DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had dish in AZ and CT but I moved into a house in CT surrounded by trees. I tried to get VOOM, but they said I could not, although I believe I could have even with the trees. I have 6000, 701, and 301 receivers (if I remember these correctly). I have a Dish 500 and 300 and some switches (I think). Here are my questions.

1) I am in CT. What satellite slots do I need to receive in order to get the maximum (non HBO, Showtime, etc.) high definition channels and some locals? 119, 110, and 61.5 is what I had before (I think -- it's been several years). Is that suitable? (I ask this so that I know which trees to cut down.)

2) I ran all of my cable connections to one location, and from there to each room (five rooms, each with only one RG-6 but one phone and two network wires). I would like to upgrade to a 622 (I think this is the HDTV PVR). Can I transmit over one cable for the 622? What hardware do I need to do this?

3) I would like to add an HDTV antenna to the roof along with the satellite dishes. I would like to run all wires to my central room and then from there to individual TVs. I will likely have at most three TVs, one with the 622 and the others with cheaper receivers (perhaps my 6000/701/301). I would like to minimize the number of cables run to the central room. If I want the ability to feed three-four TVs, with possibly two having local HDTV, how many cables would I have to run?

4) Is there a PVR fee for the 622? How is the interface? I currently have a Replay, which I think is great.

5) Can I perform my own installation or do I have to have this "professionally" installed? I have installed three different systems in three different locations.

6) Can I still use my old receivers? Anyone know where I can get an 8-VSB module for OTA reception for my 6000?

Feel free to point me to any websites that contain this information. I performed some searching this week and was a bit overwhelmed with the new material (i.e., what is a "dishpro" switch?), but I have the time to research this -- I will not install anything until we cut down the trees, which will not be until next year.

Thank you.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,990 Posts
ctviggen said:
I had dish in AZ and CT but I moved into a house in CT surrounded by trees. I tried to get VOOM, but they said I could not, although I believe I could have even with the trees. I have 6000, 701, and 301 receivers (if I remember these correctly). I have a Dish 500 and 300 and some switches (I think). Here are my questions.

1) I am in CT. What satellite slots do I need to receive in order to get the maximum (non HBO, Showtime, etc.) high definition channels and some locals? 119, 110, and 61.5 is what I had before (I think -- it's been several years). Is that suitable? (I ask this so that I know which trees to cut down.)
119, 110 and 61.5 will do you fine.

ctviggen said:
2) I ran all of my cable connections to one location, and from there to each room (five rooms, each with only one RG-6 but one phone and two network wires). I would like to upgrade to a 622 (I think this is the HDTV PVR). Can I transmit over one cable for the 622? What hardware do I need to do this?
With the right switch (a DPP switch of some kind) you can transmit to the 622 and use a seperator just before the tuner. I have a DPP44 switch, it has 4 inputs and 4 outputs - sounds like what you need.

ctviggen said:
3) I would like to add an HDTV antenna to the roof along with the satellite dishes. I would like to run all wires to my central room and then from there to individual TVs. I will likely have at most three TVs, one with the 622 and the others with cheaper receivers (perhaps my 6000/701/301). I would like to minimize the number of cables run to the central room. If I want the ability to feed three-four TVs, with possibly two having local HDTV, how many cables would I have to run?
One from each satellite output to the DPP44 SW and one directly to the 622 (or a splitter for other TV's). If you use an OTA splitter you may need a pre-amp on the OTA line if any stations are 40 miles away or such. Mine has 3 sat cables to the DPP44 and one cable to each tuner from the DPP44 plus a dedicated RG-6 run for OTA.

ctviggen said:
4) Is there a PVR fee for the 622? How is the interface? I currently have a Replay, which I think is great.
The 622 has one or two fees, the first is the $4.98 DVR service fee, the second is a $6.00 leased receiver fee only for those who lease the 622. I think the interface is OK, some options require too many button pushes, but that's all opinion. It is very fast to change channels and performs well. As with any cutting edge technology, there can and will be glitches.

ctviggen said:
5) Can I perform my own installation or do I have to have this "professionally" installed? I have installed three different systems in three different locations.
Depending on whether you buy or lease, (A) leasing you pay for the install whether you do it yourself or dish has it done, (B) buying, you also pay extra for install.

ctviggen said:
6) Can I still use my old receivers? Anyone know where I can get an 8-VSB module for OTA reception for my 6000?
The old receivers will still work, the 6000 will only get a fraction of the HD that the 622 gets because ALL the new HD channels are either MPEG4 or flagged to work on the ViP class receivers ONLY.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.