1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EchoStar HD offers everything from 'catwalking' to 'cooking'

By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com

Washington, D.C. (December 22, 2006) -- EchoStar's Dish Network has more
national HDTV channels than any other TV provider. But if you're a HDer who
now has cable or DirecTV, should you switch providers and sign up with Dish?

Read TVPredictions' review of Dish HD HERE.

· AllStar
63 Posts
I have been a D* subscriber for > 9 years. In the history of our provider / customer relationship I have been very content up until 11/25/06 when I decided to upgrade my ancient equipment to new (so as to receive HD signal).

D* dropped the ball several times. I have been offered credits, the first two I took, the last two refused, as I felt it diminished my complaint. I want the service, not credits. The CSR folks are very apologetic, but none could restore my proper place in the line after two bungled efforts.

After 9 years of no phone calls, I have all too much time invested in D* phone calls. Add in a half day off work that was unnecessary. Add in the TV install tech was scheduled to arrive after the sat install, so most of the install cost was wasted. I postponed the install once and didn't want to move to the back of the line again.

Now, a month after ordering the upgrade, I am watching the analog signal from both D* and Comcast cable, instead of digital HD (note: lucky for me, OTA is easy). My theoretical D* install date is 01/12/07, but, confidence is low. I am taking the time to consider all options, including upgrading the cable and / or changing to E*.

It appears the Dish HD programming lineup is more robust. If I understand rightly, Dish has > 20 HD channels while D* offers just 7-8. Ironic that it appears I may have to purchase one of the most expensive E* packages since Versus (the former OLN) is one channel I require. If only ala carte were an option ...

I am very disappointed in D*. All things equal I will drop their service to vote with my wallet.

Etchasketch

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:crying_sa I have the full Comcast (formerly Adelphia) package and they now have 22 channels listed
in their HD tier. Seven are not in HD (yet?), but since they are in the tier I have hopes that
they will all be in HD soon.

I had DishNetwork for five years, which currently offers (up to ) 30 HD channels but no JAX
HD LiLs. If my personal circumstances were different, I would still be with E*. I really miss
the VOOM channels -- I liked their HD News channel, and I miss my HDNets. <groan> :(

· AllStar
63 Posts
Hi Nick: easiest thing for me to do is call Ccast to expand my package. I already buy their broadband and also have basic service cable (run to my son's room, and it's handy when weather obscures view of the sat-bird).

It was already difficult to compare costs and benefits. Now, per the news here and at other HD forums, price increases make easy comparison more cloudy. I'm not sure what I'll be paying if I retain svc with D* either.

D* really blew it in my case:

* took the order but never set install (I called back to do so)
* set an install when they didn't have receivers in the pipeline
* broke the install appt < 48 hours prior to designated time
* would not allow me to buy a receiver as work-around
* left me with the TV install scheduled (but no HD)
* I missed a half days work for no good reason

Now, the best part: last night I opened the bill (rare for me since it's on auto-bill). There are charges and credits for svc I don't have, since they didn't install new hardware, and am not scheduled to have available until 01/12/07.

This is no big deal if I stay ... but, one more thing I'll have to unravel if I dump the service.

How many channels did you say were on Comcast? :0)

Wonder how long their install line is?!?

Etchasketch

ps - still have to figure out OLN (now Versus) if I go Dish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.