DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the last year I have started to have signal problems. The signal was better when the wind was blowing.

I had setup my round dish many years ago on the side wall of the 2nd story of my house. Which went very smoothly. I assumed the signal loss was due to the trees growing up in the front yard, so I decided to move the dish.

I had purchased a new dish along with the TOSHIBIA DST-3000 reciver several years ago but never took the time to setup the new dish which has 2 LNBs.

In my new location with the new dish, for Satellite A I can get the following transponders and signal strength.
1 thru 25 is 0
26-58
27-54
28-0
29-70
30-88
31-83
32-84

For Satellite B I get
23-68
24-0
25-0
26-0
27-63
28-52
30-67
31-0
32-89

Any thoughts at what could be wrong?

Am I picking up the wrong satellite?

Would the power lines accross the road make the signal disappear for the lower transponders? (The old location was about 10 feet higher, which would have been pointing higher above the power lines.)

Did I mess up the receiver in this process?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Power lines should not affect it. Make sure your wiring is correct to the dish from the receiver, set the receiver to SAT A (101) transponder 1, and attempt to locate the satellite with the dish. Use whatever your receiver suggests for a tilt preset, make sure the pole is plumb. Set the elevation to what your receiver suggests, then while monitoring the receiver SAT A, tr 1, rotate the antenna on the pole and see if you can get a signal. Start 10 degrees east and rotate the antenna west. If you get to 10 degrees past where you think it should be, raise the elevation 2 degrees and repeat. Still no signal, lower elevation 4 degrees and repeat. Still no signal, hook up your old single sat dish there and verifty you can actually get the satellite at that location. Im assuming you arent running the cables through a multiswitch or any external stuff, and going directly from the dish to the lnb.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Those numbers are not good, especially the 101-deg SatA satellite that should have high readings on most all of the transponders. What do you see on the test channels (490, 491, 492, 493 and 494)? You won't see anything on 492 because your dish doesn't have the SatC/110-deg LNB and combiner installed.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the time tonight to hook up my old dish and old reciever, and was able to receive the necessary signals. Switched back to the newer receiver with the old dish and still had signal problems.

Before I declare my newer receiver toast, is there a way to reset the DST-3000.

I had left it unplugged for a day the other day to see if that would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
mdoll said:
I took the time tonight to hook up my old dish and old reciever, and was able to receive the necessary signals. Switched back to the newer receiver with the old dish and still had signal problems.

Before I declare my newer receiver toast, is there a way to reset the DST-3000.

I had left it unplugged for a day the other day to see if that would help.

Thanks
Pulling the power is about all you can do. If that doesn't help, then its tuner is defective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.