DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, Sorry if this is not an appropriate forum for this question.

I have a DishNetwork System.

I have a dual LNB satellite dish on the roof - I am only running one cable into the house because I am using existing cabling that came with the house.

There are two cables run from the outside to my panel inside the house. One will bring in cable (TV) and the other I will use to bring in the satellite.

From my panel to each room is only a single cable, so I want to send both Cable and SAT to 4 of the rooms and plan to use a 3x4 multiswitch to do that.

So for pretty straight forward - but here are the questions:

- Running a second cable run from my dish will be tough (may require punching holes in drywall) - 3x4 switches require two SAT inputs - can I split my single line with a SAT specific splitter and use that as the dual inputs?

- should I use a powered 3x4 multiswitch? Do powered ones boost signal? which ones do you guys recommend that WORK with DISH?

Looking forward to your answers folks - thanks a lot.

Pickle

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Assuming you have DISH Pro (DP) LNBF's, The DP34 is not powered and works fine as it is. For the setup you are asking about, just mount the DP34 at the dish and you will be fine with 1 line into the house. Again, this is provided that your only supplying 1 single tuner Dish Sat receiver. Now, if you are only looking to provide 110/119 to a single Dish Network 811 receiver, and you know your only going to feed it 110 and 119, than a DP21 switch or a DP-Twin LNBF is a cheaper option. But know that a DP21 would only feed 1 single tuner sat receiver.

You do have options, but again we really need to know what your end goal and future (explansion?) plans are.

·
Icon
546 Posts
pickle said:
Hello Folks, Sorry if this is not an appropriate forum for this question.

I have a DishNetwork System.

I have a dual LNB satellite dish on the roof - I am only running one cable into the house because I am using existing cabling that came with the house.

There are two cables run from the outside to my panel inside the house. One will bring in cable (TV) and the other I will use to bring in the satellite.

From my panel to each room is only a single cable, so I want to send both Cable and SAT to 4 of the rooms and plan to use a 3x4 multiswitch to do that.

So for pretty straight forward - but here are the questions:

- Running a second cable run from my dish will be tough (may require punching holes in drywall) - 3x4 switches require two SAT inputs - can I split my single line with a SAT specific splitter and use that as the dual inputs?

- should I use a powered 3x4 multiswitch? Do powered ones boost signal? which ones do you guys recommend that WORK with DISH?

Looking forward to your answers folks - thanks a lot.

Pickle
You can combine a second line from the dish with the cable line in with a diplexer. At your panel inside, separate the two signals with a second diplexer. Just splice the second sat line with the cable line before it enters your house with the diplexer. You can place the 34 switch inside at the panel. You have the flexibility from there to move the rcvr to diffferent rooms as needed. You'll need to diplex the sat/cable signals from the panel to the individual rooms again. If you're going to upgrade in the future to the current HD rcvrs and add dual tuner rcvrs/more than two single tuner rcvrs, you'll need an entirely different configuration. Also, you'll have to diplex your sat/cable signal because unlike DTV's 3X4 switch that combines your two signals, DN's 34 switch does not.

·
Icon
822 Posts
Obviously we need more information from you on just what exactly is on your roof. Is it an older dish (aka dish300)? Does it have just 1 lnb on it aproximatly 2 inches wide or is it a larger lnb aproximately 4 inches wide? Does the dish say Dish500? a 3x4 switch will only work if you fall in the 1st scenario, otherwise you'll need a dishnetwork switch, and depending on which dish500 you've got could mean either a sw44/sw64 switch or a Dp34 switch. Neither of which would will combine catv. I do believe you can use diplexers to, in fact I know you can, to feed both cable and satv to each room. The only scenario where you wouldnt be able to is if your setup is DishPro Plus and your going to be using a 'dual tuner' somewhere. Your 1 satelite feed goes where? You will need to add another cable from dish, I dont see any other way around that if your thinking of having 4 recevers. This cable can be run outside your house and not necessary to run thru the house and cut dry wall, since you said you have 2 cables that currently come into your house from outside. These 2 can serve as your sat feeds (assuming your 1 sat feed is allready feeding to this location) and you can simply diplex the cable to get in into your house to your distribution box. The switch can be installed in this box.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks,

I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Here are some answers:

LNB: I have a dual LNB on that Dish that feeds a dishpro receiver.

Cable runs:
My situation was that I do have 2 cables coming into the house from where the Cable box is on the outside of the house. Once of these cables is being used for CATV (connection was "locked" by the installer), the other I am currenlty using to bring in my single feed from he dish on the roof, to the junction box in the utility room.

I actually ended up running a third cable from the cable junction box to the inside panel, I thought I would have to punch holes in the walls, but I was able to snake it over along length of ceiling.

Once I did that, I was able to provide the second input to the 3x4 switch.

The main question, which may be moot now, was if I could split a single SAT line in order to feed a device that requires a dual SAT feed.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
You never mentioned the type of lnb. There are 3, legacy, DishPro and DishPro Plus. If the lnb on the Sat is DPP then a seperator could be used behind the receiver with one line to the sat. Otherwise, no.

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Actually, using a DP "Single" or "Dual" only, you can split it using the very rare and fairly not known about DP "Splitter". But this would only provide 2 feeds from 1 LNBF and not both LNBF's, which in my opinion defeats the purpose.

Oh, and any receiver will run off a single dish "orbit", you could feed the receiver just 119 west and it would work. However you could possibly loose the ability to receive a number of channels you would be paying for, depending on your package. At minimum you want a connection to both 110 and 119.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.