DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had DTV for 12 years but the last few months my HD Plus DVR has been very inconsistent receiving HD channels. DTV has told me it is my receiver, another time my dish is out of allignment, etc. Well it is raining now and I have lost both tuners.

My question is how do I find out what transponder or whatever it is called (101, 99, etc) to adjust the position of my dish. I would like to try to adjust myself since dish is on a pole in corner of my yard and easy to access. I just don't know what to use to verify signal strength for HD locals, etc. ANy help would be appreciated. My zip is 20171 if that helps.

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Go here
http://www.dishpointer.com/
and enter your zipcode and select the 5LNB from the dropdown menu.

Info from that site:

Your Location:
Latitude: 38.9147°
Longitude: -77.3899°

Dish setup data:
Elevation: 38.7°
Azimuth (true): 214.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 225.4°
LNB Skew: 26.4°

I'm curious as to how many OTA channels you might be able to receive in the DC area?

· AllStar
68 Posts
I have a dish alignment question that I'll piggyback on this thread. We just got back power yesterday after 4 days of no power due to Gustav. Our DirecTV isn't working at all, I suspect because the dish was re-aligned by the 80 plus MPH winds. I don't see any damage to the dish, and I am getting very weak transponder ratings on 119, but 0's everywhere else. I've used that website to see what our optimal settings are. My question is: How easy is it for someone to climb on the roof and actually get the dish pointed in those settings? Are there any markers on the actual dish that help tell us which way it is pointing? I've never tried to align my own dish, but our local service contractor is still without power and we can't even get a date for when they could come fix it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,299 Posts
eaglesfan27 said:
Are there any markers on the actual dish that help tell us which way it is pointing? I've never tried to align my own dish,
I can help you with that question... hopefully someone will come along and help you with the rest.

Yes there are markers on the dish mounting brackets.:) Good luck

· Registered
12,607 Posts
eaglesfan27 said:
I have a dish alignment question that I'll piggyback on this thread. We just got back power yesterday after 4 days of no power due to Gustav. Our DirecTV isn't working at all, I suspect because the dish was re-aligned by the 80 plus MPH winds. I don't see any damage to the dish, and I am getting very weak transponder ratings on 119, but 0's everywhere else. I've used that website to see what our optimal settings are. My question is: How easy is it for someone to climb on the roof and actually get the dish pointed in those settings? Are there any markers on the actual dish that help tell us which way it is pointing? I've never tried to align my own dish, but our local service contractor is still without power and we can't even get a date for when they could come fix it.
If you've never aligned a dish before, it's highly recommended to get professional service. But if you want to try it yourself, check out these videos ....
http://www.solidsignal.com/dtvkuka

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
If everything appears otherwise intact, most likely all that's happened is that the dish had swiveled slightly on the mast. Loosen the main mast bolts just a bit and swing it back into place while someone reports signals from the receiver's Signal Meters to the person on the roof with a cellphone.

If you used dishpointer.com to obtain your magnetic heading after entering your address and dish type from the drop down window, just swing your dish in that direction while watching a 119 tp on which you are still receiving signals.

If you have an HD installation, you'll probably need to lock down the main bolts once you reacquire and peak your 101 signals. Then adjust the AZ fine adjustment bolt underneath the dish mount for maximum signals on 103(c)/(a) after loosening slightly the two lock down nuts just under the horizontal plate right behind the dish. Tools required: 1/2" regular open end wrench. A a 1/2" deep socket wrench would be nice.

It's not that difficult with a helper. The rocket science is at the other end of the signal.

The most important thing is safety!

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SZMAN said:
I have had DTV for 12 years but the last few months my HD Plus DVR has been very inconsistent receiving HD channels. DTV has told me it is my receiver, another time my dish is out of allignment, etc. Well it is raining now and I have lost both tuners.

My question is how do I find out what transponder or whatever it is called (101, 99, etc) to adjust the position of my dish. I would like to try to adjust myself since dish is on a pole in corner of my yard and easy to access. I just don't know what to use to verify signal strength for HD locals, etc. ANy help would be appreciated. My zip is 20171 if that helps.
MY HD DVR reads as follows:
Axim - 224
Elev - 39
Tilt - 64
Are these the actual settings on my dish? Also, how do I find out where my local HD channels come from - 99? 101, etc?

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
SZMAN said:
MY HD DVR reads as follows:
Axim - 224
Elev - 39
Tilt - 64
Are these the actual settings on my dish? Also, how do I find out where my local HD channels come from - 99? 101, etc?
Those numbers will be very close. The Azimuth is not marked on the dish, but you should point it in that direction using a compass. If you don't get a signal, move it slowly and you should find a signal. If you cannot, try moving the elevation a degree or so and repeat with azimuth. If that doesn't work, move the elevation a bit in the opposite direction. It is best to do 101 first. The videos mentioned in an earlier post are quite helpful.

Your HD locals will come from either 99 or 103. I have not seen a good listing showing which satellite/transponders are used and they do change at times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.