DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
DirecTV in Northern New York is using Mastec Technologies for their dish alignment and installation services... they're outsourcing it. I have since canceled DirecTV service but in 2019 when I had the dish aligned the cost was $99 which you could pay over several months if you did not have a dish protection plan. When fiber came to the house we canceled DirecTV and saved about $50 a month.

· Godfather
574 Posts
DirecTV in Northern New York is using Mastec Technologies for their dish alignment and installation services... they're outsourcing it. I have since canceled DirecTV service but in 2019 when I had the dish aligned the cost was $99 which you could pay over several months if you did not have a dish protection plan. When fiber came to the house we canceled DirecTV and saved about $50 a month.
I was a fan of DirectTv, we had it for almost 20 years but with all the storms and heavy rain that we frequently get in our area we got tired of all the interruptions and partial recordings. We then moved to an area where we are now that has Verizon Fios throughout the community. DirectTv is available but we were ready for something that wouldn’t have as many service interruptions. I do see a few dishes out here, both Dish and DirectTv but the vast majority has Fios or Comcast/Exfinity which became available a couple years ago out here. I could see going to something like DirectTv stream at some future time but I don’t think I could ever go back to a roof top satellite dish. I really don’t miss the days of leaning out a second floor window with an extendable broom trying to wipe the snow off our old dish.

· Registered
15 Posts
This thread seems to have gone off in different directions. Read the post from detuch 254, if you respond to this we can tell you definitely if its an alignment issue. Which it almost certainly is. A service visit at $99 will fix this, plus if there are any other problems the service guy will fix these also

· Registered
28 Posts
I was a fan of DirectTv, we had it for almost 20 years but with all the storms and heavy rain that we frequently get in our area we got tired of all the interruptions and partial recordings. We then moved to an area where we are now that has Verizon Fios throughout the community. DirectTv is available but we were ready for something that wouldn’t have as many service interruptions. I do see a few dishes out here, both Dish and DirectTv but the vast majority has Fios or Comcast/Exfinity which became available a couple years ago out here. I could see going to something like DirectTv stream at some future time but I don’t think I could ever go back to a roof top satellite dish. I really don’t miss the days of leaning out a second floor window with an extendable broom trying to wipe the snow off our old dish.
I don't see how DirecTV streaming could compete with Hulu or YouTube TV as far as price even Hulu's live TV plan is only $70.

· Registered
28 Posts
This thread seems to have gone off in different directions. Read the post from detuch 254, if you respond to this we can tell you definitely if its an alignment issue. Which it almost certainly is. A service visit at $99 will fix this, plus if there are any other problems the service guy will fix these also
He was also curious about what the price is for the service visit so I gave him my thoughts even though my service call was 3 plus years ago...

· Registered
28 Posts
I'm sure in the NYC and CT area it's not the price, it's the channels. No streaming service but Directv stream carries YES.
Even with an A La Carte Major League streaming package you could still do better than Directvs price point. It's the primary reason why streaming has become so popular especially YouTube TV and Hulu it's a fraction of the cost and if you want Sports you can do that as a separate service and still save money.

· Registered
23 Posts
I'm reasonably sure my dish needs to be realigned.

Any tips on navigating the 800 number that seems to be the only way to schedule service? I'm not a fan of trying to navigate their phone tree. (vast understatement) You'd think a company on such shaky ground would try to be a bit more user friendly.

How does a realignment cost these days? I've seen posts where it was $50 but they were 10 years old.
If you can access your dish and see a TV at the same time it is pretty simple to tune. And be sure it is not loose somehow. The only time I needed a "retune" when I moved here. If I'd have ordered my DTV service from Solidsignal insteadof direct from DTV, I would not have needed that.
When I moved here, I upgraded my dish to SWM and set it up. Awesome sauce. Then I upgraded the DTV box. They sent me the box via a tech and refused to turn it on otherwise. Ding dong the DTV guy tinkered with my dish and I lost signal regularly. I had to retune my dish.
Have to assume he left something loose. Aside from a flying object whacking it I have never seen or heard of a dish remarkably losing sight of the satellite. The only time I get a blocked signal is from those rare storms that come up from exactly south on a north south line. If it does get jacked it is not for long. I do like when we get snow from that direction. It is usually deeper and the good light fluffy stuff.

· Godfather
2,152 Posts
Even with an A La Carte Major League streaming package you could still do better than Directvs price point. It's the primary reason why streaming has become so popular especially YouTube TV and Hulu it's a fraction of the cost and if you want Sports you can do that as a separate service and still save money.
NOT IF YOU WANT THE YES NETWORK.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,516 Posts
Clearly you either ignored or haven't read this thread. Go back and read post #30.
I did read the post. Up to that point, there had been no mention of YES. There had been mention of MLB team packages but those would be MLB sponsored rather than YES (whom, I'm guessing, would be opposed to such a deal).

It is one of dozens of posts suggesting that YES is an unquestionable reason to choose DIRECTV over any other service.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts