DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Legend/Supporter
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going camping this weekend and am planning to take a single LNB dish (my very first one) and my 622 and point the Dish at sat 110 to pickup ESPN-HD on my widescreen LCD monitor.

Are there any issues with doing this? Since it is a single LNB--I shouldn't need a switch--just coax from the dish to the 622. This seems so simple--I wanted to be sure I am not missing anything.

(the campsite has electricity :) )

Thanks!!

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
You have the dish and receiver - why not just practice aiming there at home with a single coax? You certainly can get programming without a connection to 119, but you can't download the EEPG. You need both connections to do lots of things and if your "old single" is a legacy but you use DP now, you'll need to complete a switch check. You can't Pip/Swap/record something else while you watch ESPN-HD, but you should be able to watch. Stage it yourself to verify.

· Legend/Supporter
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CABill said:
You have the dish and receiver - why not just practice aiming there at home with a single coax? You certainly can get programming without a connection to 119, but you can't download the EEPG. You need both connections to do lots of things and if your "old single" is a legacy but you use DP now, you'll need to complete a switch check. You can't Pip/Swap/record something else while you watch ESPN-HD, but you should be able to watch. Stage it yourself to verify.
That's the plan. I am going to hook it all up and aim at the 110 tomorrow to test it out. I was curious about the switch -- I just go straight from the LNB into the SAT input 1 -- right.

· Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
With a 622 both switch matrices need to be the same. It needs to be a dual LNBF on the dish and 2 cables. There may be some issues with the Extended EPG being on 119 now.

· Legend/Supporter
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JohnH said:
With a 622 both switch matrices need to be the same. It needs to be a dual LNBF on the dish and 2 cables. There may be some issues with the Extended EPG being on 119 now.
Are you absolutely certain of this? I recall connecting one of my last two receivers up to just a single input while I wated 2-3 days for the installer to show up with the DP-44 and Dish 1000...

I have a couple of DP34s laying around. If I connect the single LNBF feed as input to the DP 34 and run two lines from the output side to the 622--would that work? If not, what is my best option? Camping dates are set, and we have a big game Saturday night :)

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
If the lnb is a DishProPlus, a seperator would do the trick. I would think either switch would work, but am not sure. I would definately try it before hand and make sure.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Is the Single LNB DishPro or legacy? If Legacy, do a Sw Check with nothing connected before connecting the legacy to be extra safe. If a legacy, you couldn't use it with the DP34.

I just connected my 942 to 129 only on Tuner 1 (nothing on tuner 2). Switch check generated a dialog window saying "Only 1 connection, normal operation will be adversely affected" (close only). I'm watching Rave or anything else on 129.

The 942 software is different from a 622, but both of my tuners essentially have "no switch detected" and only one of them shows a sat connection.

· Legend/Supporter
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CABill said:
Is the Single LNB DishPro or legacy? If Legacy, do a Sw Check with nothing connected before connecting the legacy to be extra safe. If a legacy, you couldn't use it with the DP34.

I just connected my 942 to 129 only on Tuner 1 (nothing on tuner 2). Switch check generated a dialog window saying "Only 1 connection, normal operation will be adversely affected" (close only). I'm watching Rave or anything else on 129.

The 942 software is different from a 622, but both of my tuners essentially have "no switch detected" and only one of them shows a sat connection.
Good point. The dish is at my dad's house, so I don't know which version it is. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a 500. How do I distinguish legacy from DPP?

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
CABill said:
The same warning will appear on a 622. I had a switch problem with my DPP44 needing resetting a week or so ago and for a while Tuner 2 was dead. Tuner 1 and DVRd events worked fine. (A complete power down of the switch reset it.)

Put the receiver in dual mode and make sure you skip or delete any timers that would fire on TV2 while you were out in the woods.

The LNBs are labeled. If they say DP than they are DishPro. There is only one LNB that includes a DP Plus switch inside it's case ... it is a two satellite LNB labeled DP Plus. But you shouldn't need it. As long as your old LNB (even legacy) is in good working condition it should work for what you are doing. Just maike sure you do a switch check with ALL satellite feeds disconnected before connecting the legacy LNB and doing a new switch check. If your receiver is expecting a DP/DPP switch or LNB in could fry a legacy LNB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.