DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered free DOD titles on my 622. I previously thought that the free titles were only available with a broadband connection. When my router died I stopped checking out "All TV Shows". Just for fun I went in there today and discovered a list of programs available to watch instantly, even though my broadband connection is broken.

So that means besides the Dish Cinema titles there are also free programs available. BTW I'm watching one now.

· Mentor
112 Posts
So how does that work? Do they just have a satellite feed that saves stuff on the DVR in the background?

While we're on the topic, how many ON DEMAND shows are normally available with an Internet connection and how many without?

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Well that's how the Hopper works...

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZandarKoad said:
So how does that work? Do they just have a satellite feed that saves stuff on the DVR in the background?

While we're on the topic, how many ON DEMAND shows are normally available with an Internet connection and how many without?
Evidently these programs download in the background overnight (when the receiver is off, allowing the tuner to tune into one of the DOD feeds). I wonder what would happen if the receiver would be left on overnight?

· Icon
678 Posts
ZandarKoad said:

If I remember correctly from my time working at Dish there were two types of VoD.
Push VOD that is downloaded via sat over night and the kind you have to stream over a connection.
AFAIK theres no way to tell before you actually start trying to watch it without having your receiver hooked up to the Dish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.