 ($37.99 plus $5 extra receiver fee). Initial increase will go to $52.99, once I drop the 508 it will drop $5.

makman said:
Has anyone got a 722 in exchange for their 721 without any charge or new monthly fees? I don't have an HDTV but hope to get one someday.
Mitch
No, they are charging me $200 installed (they wouldn't let me do it myself). I could get it free if I would take the 522. I know I want HD soon, so now is as good a time as any. The 622 has a lot less space and was only $50 cheaper, so I went with the 722. The CSR wouldn't even offer the HD DVR's until I said I wanted HD. Monthly fee will always go up for the HD service. I am NOT being charged a DVR fee. I am keeping the 508 for now and was told several times my bill will increase $10/mo. for the HD service.

I am planning on buying the HD set before Friday when the tech will come to do the install. When you move from a 721 to a 722 installed, will the tech bring all necessary cables including HDMI, or will they expect me to have those?

AppliedAggression said:
For those of you that were able to get the 622/722 instead of the 522, what did you ask for?

I talked to Customer Retention yesterday and they said they could NOT budge on the 522 offer, no other receiver could be offered. The best they could offer me was a 622/722 and waive the DVR fee for a year, at which point I'd have to call back and see if it could be waived again. They said it couldn't be offered instead of the 522.

Is this what some of you did or was it offered as a substitute for the 522 and the DVR fee is wavied as long as it's on the account?
They said the same thing to me until I said I wanted HD - than they're forced to offer you a 622/722. They said I could NOT install it myself and the charge would be $150 for the 622 or $200 for the 722. I told them I wanted the 722 (a lot more space). An earlier poster was able to get it for $125 but I believe they managed to get that by installing it themselves - they refused my offer.

mantry said:
QUESTION: Is the ONLY difference in the 622/722 just the size of the HD? 350SD/55HD hrs for the 722 versus 200SD/30HD hrs for the 622?

We get by with 90 SD hrs on our 721 so I don't see a big deal unless we really start to pile up the HD content. My wife who does the majority of the recording/watching "Her" shows is pretty good about watching and cleaning up.
Color and HD space is the difference. Keep in mind the 722 only allows for 55 hours of HD recording. The 622 only allows for 30 hours. To me, that difference is worth $50 more, but that's me. I think the external HD option comes with another fee - I don't know how much. Yes, there's A LOT of space for SD programming, but if you have a HDTV, why would you record in SD unless you had a space issue. I doubt you'll be able to increase your space that much for only $50 in the future.

avchong said:
I was also told that there would definitely be no Lease or DVR fees for the upgrade. Well, my 721 upgrade to a 625 was installed on 9/20/08 and my account was immediately charged a monthly LEASED RECEIVER FEE of $5.00 plus taxes. Called their billing dept. and was told that the lease and DVR fees apply.

Can anyone else check their account and see if they have been charged.
I am now having this same problem after specifically asking them about lease and or DVR fees associated with the 722 - I was told that there were "no fees" of any kind for the 722. Now they don't want to give me a supervisor because they say it is a "valid charge." Now they are saying the fee will be waived for 4 months.

puckwithahalo said:
The free exchange for the 721 has no commitment. But it also would have been for a 625 not a 622 ; Sounds like you participated in an upgrade promotion, not the discontinued receiver promotion. Which would be why the fees were not waived as well. They only applied to the free replacement, not upgrade promotions.
Yeah, I understand that now. However, I was very specific when I questioned the CSR who confirmed I would not be charged a DVR/lease fee for the 722. The good news is Dish called me this morning and agreed to waive the charge since I was told incorrect information by the CSR.

Jupiter said:
Well.... This actually messes up my master plan with my wife.

The 508 is starting to have little problems here and there. I told my wife that we should do the upgrade to the 622 or 722 in order to get a TON more storage space for the kids programming that seems to have taken over our 508. With the HD capabilities of the 622/722, I figure it was my best chance to get her to upgrade 13 year old Sony 27" to a new HD TV.... Now that they sent a second 522, she will see that as a great replacement for the 508 and I won't be able to get an HD TV for who knows how long!
Another nice thing abou tthe 722 is that the recorded programs can be accessed by either TV. I used to record things on the 508 and 721, but obviously could only watch the program on whichever TV had the recording (without moving the receiver). The 722 has a lot more space and the programs can be watched from either room. My HDTV comes in next week - I can hardly wait.

makman said:
try ceoATechostar.com
If you want to OWN the 625, you can always BUY it. ceo e-mail is not going to give it to you for free, but they might not charge you the lease fee. The difference is that when you terminate service, you must return the leased equipment.

I also went from a 508 and 721 to the 722. I am very happy with the move. I don't own it, so now I get charged sales tax every month (presumably on the value of the lease that they aren't charging me for).

jgoggan said:
Just to note it, my 721 to 722 upgrade went pretty much like Webslinger's did -- except that I hadn't heard of anyone getting it for less than $125, so I ended up paying that instead of only $75 like he did. But, then again, I didn't have any change to my monthly fee (for lease or DVR stuff) except for the extra $10 for HD.

So, in the end, it all worked out well.

I will note that it did NOT go well at first -- they charged me 3 different times for installation that was supposed to be free. My $125 install turned into a $400 install. And my monthly went up $20/month at first because they did some higher HD tier than I had asked for. It took an email to CEO to get it all worked out. But, in the end, I pay exactly $10 more per month that I did before the 721->722 upgrade.

- John...
My facts were similar to yours except I paid more on installation ($200) and only ended up paying $5 more per month. I'm only paying $5 more and getting the HD because I no longer get charged for a second receiver. I had a 721 and 508 and only use the 722 now. I'm very happy with this setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.