DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kick4fun said:
hmm.. Interesting.. Sounds like Dish is really forward thinking these days.. Nice to see..
Well it would probably be shortsighted to think they'll survive forever just by relying on sticking dishes on people's roofs, so yeah it's good to see that they do seem to be always exploring other options.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
908 Posts
I'm not sure internet TV will replace the other systems anytime but soon, but I have always believed it is destined to be a player. The alliance Dish started with Sling, the buying of BB, DishOnline service and this Glenn Beck deal, all internet connected.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Yeah, TV providers and networks face an interesting future. I saw some study results later that showed younger viewers watch a very high percentage of their "TV" viewing via online sources, much higher than older viewers. So the future (as poor as most of us are at predicting that!) seems to be skewed towards online sourcing. But who the heck knows what that will look like.
 

·
Godfather/Supporter
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
fudpucker said:
Yeah, TV providers and networks face an interesting future. I saw some study results later that showed younger viewers watch a very high percentage of their "TV" viewing via online sources, much higher than older viewers. So the future (as poor as most of us are at predicting that!) seems to be skewed towards online sourcing. But who the heck knows what that will look like.
Well said.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
47 Posts
"bloomberg.com" said:
Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen, who co-founded the company, has said there will be a day when a pay-TV operator chooses not to include sports in order to charge $10 to $20 per month less than competitors.

"My mom doesn't watch sports," Ergen said during a conference call last month. "I've got neighbors who don't want sports. I've got friends who go to the bars or the neighbors' house to watch sports."
Sorry sports lovers
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Just read that bloomberg article.

The CEO of TWC sounds like a real jerk. Totally inappropriate remark about"old people".

Shame on someone who's suppose to be "educated"...........:nono2:
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
447 Posts
satcrazy said:
Just read that bloomberg article.

The CEO of TWC sounds like a real jerk. Totally inappropriate remark about"old people".

Shame on someone who's suppose to be "educated"...........:nono2:
I'm one of those "old people." We watched the debates on PBS via Dish, which was the first time we have used our 722 in several weeks. We have two Roku's and two iPads in the house and watch Netflix almost exclusively. I do not miss the ads at all :welcome:
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Good for you!

It just burns me when some CEO makes such a stupid remark.

I would venture a guess that a large majority of his customer base are "old people". [ who probably pay their cable bill on time]

One day he will fall into that catagory.

Karma.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
pfred said:
Sorry sports lovers
Hey, I'm sure DirectTV would love for Dish to drop all sports coverage, since Ergan's mom doesn't watch sports. I bet his mom doesn't watch a lot of cutting edge shows either. She probably didn't care for Walking Dead or Mad Men either. ;)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
649 Posts
That would be great! Would be a nice "replacement" to taking away BB. I use Amazon streaming all the time through my Panny 60ST50 TV. It would be nice to use it on the other 2 TV's in the house.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
47 Posts
fudpucker said:
Hey, I'm sure DirectTV would love for Dish to drop all sports coverage, since Ergan's mom doesn't watch sports. I bet his mom doesn't watch a lot of cutting edge shows either. She probably didn't care for Walking Dead or Mad Men either. ;)
I am not sure if you are kidding, but the implication is a lot of people's moms don't watch sports, implying that a lot of other people don't watch sports, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
pfred said:
I am not sure if you are kidding, but the implication is a lot of people's moms don't watch sports, implying that a lot of other people don't watch sports, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.
I was slightly tongue in cheek. But a lot of people's moms don't watch How I Met Your Mother and similar network comedies, which implies of lot of other people don't watch them, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

I'm guessing your average viewer regularly watches less than a third of the channels they get from Dish (pulled that number purely out of the air, just a guess.) Ergen, in almost every interview I read in business outlets, sounds like one of those super-rich arrogant CEOs that I hate seeing in a position to impact me in any way. ;)

But it was not a joke, I am sure DirectTV would love it if Dish dropped all sports.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
fudpucker said:
I was slightly tongue in cheek. But a lot of people's moms don't watch How I Met Your Mother and similar network comedies, which implies of lot of other people don't watch them, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

I'm guessing your average viewer regularly watches less than a third of the channels they get from Dish (pulled that number purely out of the air, just a guess.) Ergen, in almost every interview I read in business outlets, sounds like one of those super-rich arrogant CEOs that I hate seeing in a position to impact me in any way. ;)

But it was not a joke, I am sure DirectTV would love it if Dish dropped all sports.
fud,
they'd probably wet themselves, but ergen knows this. I would be totally amazed if he ever did this. Too many sports people in the viewing base, he wouldn't take the hit in revenue stream.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
satcrazy said:
fud,
they'd probably wet themselves, but ergen knows this. I would be totally amazed if he ever did this. Too many sports people in the viewing base, he wouldn't take the hit in revenue stream.
Oh, yeah, in spite of my lack of admiration for the guy, he's not that stupid. He just sometimes makes stupid comments. ;)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top