DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EchoStar's high-def satellite service offers everything from top fashion models "catwalking" to top chefs cooking.

By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (December 22, 2006) -- EchoStar's Dish Network has more national HDTV channels than any other TV provider.

But if you're a HD owner who now has cable or DIRECTV, should you switch providers and sign up with Dish?

Here is the TVPredictions.com review (including Pros and Cons)....

----
( The entire article is at the following source: http://www.tvpredictions.com/echoreview122206.htm )

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
"DIRECTV's high-def lineup begins with the number "70" and goes to 79.
Much easier to navigate and remember"
Sure it's easy if you only have ten HD channels! :rolleyes:

Sorry, Swanni, but you really need to stop the whining. If you're smart enough to
have DISH and HD too, you should be smart enough to navigate Dish's EPG in
the 9000-9999* range. I had Dish for five years and had no problems punching
in four digits - and some have said I'm a doddering old man! :stickman: :grin:

Frankly, Dish is not only doing a better job with HD now, but I think Dish is much
better positioned for the future when almost every program on every channel will
be in high-definition.

*do the math.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Frankly, Dish is not only doing a better job with HD now, but I think Dish is much
better positioned for the future when almost every program on every channel will
be in high-definition.

What makes you say this. Won't D* have the upper hand once their 2 sats launch next year? I'm debating whether or not I should jump ship from D* to E* so your intel is important in helping me decide.

Thanks

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
traderfjp said:
be in high-definition.

What makes you say this. Won't D* have the upper hand once their 2 sats launch
next year? I'm debating whether or not I should jump ship from D* to E* so your intel is
important in helping me decide.

Thanks
Trader, when quoting another, it is usually good form to indicate that in some recognizable manner.

Here are some examples:
Nick said:
be in high-definition.
- or -
be in high-definition.
, or even -

"Frankly, Dish is not only doing a better job with HD now, but I think Dish is much
be in high-definition."

Thanks. :)

·
AllStar
89 Posts
I wouldn't say that Dish has the upper hand. There is a reason Voom didn't make it on it's own. Those channels are very niche. I went through the list, my wife went through the list and almost in unison we said no way would I pay $20 a month for that. I'm more than happy to pay a $6 HD enabling fee. I'd pay the $20 if it included HD versions of most of the channels I do watch. I get the locals and some premium movie HD's just for the enabling fee so that just leaves the CW, UPN and maybe 10 other channels.

Soon enough everything will be at least 760p and it will all be a part of the standard packages.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
traderfjp said:
What makes you say this. Won't D* have the upper hand once their 2 sats launch next year? I'm debating whether or not I should jump ship from D* to E* so your intel is important in helping me decide.

Thanks
So....D* will have the capacity to carry up to 150 HD channels on their 2 new sats....and these HD channels...are going to come from...where??
Exactly.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Kdg454 wrote: So....D* will have the capacity to carry up to 150 HD channels on their 2 new sats....and these HD channels...are going to come from...where??
Exactly.

From what I've been reading many of the slots will be taken up with local channels and as more content becomes available D* will have the capacity to carry it over their sats. I'm purely reading between the lines. It would be intersting to know how much HD Dish can handle at this point without any new sats.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
traderfjp said:
Won't D* have the upper hand once their 2 sats launch next year?
Next year may well be a year away. By the time DirecTV gets serious about national HD programming, your 18 month commitment would be up and you could return to DirecTV as a "new" customer.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
traderfjp said:
From what I've been reading many of the slots will be taken up with local channels and as more content becomes available D* will have the capacity to carry it over their sats.
While some of the 150 channels may be taken up by Regional Sports Networks (or not), HD LIL will not. HD LIL is the 1500 number that gets thrown around with the 150 nationals.
It would be intersting to know how much HD Dish can handle at this point without any new sats.
They have quite a bit of capacity, both owned and leased. DirecTV has chosen rely entirely on their own fleet of satellites. Given that Dish Network is missing less than a dozen HD nationals, I'd say they were pretty well set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.