DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to switching to the Dish Network and have emailed a few times for answers but am finding thier response lacking to date. I'm curious as to the purpose and need for a phone line in order to ahve the service. I was hoping to ditch my phon eline and go via VOIP but Dish informed me it would not work. is this correct?

I'm also planning on keeping my existing cable internet service. I"m under the assumption that Dish installers would more than likely use my existing cable wiring as much as possible for their system. However, one cable needs to be left open for the cable line ( for internet ). If true, how does Dish go about installing an extra wall jack for a cable outlet?

Thx for the help in advance!!

·
7 Posts
The phone line is required from my understanding with the 622 receiver. Other receivers may not require the line. I just purchased E*, and was thoroughly pissed over the install experience (having switched from D*) when I was told 2 hours into my new programming that I have to pay $5.00/month for lack of phone line.

I asked to be transferred from India to cancellation department - the CSR immediately launched into "save-mode" and offered up a free wireless device that hooks on back of receiver and will supposedly work with my cable modem/vonage phone service.

Like you, I also have a cable modem. My wiring setup is for E*, there are two wires that come into the house - these two wires are connected directly to receivers. Then, a separate cable line is ran to my cable modem. They were able to do this based on the fact that I have an unfinished basement and the wiring can easily be accessed.

I'd wait for more responses - good luck.

·
Super Moderator
53,117 Posts
The ViP-622 will work with quality VOIP services. You will have to check with your VOIP service to see if there is a dial string or mode you can set your device for to get better quality.

Installers vary ... they should run one cable for your service to the 622 without disturbing the cable modem setup. Make sure the installer knows the line isn't unused. Don't expect the Dish installer to do any extra work to make your cable modem work, but they should be able to install without disturbing your setup.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the replies! I currently have 3 cable lines running into my house ( ie after they have been split ), and 3 TV's hooked up as well as my cable modem. 2 of my TV's are HD and the third is SD only. It sounds like a combination 622 + 211 would suffice.

Phone line aspect.. I was looking into Via Talk but am still somewhat hesitant to go that route.. this may be a case where it's just simpler to use my existing phone service even though price wise I'm being shafted a bit.. just a busy person and even though technically ok, just no time to deal with crap that doesn't work lol

Any Via Talk success though I'd like to hear from!

I know which line ( of the 3 ) that feeds my cable modem ( and currently most used hD set ). Sounds like all I'd need to do ther is to disconnect the cable from the outside splitter and connect directly to the incoming cable line. But, that would still leave me a cable line "short" and would have to phish a new outlet.

What exactly are the phone lines used for and would I also need one for the 211 receiver? Sounds like it's time to get an estimate for the fun and I need to decide if I will make use of DVR enough to warrant the rest... if I went with 3 separate tuners and no dvr does that affect the need for the fone service?

Thx again for the help! I'm a real newb when it comes to Sat TV. I'm glad TW bought out Adelphia cause now I'm fed up with the service enough to explore options!

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikeW said:
I used a diplexor on the cable modem and had no issues with up-time.
Mike,

Would love more info on how this was set up, costs, etc if you can! Thx! Gotta love options!

·
AllStar
64 Posts
It is highly recomended that the Cabe Modem be left alone and not diplexed. It may work for a while but may eventually not. With 3 separate 211's, a phone line is not required--merely for ease of ordering pay-per-view, and online customer service features. The extra receiver fees will be less than having to pay for an extra phone line. Look at it this way, its an extra $10 total for the 2nd and 3rd 211's--or instead, you can get the 622, pay the extra $5, and would (almost) cover the cost of the DVR service (and get 2 TV's with DVR, instead of non at all). The 622 is $199, vs the 211 at $49. All in all, without the phone line, you'd be paying less.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nismo said:
It is highly recomended that the Cabe Modem be left alone and not diplexed. It may work for a while but may eventually not. With 3 separate 211's, a phone line is not required--merely for ease of ordering pay-per-view, and online customer service features. The extra receiver fees will be less than having to pay for an extra phone line. Look at it this way, its an extra $10 total for the 2nd and 3rd 211's--or instead, you can get the 622, pay the extra $5, and would (almost) cover the cost of the DVR service (and get 2 TV's with DVR, instead of non at all). The 622 is $199, vs the 211 at $49. All in all, without the phone line, you'd be paying less.
Thx for the reply. My gut feeling is to keep things as simple as possible and a straihgt line in for the cable modem, while more inconvenient up front with phising the outlet box, will in the long run provide better service and simplicity of setup.

I am very curious about whether the phone line is required for the 622 or not, and what exactly one loses without it. I've asked DISH but did not get a good answer. In same breath, they charge $5 for not having it..oney part I"m not concerned with in this instance but just not understanding why they are doing this ( ie what do they gain in the phone line ).

If a phone line is needed I'll probably say away from VOIP.. just seems sort of ironic to make my SAT TV system dependent upon my cable TV line! I'm learning to balance money saved with time saved! On costs.. the 211's are currently a free upgrade whereas the 622 is $199. I"m still trying to decide if I will use DVR or not, and if it is worth the upgrade cost for me ( hate to pay it and never use it ).

Thx thus far for the replies.. is helpful and assisting with learning what my options are.. DISH is quick to rpely with form responses that really don't address my specific questions! Thx!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.