DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have done more research. Joined Dish network on a promotion that promised "The DishPVR 501 is an integrated Satellite TV System and Personal Video Recorder that gives you the ability to record and control TV programming in a way you never could before. Never miss anything again. Your favorite shows are on when you want them." This offer was just what I had been looking for. To my surprise the pvr will only record what comes over the satellite and I do not qualify for local stations. It is the network programming that I am looking to record so the pvr is of little or no use to me. Would rather have cable with a tivo than this. Is there any way out of the deal? Any suggestions appreciated.
Steve

· Hall Of Fame
1,332 Posts
Godd luck, but I wouldn't think there was a way out. You could call the installer and whine maybe. :)

Geronimo, is this Max Dillon? ;)

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Something tells me that this is a different Electro. I mean my spider sense isn't even tingling.

And yes Mr. King it took me a second. Good catch.

G

·
Do you qualify for out of market networks? Do you want networks in the Super Stations pak. Can you qualify for a waiver? What promotion are you under, you may be able to get out of the promotion for a $240.00 penalty or under Free For All just cancel.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick answers. I do not qualify for the out of market but may qualify for a waiver on one of the four networks though I have been told that it is not possible. Can get out for the $240 fee but hate to spend that if another route is possible. What is the "Free for all "? The promotion is through VMC Satellite.
Steve

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
One also has to ask what DMA you are in? If you are in a top 80 or so DMAs you could get locals within a few months... Dish just got Echostar8 into orbit and is turning it on now. I bet a ton of new markets will be announced tonight on Charlie Chat.

Nothing Dish loves more than to turn on new LIL to markets. This is a marketing bonanza as they can count on a large influx of new people to DBS when LIL is offered.

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
HAHAHA....another fish hooked by VMC!!!!-i'm afraid you're shot out of luck on this one-of course, a LOCAL dealer would have told you the complete story before you bought , saving you this headache...oh well...

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Still think there may be a way. Their add states "record and control TV programming in a way you never could before. Never miss anything again. Your favorite shows are on when you want them". This is simply not the case since I cannot record the major network shows. Will be pleading my case with them today and will see what they propose. Thanks again. Will let you know how it is resolved.
Steve

· Icon
610 Posts
Originally posted by Mike123abc
One also has to ask what DMA you are in? If you are in a top 80 or so DMAs you could get locals within a few months... Dish just got Echostar8 into orbit and is turning it on now. I bet a ton of new markets will be announced tonight on Charlie Chat.

Nothing Dish loves more than to turn on new LIL to markets. This is a marketing bonanza as they can count on a large influx of new people to DBS when LIL is offered.
I don't know if they can get to 80 DMAs right now unless they move a lot of channels around to different satellites and stuff, and they can't do that because not everyone has a Dish 500.
Dish is also adding NHL Center Ice and perhaps NBA League Pass, so they'll also take up some room.
On the Charlie Chat, Charlie mentioned that they'll make it ti 50 or 51 markets with Echo 8 next month and add up to 4 new DMAs next month for a total of 51 DMAs.
I don't know if they'll add any new markets after that with the current satellites, but Charlie sure made it sound like it was unlikely without a merger.

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Originally posted by Electro
This is simply not the case since I cannot record the major network shows.
I don't think that is a valid argument since the retailer should have told you that you didn't have locals. The PVR will record CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX if you had your locals from the satellite. That said, good luck and I hope they have a compromise for you.

· Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
james, he bought it from internet rip off king VMC-not a local guy...the local dealer would have told him the score and let him decide if he wanted it, but VMC stacks 'em and racks 'em and the VMC csrs could care less if they give out accurate information-it's sales, sales sales!!!!!

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As jrjcd said VMC the ripoff king could care less. Offerred no remedy and said anyone would know the pvr is for dishnetwork broadcast only. Funny their add says I can record anything not anything broadcast on dish. Pointed this out but made no difference to them. Get what you pay for? Not this time but a lesson learned. Should have come here first and would have been no problem. Do have a partial interest in an RV. What do I do with this to remedy the situation? What is a white area and how do I find where they are? Sounds like there are ways around this problem. Really do appreciate the help.
Steve

· Banned
3,068 Posts
Make a copy of your RV title. Alter it if needed to show you as the owner and your present address if its on the title. Download a copy of the RV exemption and a revised copy of your title mail it all to dish. In about a month your nets will be active, pick 2 of whatever you want or west coast and a nearby one if your in the spot beam.

If theres any chance someone else will be using this title for the same thing alter a couple nmbers in the VIN. They dontr check but might some day....

· Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
Got a friendly/cheap lawyer around? Ask him/her to dash off a note asserting that the language of the seller created the common law warranty of FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, namely the purpose of recording "your favorite shows", which would normally include local network OTA signals.

The fine details vary from state to state, and I'm not sure whether you'd try to get relief from the equipment vendor or Dish Network itself. That's where your lawyer's professional expertise trumps my lightly informed amateurism.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had actually thought about a lawyer but the potential cost made me shy away. Might not hurt to give a letter a try. FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE sounds like it might apply and Texas is very pro consumer in most areas. Thanks! If I persue will let everyone know how it goes.Will have to handle it with VMC and Dishnetwork due to termination fees from both. Also thinking about the RV thing. Might be faster, easier, less expensive, and give me what I thought I would be getting to start with. Any downside to this that I need to know about?
Steve

· Banned
3,068 Posts
Just find a white area like oil city PA and look up mc donalds address. Add a few numbers like from 100 main street to 105 main st apt 2 and move your physical address, but leave billing as is.

Why mess with laawyers? This is quick easy and fixes the problem in minutes...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.