DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could my poor SD PQ be the result of the dish type? They installed a 500. The work order in the email said 500. I thought it was supposed to ba a 1000 so I called the Dish people and they ASSURED me their work order said 1000. I saw the installers put in the 500 and didn't say anything because I assume they knew what they were doing.

So, did they know what they were doing? Or, do I really need a 1000 dish to get proper PQ on SD channels?

I don't see how that could be since I AM getting HD channels of pretty good quality?

Thanks for any help. :D

I am looking for any excuse not to have to fight with Dish over a refund and stay with them since the 622 IS a very good DVR otherwise.

(FYI: I have tried every cable and routing configuration--even the exact same one I had with D* and adjusting the HDTVs PQ settings.)

· Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
The type of dish and/or number of dishes you have will affect that programming you can receive but if you are receiving all the programming you sub to, I don't think the PQ will be affected as long as you have good signal strength. And poor signal strength will usually result in picture breakup or complete loss, not a quality issue.

· AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mwgiii said:
If you were supposed to get a Dish 1000 but instead received a Dish 500, then you are missing an entire satellite's worth of channels.
I guess not, then. I at least am getting my locals and the HD channels. I'll look again tonight and see. Of course, Out of what, a couple hundred channels, I only want ten.:lol:

· Mentor
42 Posts
The only thing the 1000 gets you is 3 satellites from one pan. You can use any combination of dishes to achieve this and using multiple dishes will actually increase the signal strength for each bird.

JAB

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
If you have a 622 and subscribe to one of the HD metal pak's you'll want to make sure you have something looking at either 61.5 or 129 to get ALL the HD channels available to you. If you only have a Dish500 looking at 119 and 110 you will be missing out on all the MPEG4 HD content.

· AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JAB said:
The only thing the 1000 gets you is 3 satellites from one pan. You can use any combination of dishes to achieve this and using multiple dishes will actually increase the signal strength for each bird.

JAB
I believe I am getting three sats.

Pretty sure I don't get 61.5.

· AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob Glasser said:
If you have a 622 and subscribe to one of the HD metal pak's you'll want to make sure you have something looking at either 61.5 or 129 to get ALL the HD channels available to you. If you only have a Dish500 looking at 119 and 110 you will be missing out on all the MPEG4 HD content.
I don't know what a metal pak is so I probably never subscribed to it.

What exactly MPEG4 HD content would I be missing? I cannot call another Indian E* employee--I have had it with those guys. They don't know what they're talking about and I can't understand them anyway.

I appreciate your help here because maybe I paid and am paying for something I am not getting.

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Lnd Svyr said:
I don't know what a metal pak is so I probably never subscribed to it.

What exactly MPEG4 HD content would I be missing? I cannot call another Indian E* employee--I have had it with those guys. They don't know what they're talking about and I can't understand them anyway.

I appreciate your help here because maybe I paid and am paying for something I am not getting.
By metal pak I'm referring to Dish's new HD packaged known as Bronze, Silver, and Gold (i.e. all metals). These packages include both the old MPEG2 HD channels and the new MPEG4 HD channels. If you have their old HD package (only available if you had an older HD receiver) then you would not have the MPEG4 channels, which are all replicated on both 61.5 (for the east coast primarily) and 129 (for the rest of the country).

As for what your missing, it's any HD channel added to Dish Network this year. This includes some of the Voom channels, ESPN2HD, Universal HD, HGTV HD, Food HD, Starz HD, NFL HD, Nat. Geographic HD, and a lot of local market's HD channels. You can check out the entire list over at: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/129list.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.