Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish, TWC to Provide Local Weather

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/8/2006 10:46:00 PM

EchoStar Communications and The Weather Channel are teaming up to offer Dish Network direct-broadcast satellite subscribers new local-weather features and severe-weather warnings.

As of 5 p.m. (EST) Wednesday, Dish customers began receiving targeted weather information determined by ZIP code, along with interactive enhancements and weather warnings, the two companies said.

The overlay mode on Dish's TWC Weather channel provides local-weather content including current conditions, Doppler radar and short-term and five-day forecasts, and the two companies said viewers can find local-weather information for thousands of cities across the United States based on ZIP code or city listing, as well as setting a default city and saving favorite cities for faster access...

-----
( The entire article is at the following source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6389697.html )

·
Legend
106 Posts
I have never seen this on TWC. Dish's web site says, "* Not available on some receiver models. " So, which models does this work on? Going to Dish ch. 100 is slow and has few weather details. So far, cable and the internet are still far better weather resources.

·
Banned
989 Posts
Doesn't work on my 522.

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts
It is not fully operational yet. Reports are 25% of most receivers have it via channel 100. Nobody has reported the popup on 214 or the special weather alert icon on any other channel.

So far, it is barely out there to use.

We've had reports across the board on many different receiver types that have received this software ... but not all receivers of any type (except the 721) are getting it yet. It's being phased in.

·
Legend
109 Posts
Dish emailed me yesterday and told me 2-3 weeks everybody should have it.As long as these receivers get the interactive channel they will work.

·
Legend
109 Posts
BillRadio said:
I have never seen this on TWC. Dish's web site says, "* Not available on some receiver models. " So, which models does this work on? Going to Dish ch. 100 is slow and has few weather details. So far, cable and the internet are still far better weather resources.
I went to someones house who does have this on 100 and it loads up faster then instant weather but the load times are slow about a minute to load to a different location if you change it.I like it.It's a lot better then instant weather and you have the weather channel in the background so it's not silent like instant weather.The radar shows several states including your own.I also noticed the temperature changed 15 minutes later.That's how often they update.I assume they are waiting to get 100 turned on to all receivers before they start on 214.It looks good on 100 too.I couldn't find anything I didn't like about it.I emailed the tech forum about when 214 would start working so hopefully they will say Monday.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
337 Posts
I'm confused since this is not the weather on the eights that I thought was coming and that I remember from cable. The cable version had several slates of detailed weather information - the E* version is more like the current instant weather.

·
Legend
109 Posts
wkomorow said:
I'm confused since this is not the weather on the eights that I thought was coming and that I remember from cable. The cable version had several slates of detailed weather information - the E* version is more like the current instant weather.
There is 2 versions of this the first being on channel 100 and the other one on 214.Channel 214 will give you the local on the 8's slideshow like you see on cable.Once you see a banner during local on the 8's you will hit select.The version on channel 100 is a little different.It doesn't offer you the slideshow but it's similar to instant weather but better.It allows you to put up to 5 zipcodes or favorite locations by state and also has a radar which shows several states.The slideshow on 214 shows the radar from your state only.Channel 214 hasn't been updated yet but most likely in 2-3 weeks when all receivers are turned on to get the one on 100 then 214 will be too.

·
AllStar
68 Posts
I've got the channel 100 version on the 510, and it looks good. I still get a "not yet available" message on my old 4900 receiver.

·
Legend
231 Posts
whats weird is that my 301 has local on the 8s but the two other 301s in our house does not. but its neat to see several places in ohio that we normally visit to see what kind of weather we will get, especially when we go visit family on thanksgiving.

·
Godfather
484 Posts
angiecopus said:
whats weird is that my 301 has local on the 8s but the two other 301s in our house does not
That's nothing…

I have two 4900s, one of which has no service on it since I removed it from my account a couple of weeks ago when E* took away my DNS without advance notice.

At that time, the TWC option wasn't even in the interactive menu, but now it is, and on the receiver WITH NO SERVICE it works, but on the subscribed receiver it's "not yet available".

Ya know, for six years I've been a more or less satisfied E* sub, but this month............... :nono2:

I'm not impressed.

·
Legend
109 Posts
It just popped up on my 301.It now lets me see my local weather on 100.My father called me and he says his other 301 is getting it too.

·
Icon
913 Posts
Working on both my 622 and 301 tonight on channel 100. Nothing on ch. 214 yet. I suppose that won't come until they're sure there on no bugs on ch. 100.

·
Super Moderator
53,155 Posts
My 211 and 501 have it now. (I'll have to check the 301 later.)

·
Legend
109 Posts
I expeirenced a bug.When I clicked on the radar it caused the weather channel to freeze.After I got out and reloaded and tried the radar again it come up and didn't cause twc to freeze.I hope they will fix this has anyone else expeirenced it?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.