DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own the 508 and 510 DVR from Dish and have never had any major issues. It has always worked as advertised....still missing NBR, but it never had it so I can't complain much. However I was considering heading to Direct TV because it seems that Dish is always having issues with channels (currently with Pappas).

However, since I don't know anyone with Direct TV I have a few concerns.

1. Can I prevent software upgrades with Direct TV (I can prevent it with Dish).
- Why you ask, I don't want a upgrade to prevent me from using my Fastforward button. There is already an upgrade that I have read about that prevented one users from using it. Don't want that.

2. Should I get a HD recorder with the move (Since I should take advantage of the offers they have for "New Customer Only") or since I don't have a HD TV, shoudl I just get a standard recorder?
- BTW: I hate and think that it should be illegal for comapnies to offer "New Customer Only" deals while the rest of us are stuck with the older stuff.

3. Anyone have any preferences are Dish or DirectTV. Any horror stories or happy stories or anything that might help. I'm kind of walking the line and not sure which direction to fall.

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
MagnumVP said:
I currently own the 508 and 510 DVR from Dish and have never had any major issues. It has always worked as advertised....still missing NBR, but it never had it so I can't complain much. However I was considering heading to Direct TV because it seems that Dish is always having issues with channels (currently with Pappas).

However, since I don't know anyone with Direct TV I have a few concerns.

1. Can I prevent software upgrades with Direct TV (I can prevent it with Dish).
- Why you ask, I don't want a upgrade to prevent me from using my Fastforward button. There is already an upgrade that I have read about that prevented one users from using it. Don't want that.

2. Should I get a HD recorder with the move (Since I should take advantage of the offers they have for "New Customer Only") or since I don't have a HD TV, shoudl I just get a standard recorder?
- BTW: I hate and think that it should be illegal for comapnies to offer "New Customer Only" deals while the rest of us are stuck with the older stuff.

3. Anyone have any preferences are Dish or DirectTV. Any horror stories or happy stories or anything that might help. I'm kind of walking the line and not sure which direction to fall.

Thanks
I think you would enjoy Directv but the Dishin it up promotion would get you a 622 for $199 NBR and keep you with DISH who you are not unhappy with.:)

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean, "Dishin it up promotion"?

I was under the impression that since I was an already exisitng customer there isn't anything that I can do but purhcase a new receiver.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
MagnumVP said:

I was under the impression that since I was an already exisitng customer there isn't anything that I can do but purhcase a new receiver.
Dish has promotions which will allow you to upgrade your equipment, they limit how many you have over a yearly period of time. Since you have a 501 and 510, it sounds like if you have upgraded, it has been some time so the "Dishin' It Up" promotion should be available to you. Contact dish or local retailer to find out if you qualify.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
MagnumVP said:

Login to My Account at the DISH website. There is an Equipment Info link there that takes you to a DISH'n It Up link that lists the prices for an existing customer (and different customers see different offers). I assume you would see a ViP 211 for $49 installed and a ViP 622 for $199 (new subscriber price). If you haven't already setup a login, you can do so or make the dreaded CSR call and ask about equipment upgrades. The limit is one upgrade per year, no more than 3 tuners in an upgrade, ... If you wanted a 625 dual output (but SD) receiver to replace the 510, it is probably $69 installed and wouldn't change your monthly bill. If you go with a ViP (HD) receiver, the monthly total will jump, but you won't be treated much differently than a new customer. If ALL the receivers on your account are from upgrades, the existing subscriber does pay $5/$6 more each month than a new subscriber.

The biggest problem with switching to DirecTV right now is you can't get an HD DVR other than being put on a wait list (and its OTA ATSC tuner isn't enabled). If you want a lot of dual tuner (they don't have dual output) DVRs, DirecTV would be a better way to go - no 4 leased tuner limit, one fee for all DVRs on the account (instead of DISH's per DVR). That could change at any time - just the current situation.

You can't PREVENT upgrades to the receiver with DISH. You can hold them off until DISH decides it is a mandatory upgrade. The radio button for asking for user permission on the upgrades is gone from the DISH menus for DVRs with NBR. Your 5xx is supposed to become NBR shortly, but "shortly" has been over two years already so who knows?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Well. I am hardly neutral since I have been with DTV since 1995 and love them to death.

Your best bet is to look at the prgramming you want and compare the pricing. Also look at the features of the equipment to see which has more of the features you like and go from there. Both companies have there pro's and con's.

·
4 Posts
I left Dish Network a year ago even though I really did not have any problems with them, except the guide burn-in. I am getting back in as a new customer with one of the two providers. I researched both and DirecTV looked to be a better deal for me, and probably even a little better for you since you would have the new customer leverage. That was until I refused to take on the 2-year commitment for DirecTV, which was impossible to get around even buying and installing my own equipment, versus no commitment for Dish if you pay the $49 install. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.