Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISH Network Passes 13 Million Customer Milestone
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 22, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) today announced that its DISH Network(TM) passed the 13 million customer milestone. DISH Network remains the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in the nation since 2000, having added more than 7.74 million net new customers over the past six years -- more than all other satellite TV and cable companies during the same period.

"Earlier this year we celebrated DISH Network's 10th anniversary, and we continue to see significant growth to our subscriber base -- a testament to our ceaseless efforts to provide customers with the best TV experience in the industry," said Charles Ergen, chairman and CEO of EchoStar. "Reaching the 13 million milestone is due in no small part to DISH Network's ongoing focus to provide customers with cutting-edge technology, the most comprehensive HD channel lineup, and a wide variety of programming packages -- all at an unparalleled value."

DISH Network reached one million subscribers in December 1997 and passed the 12 million customer milestone in December 2005. Today the company offers customers more than 500 channel choices, including 30 national HD channels -- the most offered by any pay-TV provider in the country. DISH Network also offers 130 international channels in more than 25 languages and local channels in 174 markets covering 96 percent of U.S. TV households. In 2006, DISH Network introduced several new channels, including Oxygen, The Documentary Channel, The Tennis Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel, Starz Comedy, Versus (formerly OLN), SOAPnet, ReelzChannel, Lime and Baby First.

DISH Network has also established a reputation as an innovator in the pay-TV industry. In early 2006, the company was the first to offer a dual-tuner HD DVR receiver -- the ViP622 -- which received a best-in-class rating from CNET. In recent years, DISH Network was the first pay-TV provider to offer an interactive satellite TV receiver with DVR capabilities, a prepaid television platform, and a 500-channel satellite TV system.

For more information on DISH Network and any of its products or services call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), visit www.dishnetwork.com or contact your local DISH Network retailer.

About EchoStar Communications

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) serves more than 13 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), and is a leading U.S. provider of advanced digital television services. DISH Network's services include hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. EchoStar has been a leader for more than 25 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide. EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 500 company. Visit EchoStar's Web site at www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Francie Bauer, 720-514-5351 (Media)
[email protected]

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Wonder when it will become 250 Million .. or the entire population of the United States or the Whole North America even! :D

·
Super Moderator
53,102 Posts
At least they passed the milestone in the right direction.
What a year it has been!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
I wonder if after the price increases , the loss of distant networks and the tivo lawsuit if they will still be growing by next year or losing subs?

·
Godfather
483 Posts
Mike D-CO5 said:
I wonder if after the price increases , the loss of distant networks and the tivo lawsuit if they will still be growing by next year or losing subs?
A) The price increases are inline or lower than those of DirecTV and most Cable Co's and Dish is still the best value for pay tv.
B)The Distant Networks issue is really meaningless, because MOST subscribers don't need or have them. The ones *****ing the most are those that had them improperly... and wanted to keep it that way, but those people won't be able to get them anywhere else. For those that truly do need them, the NPS deal makes this a non-factor.
C) The Tivo lawsuit is far from over... and many beleive Tivo's patents are likely to get invalidated... and even if they don't you will see a licensing agreement shortly thereafter, or Dish "changing" their software (in reality or not) forcing Tivo to start all over in the court process. Tivo is struggling, and Ergen has shown if nothing else, he doesn't give up easily and will do everything in his power to "win" against those that challenge him. He may end up deciding to just tie up Tivo in court forever until they are bled dry by lawyers... and at the rate their company is going that could be a winning strategy.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
HDMe said:
I'm sure they will. Everyone increased prices last year too, and no mass running-away could be seen.
Yes, but have they ever gone up $10.00 in one year for the AEP + HD pack? The answer is no . This one increase can cause people to either Churn or to downgrade their programming to lower priced packs. This might cause a slight churn if not a downturn on hd programming. Of course not everyone here is having to pay the extra $10.00, most pay $3.00.

Maybe someone will run a poll asking the very question : Will Plat hd pack customers churn or downgrade to lower programming packs , because of the $10.00 increase?

·
Godfather
483 Posts
Mike D-CO5 said:
Yes, but have they ever gone up $10.00 in one year for the AEP + HD pack? The answer is no . This one increase can cause people to either Churn or to downgrade their programming to lower priced packs. This might cause a slight churn if not a downturn on hd programming. Of course not everyone here is having to pay the extra $10.00, most pay $3.00.

Maybe someone will run a poll asking the very question : Will Plat hd pack customers churn or downgrade to lower programming packs , because of the $10.00 increase?
The AEP + HD pack is now proced the same as the "equivalent" package from DirecTV... but you get a LOT more channels in HD with Dish Net.

The equivalent Package from Comcast is $127, and doesn't include any of the Voom Channels and has an EXTREMELY poor DVR, but you get FSN and Comcast in HD. (edit: Cinemax)

Dish is still by far the best value in the industry... I doubt many lower their packages and even if they do it wont effect Dish much as they likely will not drop down very far, and the revenue loss there will be more than made up for by increased premiums the other subscribers are paying.

Honestly, I think $20 for the HD package is a bit too much, and Dish may actually WANT people to drop it because it gives them more power in negotiations with content providers, who are reportedly wanting a TON of money for the HD versions of their channels.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
I wonder if that number is ALL subscribers, present and former?
Cause if they are counting only present subscribers, they can deduct ONE from that number next week, when I switch to DirecTV!

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Then that would make it 12,999,999 -- I'm sure you'll be missed. :nono:

Expect to get a call from Charlie. :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
by the time you switch to DirecTV, i am sure Echostar will gain AT LEAST, say, a dozen of New Subscribers.. - so that number will still be 13 Mil. or larger :D

·
Godfather
483 Posts
midwave said:
I wonder if that number is ALL subscribers, present and former?
Cause if they are counting only present subscribers, they can deduct ONE from that number next week, when I switch to DirecTV!
Its current... and just curious, but why are you switching?? What do you expect to get from DirecTV that you are not or can't get from Dish Network??

I was a loooooong time DirecTV customer, and loved them much of the time, in fact I only left because my condo has no line of sight to their satellites (I just BARELY hit all of Dish's)... but honestly after the switch I have been much happier with Dish's custmer service and responsiveness to picture quality concerns. (see the SF Bay HDTV thread... where Dish engineers worked directly with us to get the problems resolved in a fairly timely manner.)

The ONLY thing I wish Dish had was Sunday Ticket... if they had it, DirecTV would lose a LOOOOOT of customers because right now it is their only competitive advantage.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
grooves12 said:
Its current... and just curious, but why are you switching?? What do you expect to get from DirecTV that you are not or can't get from Dish Network??
.....DirecTV now has my local CW Network in the locals package, which through Dish I have to pay an extra $1.50 per month for CW11-NY to watch the network
.....the comparable Dish120/200 package to DirecTV Total Prime difference in price
.....2 DVR's FREE (1 automatically, 1 after mail-in $100 rebate)
.....1 fee for ALL the DVR's in the home
.....FREE Portable DVD Player for the kids!

Now my biggest dilemna is ...
Should I get Total Choice w/ locals and save app. $10 a month over Dish Network
OR
Should I get Total Choice Plus w/locals and pay the same as Dish Network, but get Starz Movie Pak or Showtime Movie Pak FREE for 1 year!?!?!?!

...and another reason to leave DishNetwork...after 3 years, BOTH the DVR and basic remote are acting up, and the button that doesn't want to work the most is the SAT key!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
grooves12 said:

I was a loooooong time DirecTV customer, and loved them much of the time, in fact I only left because my condo has no line of sight to their satellites (I just BARELY hit all of Dish's)... but honestly after the switch I have been much happier with Dish's custmer service and responsiveness to picture quality concerns. (see the SF Bay HDTV thread... where Dish engineers worked directly with us to get the problems resolved in a fairly timely manner.)

The ONLY thing I wish Dish had was Sunday Ticket... if they had it, DirecTV would lose a LOOOOOT of customers because right now it is their only competitive advantage.
Your kidding right? While Dish is a good deal on their Family,AT60 and HD when you get to AT120 that's when DirecTV's packages look better.TC/wlocals is the same price as AT120/wlocals and has more national channels.If you don't care or want to pay for movie channels like the Encores then instead of AT180/wlocals,then TC+/wlocals is for you.Thru DirecTV locals are $3.00 which is cheaper.HBO is $12.00 which is cheaper and several other packages are cheaper.
So you see DirecTV's advantage is just not Sunday Ticket.If fact I don't have Sunday Ticket I like the programming options better at DirecTV.By the way I was with DISH for over 4 1/2 years and for me now DirecTV is the better deal.:)
P.S. DirecTV's standard receivers have more features than DISH's too!.Plus if you have to buy one their cheaper too!.:)

·
Icon
685 Posts
It sounds like if you have SD only D* is better. If you have HD E* is better. I have everything but the premiums with both. I like D* mainly for the extra NFL HD games (exclusive). Dish has a better HD DVR and in Feb. 2007 will allow HD programming only! That will save me about $50 a month. I also have the choice of Time Warner and Verizon soon but their HD dvr's are expensive and I have 5 of them.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,972 Posts
kikkenit2 said:
Dish has a better HD DVR and in Feb. 2007 will allow HD programming only!
In February 2009 (the digital change over) there will be no more analog OTA, but less than 20% of DishNetwork's channels will be HD in 2007 (30/250 nationals).

·
Super Moderator
53,102 Posts
Jim5506 said:
In February 2009 (the digital change over) there will be no more analog OTA, but less than 20% of DishNetwork's channels will be HD in 2007 (30/250 nationals).
The two are unrelated. The government is requiring OTA TV to be in digital (ATSC) by February 2009 and plan to cut of the analog (NTSC) feeds then. There is NO REQUIREMENT that ANY ATSC signal be in HD. One free SD feed is all programmers need to offer to the public on the ATSC bandwidth. They can even use the rest of their bandwidth for pay TV or other uses, if they wish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.