DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Godfather
421 Posts
MCHuf said:
But FIOS uses QAM. So, unlike sat providers, you at least have the cable card device option to save money on dvr's and extra stb's.
Yes, and I have a tivo but it's still twice as much as the dish dvr fee's. And only two tuners. I actually run a tivo and a dish box so I can have more tuners.

Even if I got fios i'd probably keep their box and still use my tivo so I can have 4 tuners.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
archer75 said:
Bluray is also 1080p which you won't get with regular channels from satellite. Dish and Direct offer 1080p with some(or most) on demand stuff. The rest of it is 1080i. And various resolutions below 1920x1080. I think some shows are simply filmed at lower resolutions. I heard someone say some are at 1440x1080, but I could be wrong. Either way don't expect 100% bluray quality on Dish or Direct.

That said, I have had both, dish and direct, and watched them on my projector on a 145" screen and I haven't seen a difference.
The way I understand it you can get 1080p PQ with Dish Network when you use the Logitech Revue and Google TV.

I would imagine it's 1080p60 as BluRay is 1080p24,when I watch a upconverted DVD in my Samsung BluRay Player it's 1080p60.

I have both OTA and Dish Network and both HD PQs look awesome on my 55" Vizio LED/LCD 240Hz.HDTV.:D

· Godfather
634 Posts
wyattwd said:
I'm not making things up. Verizon is getting into the cable business and said they wouldn't expand FiOS after their goal is reached.

Their customer service is complete and utter BS. They're way too over priced. FiOS is glorified cable. End of story.
How does it matter that Verizon doesn't plan on expanding FiOS anymore if it's already available in the OP's area? It doesn't, that's how.

The article you site only speaks to Verizon buying unused mobile wireless spectrum from cable companies - it doesn't have anything to do with cable TV service.

Verizon's customer service/billing does indeed suck - I can agree with you that much at least. I'm in Frontier territory and have had pretty good luck with their CSRs and billing lately though. :)

Technically, FiOS is cable. I'm okay with that because it's next generation cable and they are the only major provider that does not add compression to their channels.

Overpriced? That depends on what you order. I certainly paid more for DIRECTV or Dish Network plus phone/Internet than I do for the FiOS triple play.

So, you're a FiOS hater. End of story indeed.

· Icon
837 Posts
I currently have FiOS phone & Internet and am happy with it so far. When my Dish contract is up in 1.5 years, I might reevaluate. However, I am happy with my 722K and like the Home Distribution output that allows me to feed my 5 TVs without any additional charge. With Comcast or Verizon, I would need to pay per TV if I would like to watch DVR recordings and be able to see the full channel lineup from my other TVs; that might negate any savings that I get through bundling.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There is a hidden (not so hidden actually) charge that I forgot to take into account. They charge DVR fees (whole home DVR) which puts it much more costlier for me as I need International channel and Vonage. So FIOS was replacing only my Comcast and Dish US channel list.

Thanks to all those replied.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.