DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,197 Posts
I'm working on the math. Schedule S was included in the filing, which has the outlines. I ran out of steam making the maps last night.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,197 Posts
Life exists outside of DBSTalk ... (please don't ban me for suggesting that). :lol:
 

· Icon
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HDRoberts said:
Here are a few quick and dirty maps I made with ArcGIS. Unfortunetly, I lack the took to turn the points into contours, and it only based on the gain numbers. But it gives you the idea.
Certainly it would be great to have the contours but it would also be interesting to know which TPs are available in which spotbeam. As I have stated elsewhere, I don't think there will be clean lines of demarcation between the Eastern Arc and Western Arc. Obviously the Northeast U.S. will be in the Eastern Arc and the West Coast in the Western Arc but spotbeam availability will determine what Arc the rest of the country will be in. I also think that Dish looked at Ciel-2 as a backup to the spotbeams from E-10 at 110 W.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
306 Posts
rocatman said:
Certainly it would be great to have the contours but it would also be interesting to know which TPs are available in which spotbeam. As I have stated elsewhere, I don't think there will be clean lines of demarcation between the Eastern Arc and Western Arc. Obviously the Northeast U.S. will be in the Eastern Arc and the West Coast in the Western Arc but spotbeam availability will determine what Arc the rest of the country will be in. I also think that Dish looked at Ciel-2 as a backup to the spotbeams from E-10 at 110 W.
I think this may be the table you are looking for. That, or an odd coincidence that the transmitters are numbered 1-32. Looks as if TPs 1-16 are for spots, and 18-32 are continental (US and/or Canada), and 17 is flexable. Please note, there is a lot of duplication as things were further divided by uplink beam.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,197 Posts
141 spot transponders on the first 16 transponders? Not bad! :D
 

· Icon
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HDRoberts said:
I think this may be the table you are looking for. That, or an odd coincidence that the transmitters are numbered 1-32. Looks as if TPs 1-16 are for spots, and 18-32 are continental (US and/or Canada), and 17 is flexable. Please note, there is a lot of duplication as things were further divided by uplink beam.
Yes, this is what I was looking for. I hope this isn't too long and perhaps James Long or someone else will present this better but here are the TP # for each spotbeam. Looks like a fair number of single TP spotbeams.

SB01 - 5, 7, 9, 10, 12
SB04 - 8, 10
SB05 - 11, 12
SB06 - 13
SB07 - 12
SB08 - 9
SB09 - 2
SB10 - 13, 14, 15, 16
SB11 - 4, 6
SB12 - 5, 7, 8
SB13 - 2
SB14 - 13, 14, 15, 16
SB15 - 10, 12
SB16 - 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
SB17 - 2
SB18 - 1, 3
SB19 - 4, 6, 15
SB20 - 5, 7
SB21 - 1, 3
SB22 - 9, 11, 13, 15
SB23 - 14, 16
SB24 - 5, 7
SB25 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8
SB26 - 10, 12
SB27 - 14, 16
SB28 - 2
SB29 - 4, 6, 8
SB30 - 10, 12, 17
SB31 - 9, 11
SB32 - 8, 10, 13, 15, 17
SB33 - 4, 6, 9, 11, 12
SB34 - 5, 7
SB35 - 8, 10
SB36 - 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16
SB37 - 1, 3
SB38 - 13, 14, 16
SB39 - 5, 7, 15, 17
SB40 - 1, 3, 14, 16
SB41 - 2, 5, 7
SB42 - 9, 11
SB43 - 2, 4, 6, 8
SB44 - 9, 11
SB45 - 3
SB46 - 11
SB47 - 1, 3
SB48 - 10, 12, 17
SB49 - 6, 8
SB50 - 3, 10, 12
SB51 - 14, 16
SB52 - 4, 13, 15
SB53 - 5, 7, 13, 15
SB54 - 2, 4, 6, 8
SB55 - 2, 4, 6, 14, 16
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,197 Posts
HDRobert's map does a graphic presentation quite well. Thanks!

(I should be able to do contours later.)
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,197 Posts
Doing a little digging and drawing. My computer isn't cooperating. :(

I've attached the transponder database out of the Schedule S MDB [strike]... it appears that there are spots on all of the transponders (even though the narrative discusses spots on 1-17 only).[/strike] Only 17-32 can be ConUS.

CORRECTION: I misread my own chart ... the UPLINKS on transponders 17-32 feed SPOT DOWNLINKS on 1-32 (except the few flexible ones on TP 17). 18-32 are ConUS only, 17 is flexible, 1-16 are spots only.

I've turned it into a table on my website and placed it on my spots page:
http://jameslong.name/e-spots.html

The PDF is the Canada and ConUS coverage drawn by my computer.

If my computer cooperates I'll do more. :)
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
306 Posts
James Long said:
Doing a little digging and drawing. My computer isn't cooperating. :(

I've attached the transponder database out of the Schedule S MDB ... it appears that there are spots on all of the transponders (even though the narrative discusses spots on 1-17 only). Only 17-32 can be ConUS.

I've turned it into a table on my website and placed it on my spots page:
http://jameslong.name/e-spots.html

The PDF is the Canada and ConUS coverage drawn by my computer.

If my computer cooperates I'll do more. :)
What EIRP are you using for your boundary coverage? I think it may cover just a bit more (although my understanding may be wrong, see my question below)

I might load my ArcGIS trial on my PC tomorrow night. It includes the extension for contour drawing, which my work PC lacks. I've never used it before, but it doesn't sound that hard. One question, is the EIRP at a point the max EIRP + the gain at that point (a negative value), or is more involved?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,556 Posts
This appears to be way over my head at this point, but does this mean alot of space for ConUS nationals or alot of space for US locals or both or just some space for both?
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,197 Posts
HDRoberts said:
What EIRP are you using for your boundary coverage? I think it may cover just a bit more (although my understanding may be wrong, see my question below)
I normally use the -10 and -6 dB contours ... this time I pulled the "service area" contours from the files but all of the spots are not represented.
phrelin said:
This appears to be way over my head at this point, but does this mean alot of space for ConUS nationals or alot of space for US locals or both or just some space for both?
A lot of space for both.

Half of the satellite is dedicated to spot beams. There is nothing else that can be done on TP1 through TP16 (other than allow another satellite to use those transponders ... such as leaving E5 in service but switching it to it's highest power mode instead of "as many transponders as possible"). Spot beams are best used for local channels ... and there are a lot of spots on this beast.

The other half is dedicated to ConUS or Canada beams. Ciel can choose to use those transponders to serve Canada or the US. It appears that there is some spotbeam use possible on the upper channels as well. With no apparent Canadian interest in space on the satellite that leaves a lot of space for ConUS channels.

It won't be up to help with "by the end of the year" predictions/promises but just over 1100 HD locals on spots (maximum) and just over 100 HD ConUS channels (maximum) is good capacity.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
306 Posts
James Long said:
I normally use the -10 and -6 dB contours ... this time I pulled the "service area" contours from the files but all of the spots are not represented.
I used the -10dB gain from the "beam" information. That corresponds to the green "dots" on my previous map, which looks like it covers slightly more.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top