DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
Joined
·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,561 Posts
Oh, DirecTV CEO Mike White said it this time. And Dish CEO Joe Clayton said it the last time. And everyone acknowledges that the FCC would be a tough sell. Until next time....
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
835 Posts
I am sick of hearing about mergers in the media. It has already gone too far. More media mergers = the less available free speech + less competition + higher rates + lower service + crappier programming.

Mike White even realizes that if Obama is reelected, this issue is a "nonstarter."
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,430 Posts
SayWhat? said:
Who gets custody of AMC?
I would imagine that there's some question about whether AMC will be around long enough to worry about what happens then.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
501 Posts
Marlin Guy said:
I'm down with it.
Just keep the DirecTV programmers the Hell away from my Hopper and Joeys. :p
Not to mention the DirecTV techs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
As long as Directv is the one running the company, and signing the network contracts thats fine,
But personally I would just let Dish bankrupt themselves, Offer dish customers a big insentive to sign up with Directv.

I mean really what contracts or programming does Dish have that we don't or couldn't get.

Your equipment, Oh well ! looks like you wouldn't have much choice Its 14 million against 28 million.:p:p
Looks like HR's it is!
 

·
Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,056 Posts
damondlt said:
...Your equipment, Oh well ! looks like you wouldn't have much choice Its 14 million against 28 million. :p
Looks like HR's it is!
As Spock would say, that is illogical. The HR is a flawed technology. The better technology should prevail. I don't believe a merger will happen anytime in the foreseeable, but if it were to happen, a forward-thinking board of directors would hire Charlie as chairman, and Mike, as Pres & CEO, would move the primary stb technology to future versions of the harper/joey.

I'm just saying...
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
Nick said:
As Spock would say, that is illogical. The HR is a flawed technology. The better technology should prevail. I don't believe a merger will happen anytime in the foreseeable, but if it were to happen, a forward-thinking board of directors would hire Charlie as chairman, and Mike, as Pres & CEO, would move the primary stb technology to future versions of the harper/joey.

I'm just saying...
DISH equipment is too limited for many DIRECTV subs. DISH has always done things intentionally to limit their consumers equipment plans which has a negative impact attracting specific markets to them.

What would really happen is that for probably 1-2 years it would be business as normal until one day they stopped activating accounts for which ever company was the purchased one. Then after 1-2 years as people moved or disconnected they would be migrated over. During that time SD customers who wanted to upgrade to HD services or add DVR's would be migrated over during that upgrade process. Then 3-4 years after that forced market segments would be migrated as a roll out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
Shades228 said:
DISH equipment is too limited for many DIRECTV subs. DISH has always done things intentionally to limit their consumers equipment plans which has a negative impact attracting specific markets to them.

What would really happen is that for probably 1-2 years it would be business as normal until one day they stopped activating accounts for which ever company was the purchased one. Then after 1-2 years as people moved or disconnected they would be migrated over. During that time SD customers who wanted to upgrade to HD services or add DVR's would be migrated over during that upgrade process. Then 3-4 years after that forced market segments would be migrated as a roll out.
Agree, Dish can't fill my needs with equipment or programming.

Obviously they can't fill atleast 28 million other needs either.
 

·
Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,821 Posts
Shades228 said:
What would really happen is that for probably 1-2 years it would be business as normal until one day they stopped activating accounts for which ever company was the purchased one.
Still waiting for Sirius/XM to do that.
 

·
Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,821 Posts
damondlt said:
Agree, Dish can't fill my needs with equipment or programming.

Obviously they can't fill atleast 28 million other needs either.
Just merge DirecTv sports with Dish basics along with Hopper/Joey(s) and call it a day.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
Davenlr said:
Just merge DirecTv sports with Dish basics along with Hopper/Joey(s) and call it a day.
As long as I can lease 4 hoppers without buying buying 2 of them.:)
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
Davenlr said:
Still waiting for Sirius/XM to do that.
stevester23 said:
I think I recall hearing the same thing several years ago about XM & Sirius.
That would have made the most sense and I think that is part of the reason why Liberty is looking at taking over.

That also was a different situation as neither of those companies was solvent and both of these companies are. That was out of necessity where this would be out of making a dominant company that would give itself more leverage in the market place.
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top