DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my own installation...Don't want to be stuck in a contract with direct TV. Which satellites will I need to get HD and American English Package?

I have seen 3 LNB dishes and 5 LNB dishes? The 3 LNB holds 101, 110, 119 degree satellites. I just need the basics. Anyone?

· Legend
136 Posts
"gordo80" said:
I am doing my own installation...Don't want to be stuck in a contract with direct TV. Which satellites will I need to get HD and American English Package?

I have seen 3 LNB dishes and 5 LNB dishes? The 3 LNB holds 101, 110, 119 degree satellites. I just need the basics. Anyone?
DIRECTV's installations have nothing to do with contracts to keep their service. But to answer your question, a 5LNB will get you all the English and Spanish programming as well as HD. Some receivers won't work with or even without SWM so more information about your receiver models and number of them would be helpful to give the best recommendation.

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
It's the older Phase III dish with 3 LNBs that receives 101, 110, and 119.

The AU9 dish with the SL3 LNB (one knob that receives 99, 101, and 103) should be enough for you. If you want Spanish channels then the SL5 LNB (has 3 knobs) to also get 110, and 119 would be the one.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
I *THINK* the only way you can get out of the commitment is if you outright BUY the receivers, but depending on what you want, it's probably cheaper to just break your commitment and pay the ETF.
As far as which LNB you want, your locals are PROBABLY on 99 or 103. If you give your zip, somebody can check for you.

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
gordo80 said:

I don't DIRECTV will even activate an account for a self-installed dish and receiver(s).

Certainly not the Ka/Ku SlimLine for HD anyhow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.