DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions, please. I upgraded to HD in July 2005 with the 942. My 942 with its dual tuner replaced two (2) older receivers. These receivers were immediately returned to Dish, which was over sixteen (16) months ago now. I have since discarded the UPS tracking number receipts, etc.
Now, 16 MONTHS LATER, out of the blue an assessment has show up on my bill for my alleged failure to return these two receivers---which were absolutely returned in July 2005.
Any comments or suggestions? Thanks so much!!!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,865 Posts
83dawg said:
I have since discarded the UPS tracking number receipts, etc.
Treat return tracking numbers like other serious financial documents: keep them around for a few years.

For this goaround, ask Dish if they can provide you the tracking numbers to prove a point, if nothing else; I don't think they keep track of the call tags that they issue.

Treat anyone you come in contact with at Dish with respect whether it is due or not. Maybe you're not being sincere, but it should help and chances are that the person you're talking to didn't "accuse" you.

The ceo angle is highly recommended.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Why is it unrealistic?

Not saying it is fair... or that the original poster is being treated fairly... but it is not unrealistic to expect folks to keep records.

The IRS can go back 7 years in an audit... so people that don't have their records will lose-out if they can't prove something that they claimed a few years ago when the IRS comes knocking.

It is just plain prudent to keep proof because no one operates on the honor system. All the time people want other companies or other people to provide written proof... so why would you not keep your own written proof?

In a perfect world, everyone would be honest and you could trust everyone and nobody would ever make a mistake... but I've never been to that world! :)

Keep your receipts and tracking numbers and whatever you get... because your life will be MUCH easier if anything happens down the road if you have proof in your possession.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Something doesn't sound right, DISH generally doesn't charge customers in excess of six months for most any reason. Retailers are a different story though. Do you have a clipping of the charge from your bill you can post?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,865 Posts
lakebum431 said:
That is fine to say, but unrealistic. Who does that?
Anyone who has ever been burned like this. It is a lot easier to store information like this than it is to go after someone who claims not to have received something you sent.

Of course the other option is to track everything until you have proof of delivery (assuming that it arrives) and save the proof. There's a surprisingly high number of shipments that don't make it.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Zero327 said:
Something doesn't sound right, DISH generally doesn't charge customers in excess of six months for most any reason. Retailers are a different story though. Do you have a clipping of the charge from your bill you can post?
I had the same thing happen to me, but luckily I had the tracking numbers handy to prove to Dish that I returned them

·
Legend
152 Posts
It appears they might be incorporating tactics to generate revenue in whatever way possible-- even possibly defrauding their own customers. Sad...

·
Godfather
256 Posts
mhowie said:
It appears they might be incorporating tactics to generate revenue in whatever way possible-- even possibly defrauding their own customers. Sad...
And you reached that conclusion how? It's far more likely an employee made some form of error, or that DISH just may be correct then it is a master plan to defraud 13 million customers....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
mhowie said:
Doh. what makes it "appear" (to you) that this is the case. :rolleyes:

·
Legend
152 Posts
SaltiDawg said:
Doh. what makes it "appear" (to you) that this is the case. :rolleyes:
The number of those who follow this forum represent a very small percentage of total Dish users who have upgraded equipment and were supposed to return older hardware. The number of those impacted who might have stumbled onto this thread is even smaller. The fact that at at least two forum members have recently experienced such a charge on their bill for equipment apparently returned many, many months (17 in one such example) earlier (why would one keep tracking number documentation if the hardware has been successfully returned and there had not been any communication from Dish immediately afterward indicating differently?), suggests the potential exists.

Computer glitch, employee error, yada/yada-- if the allegations regarding these "phantom" assessments are correct, why is the customer saddled with the burden of proof in order to get false charges reversed?

Here's a real conspiracy theory for you... these charges are occurring late in the year (December) because they can be booked as revenue for this calendar year.

Keep the rolling eyes to yourself.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
mhowie said:
The number of those who follow this forum represent a very small percentage of total Dish users who have upgraded equipment and were supposed to return older hardware. The number of those impacted who might have stumbled onto this thread is even smaller. The fact that at at least two forum members have recently experienced such a charge on their bill for equipment apparently returned many, many months (17 in one such example) earlier (why would one keep tracking number documentation if the hardware has been successfully returned and there had not been any communication from Dish immediately afterward indicating differently?), suggests the potential exists.

Computer glitch, employee error, yada/yada-- if the allegations regarding these "phantom" assessments are correct, why is the customer saddled with the burden of proof in order to get false charges reversed?

Here's a real conspiracy theory for you... these charges are occurring late in the year (December) because they can be booked as revenue for this calendar year.

Keep the rolling eyes to yourself.
Well, at least half of what you just said is semi-logical I suppose. This isn't a DISH practice though and anything else until such time as 83dawg posts something more tangible is pure speculation. Take my word for it, or don't. But DISH doesn't charge customers a year later for failing to return equipment unless it is an accident (you really want to take my word on that one.) If he wants help getting it resolved, then there's information on the bill that will help.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
mhowie said:
Here's a real conspiracy theory for you... these charges are occurring late in the year (December) because they can be booked as revenue for this calendar year. ...
Yeah right. :rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
mhowie said:
22,000 employees in concert to defraud 13 million customers?!? April fools Day is in a few months, but nice try! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
mhowie said:
... Here's a real conspiracy theory for you... these charges are occurring late in the year (December) because they can be booked as revenue for this calendar year.
You believe in the second gunman on the grassy nole too, don't you? :rolleyes:

·
Legend
171 Posts
A wonderfull "April fools day to you" Slamminc11,

About a month ago, I went thru living hell with Charlie's best!

Thank GOD, I keep my UPS tracking #'s, or I would have been billed for over $1200 bucks on my account, for receivers that" I never returned", when I upgraded to HD.

They keep sending me empty boxes, telling me that the receivers were their property, and if they weren't returned, I would be charged for each receiver!

The joke is that I've been a customer for 7 years, and payed every month, and the idiots(as usual) CSR's made me feel like a criminal, and asked me for proof! I finally called the CEO's office, and raised hell, and after 3 calls, I think this has finally gone away.

But I think that if this is the way Dish is going to treat their long term customers, they are going to have a serious problem!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.