DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DISH tv currently for 4 TV's. If I purchase a DISH receiver on Ebay is it easy to hook up other tvs to it or will I need a code or some type of installation help from DISH? I am also sure there will be an additional fee.

· Mentor
39 Posts
bohaiboy said:
I have DISH tv currently for 4 TV's. If I purchase a DISH receiver on Ebay is it easy to hook up other tvs to it or will I need a code or some type of installation help from DISH? I am also sure there will be an additional fee.
some more details concerning your Dish type/switches/and on-site receivers would be helpful.

I'm always leary of E-bay dish receivers, some people get bit bad.

· AllStar
66 Posts
Yep!

You can't effectively prove that they haven't loaded up the card with PPV's to the max. You'll get charged for all of those upon activation.

If it's a "hot" receiver, they'll simply report your attempt at activation on that hot receiver to the authorities.

Not sure it's worth it, unless there is hand delivery and you can view and confirm with E* before paying them and taking possesion.

· Godfather
316 Posts
bohaiboy said:
This board is full of posts about the pitfalls of buying receivers on Ebay and other sites. The most obvious is buying a receiver with an account attached to it with owed money. The other is no warranty. You buy it you own it you support it. I'm not saying any of this will happen to you. But buyer beware. But yes if you happen to get lucky you just call E* and the process is totally automated as far as activation is concerned. Also, You have to look at your install. Is it even possible to add another receiver? You didn't say anything about switches or LNB's or anything. So do your homework before plunking down any money.

· Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
I've bought several receivers off of ebay and sold one myself with no problems either way. Just be sensible about what you are doing. Look for a seller who has had an ebay account for a while, who has a good number of transactions, and scan through their feedback. If the seller has had an ebay account for years, has hundreds or thousands of buys and sells, and has lots of good feedback, then you are probably OK.

Alternatively, if the seller is brand new, has no feedback, will only accept a check and won't ship until after you mail the check and it clears....well, I probably wouldn't go for that....

Hope that helps and good luck.

EXTACAMO said:
This board is full of posts about the pitfalls of buying receivers on Ebay and other sites. The most obvious is buying a receiver with an account attached to it with owed money. The other is no warranty. You buy it you own it you support it. I'm not saying any of this will happen to you. But buyer beware. But yes if you happen to get lucky you just call E* and the process is totally automated as far as activation is concerned. Also, You have to look at your install. Is it even possible to add another receiver? You didn't say anything about switches or LNB's or anything. So do your homework before plunking down any money.

· AllStar
97 Posts
Agree with the above. I just bought a DP34 on Ebay that turned out to be faulty. The seller has been around for years with a 99%+ feedback rating. Immediately after being told of the bad switch, the seller refunded my money in full.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
One other pitfall to think about -

Some individuals "sell" a leased receiver - which they can't do. You lose your money AND you don't get your receiver.

If you REALLY want to get a cheap receiver - I'd look at someone whose been doing business a long time - even a good online retailer. At the least - you know you aren't getting a "hot" receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
The other is no warranty. You buy it you own it you support it
This is sort of true. Even out of warranty, the most it would cost to replace the receiver would be 49.99 + 14.95 S&H. If you have dhpp its covered full replacement. Only thing really to be wary of would be any customer caused damage it may already have, and that would void the warranty regardless.

Before purchasing any receiver that is used, always get the receiver number (R00********) and call E* to have it checked. They will be able to tell if it is transferable to a new account(ie, not leased, and no outstanding balance on the old account, and not active on the old account). I'll have to check, but i'm fairly sure that if there are any ppv's on the card, they'll be linked to the old account, and it would be the one charged. Will see what i can find out tomorrow.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
The only way old PPVs would get charged to the OLD account is if the receiver is sent in to dish via RA *before* being put on the new account, so, yes, there is some potential danger there.

· Legend
220 Posts
lee635 said:
I've bought several receivers off of ebay and sold one myself with no problems either way. Just be sensible about what you are doing. Look for a seller who has had an ebay account for a while, who has a good number of transactions, and scan through their feedback. If the seller has had an ebay account for years, has hundreds or thousands of buys and sells, and has lots of good feedback, then you are probably OK.

Alternatively, if the seller is brand new, has no feedback, will only accept a check and won't ship until after you mail the check and it clears....well, I probably wouldn't go for that....

Hope that helps and good luck.
+1
I have bought many receivers off of ebay over the years and have never experienced a problem. :)

· Icon
824 Posts
I too have had great success buying on ebay. The most important thing to do is get the R00 and S00 (receiver and smartcard numbers) and call Dish to see if it can be activated BEFORE you buy. If the seller won't give you those numbers, move on.

Another option is to buy new receivers from ebay. That is where I buy all mine and they come with a full one year warranty from the day you activate them, no matter who is selling them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.