DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here and got a pretty nice offer from DirecTV recently. I'm fairly happy with Dish over the past two years so I figured I would call and see if they matched the offer.

Instead, the representative tried to smoothtalk me into staying with Dish because in the long run, DirecTV's comparable package is $4 a month more. So I told him that the first 12 months are just 35$ which means more than $240 savings which more than evens out that $4/month... but they still wouldn't match the DirecTV offer and started talking about how much better their quality is.

I thought these companies tried to match each other's offers so existing customers would stay with them? Is there a "secret" way to do this? Has anyone gotten Dish to match the other one's offer recently?

· Hall Of Fame
1,355 Posts
cherzra said:
Hi guys,

I'm new here and got a pretty nice offer from DirecTV recently. I'm fairly happy with Dish over the past two years so I figured I would call and see if they matched the offer.

Instead, the representative tried to smoothtalk me into staying with Dish because in the long run, DirecTV's comparable package is $4 a month more. So I told him that the first 12 months are just 35$ which means more than $240 savings which more than evens out that $4/month... but they still wouldn't match the DirecTV offer and started talking about how much better their quality is.

I thought these companies tried to match each other's offers so existing customers would stay with them? Is there a "secret" way to do this? Has anyone gotten Dish to match the other one's offer recently?
If you think it is such a good deal, then go. We'll see you back in a year when you realize the truth...

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slamminc11 said:
If you think it is such a good deal, then go. We'll see you back in a year when you realize the truth...
Which is? I'm not here to bash Dish. I'm here to see why they won't match DirecTV's deal and any opinions on why it would be good/bad to switch. So what's "the truth?"

· AllStar
52 Posts
I suspect that Dish feels that constantly attempting to match a competitor's latest offer leads to churn, which many company tries to avoid (rightly so IMHO). It's a battle that can never be won by either of the participants and ultimately leads to higher prices for customers of both.

· Godfather
483 Posts
Basically, they don't make any money off of you during those introductory periods... they do it to gain a new customer that will hopefully stick around and pay the going rate at which point you become profitable.

If you already signed up... you got your introductory offer already, and if they decide to match your offer now, they will have to do it again in the future, and if they match it for you... why not their other 15 million customers??

Basically, you are asking them to pay you to stay a customer with them... why would they want to do that?

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
What you need to do is call and cancel. The cancellation specilist is the only person that can do matching deals. The do not match deals for everyone. The only way you will find out is if you call and cancel.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
cherzra said:
Hi guys,

When you joined DISH 2 years ago you got a discounted offer that take about 3 years before DISH breaks even so you are still a year from making them a profit. You now expect them to give a further discount just to keep you as a customer. Does that mean they need to wait 5 years before you become a profitable customer? Oh wait now FIOS has come to your area and they have a discount you want them to match, well sure in another 2 years maybe we can make a profit. The name of the game for corporations is to make a profit for their shareholders, plainly and simply.

Why should DISH buy you as a customer again and again? What make you so valuable?

7 Posts
When I was in the retention department, i would suggest that "while we understand that some customers are going to switch providers every year or two chasing after special offers, Dish Network is the best solution for people who don't care to play the corporate of games and just want the cheapest everyday price." :)

I was generally highly resistant to any price matching, but if i happened to notice that you were some combination of (5-year+ customer/$100+ monthly bill/good pay history/whatever else i felt relevant to your account), only then would I consider throwing a little cash at you.

But everyone develops their own way of evaluating. Some retentionists have always been happy to throw money at every customers because it was an 'easy save', which figured into their rankings for bonuses and promotions. However, I heard from a friend still on those phones that the save rates are coming out of the ranking, with the emphasis now being placed on call quality scores. The incentive to throw money at everyone who calls in is now greatly decreased. I don't expect it to last long, as the execs are sure to panic when the save rate drops, despite that many of those customers were not profitable.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
Dishrat said:
However, I heard from a friend still on those phones that the save rates are coming out of the ranking, with the emphasis now being placed on call quality scores. The incentive to throw money at everyone who calls in is now greatly decreased.
Well, now that the save rates do not figure in, what all goes into figuring out the call quality score?

7 Posts
jclewter79 said:
Well, now that the save rates do not figure in, what all goes into figuring out the call quality score?
Generally just using proper openings and closings, and giving correct information and disclosures.

On retention calls the employees are expected to make two offers to keep the customer, or one offer and two rebuttals. Offers are not necessarily giving away products and services... but basically anything which could be considered a solution to the disconnect reason. Offering to downgrade your service to something more affordable, or to sell you additional products and services, is entirely appropriate and even preferred.

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
cherzra said:
Which is? I'm not here to bash Dish. I'm here to see why they won't match DirecTV's deal and any opinions on why it would be good/bad to switch. So what's "the truth?"
Hi Cherzra,
:welcome_s to DBSTalk
It is clear by your post that "bashing" is not the intent of your question, which is a good question.

Many, perhaps even most companies have taken the stand to "match" competitors offers, especially in our current national and global economy. To most companies, especially Telcom's, market-share is everything.

Since its inception, DISH has relied on the belief that, both their product and service is superior to the competition, and has taken the stand to gain its market-share based on that, as opposed to matching offers of competitors.

That being said, DISH did recently suffer a small loss in its subscriber base, so I suppose the best approach may be subjective, but unfortunately, to address your specific question, it is not likely DISH will consider matching any competitors offers.

The best consideration as to which to use, should be based on your particular needs and wants, rather than the difference of a few dollars, which, as others have posted, will soon vanish. More so, you should consider what you will be paying both companies, 3-4 years from now, for the products and services you want and need.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
cherzra said:
As it stands now, the truth is that depending upon location one could probably change to DirecTV now and save money and in two years switch to cable and save money and two years later switch to FIOS and save money and two years later switch to Dish and save money....

Some people will continue to chase the "savings" forever. They are the core of "churn." The companies accept that they must put up with "churn." But, fortunately, at some point most customers become comfortable with a system. These are the customers Dish and Direct both want to keep, but not to the point of never even covering costs.

I like Dish equipment. If I was a serious sports enthusiast I'd probably go with Direct and never consider changing. Like many I don't want to be part of the churn. I personally don't want some guy on my roof every two years installing satellite dishes and/or wires, plus I don't relish the idea of having my family cope with unfamiliar equipment, all to save some money, unless money got really tight for us as it has at times in the past and cutting back on premiums wouldn't be enough.

I'm sure Dish can tell that about me from my account. So I don't expect them to be calling to offer me a fantastic deal because they fear I will sign up with Comcast. That's OK with me.

Your situation is different. So maybe the truth for you is to swim in the churn. And that's the nice thing - the truth in this case is a personal choice.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Just want to give you a heads up... (Disclaimer: I have Directv and love there service... Thats not saying I don't like Dish, I've never had them so I can't say one way or the other, but I hear they are good too) Directv has recently been craking down on people who regularly call in and threaten to cancel if they aren't given some deal for some reason... With most people who don't call in too often, they simply state that they don't do that, like Dish has told you. However, for some people who have been getting discounts all the time in the past, and have been told no and then keep calling back and asking again and again.. they are starting to say, ok... No problem, let me just go ahead and disconnect your service... there we go... all done... have a nice day! I think that Dish and Directv know they have a huge advantage over all the other providers right now, and they don't really need to offer existing customers discounts, especially when it turns those customers into money losers... And I believe very little of either companies gains and losses of customers come directly as a result from people switching between the two for reasons that are based on package pricing...

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Well I can not comment on E* but I know while I was on D* for 5 years in a row I managed I to get between 15-20 off per month I would say 50 of 60 months I was I was D*. Only reason I switched from D* to E* was because HD Absolute.

If you read the Slickdeals or Fatwallet many people on both boards report getting both D* and E* to not only match each other promo's but many times one up each. But your luck is based on CSR roulette as ever CSR will re-act differently and 99% do not act like you but give away credits like it is nothing.

Do not kid yourself about E* or D* not making money off of your account as close to 40% of companies revenue comes from the ad space they are allowed to resale on all the channels they sell. The more people getting those channels allows them to increase the amount they charge for the ad's they sell.

I know for example from everyone on Fatwallet and Slickdeals and including the stuff I was able to do. I never managed to be able to decrease my bill under $75 per month but I had everything for that price including HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and Premier package. Just like people on FW and SD claim they are able to squeeze E* for a monthly credit for them to stay. Things I have seen people post that E* agreed to were the following: $20 credit per month for 12 months based on the fact the person agree to maintain AT250 + HD thus the end result was person was really only paying for AT200 package and getting the extra channels for free + HD channels. Another person managed to get $30 per month off AT everything package for 12 months in effect giving him HD Gold + HD Platinum for free and Cinemax for free.

Go read both SD and FW many people reported getting $10 credit to offset the cost of the HD add on any AT package with locals and HD + DVR add. So getting something off as long as you are reasonable is doable. The problem becomes when someone on AT100 package with no add ons request free HD + HD Platinum that you going to get laughed at as they are not going to give you $20 off $35 package.

Btw I been with E* 30 days and I managed to get an extra $10 credit for 12 months. I order HD Absolute + HBO, Starz, Showtime and Free Cinemax. 3 days after I was installed I called to complain I was canceling showtime like my friend told me and when the rep asked why I said because they only had 1 HD channel and I did not think it was worth it. Rep right away offered to give me a $10 credit for 12 month if I kept it. I said for free sure. So I am getting both Showtime and Cinemax for free.

Dishrat said:
Generally just using proper openings and closings, and giving correct information and disclosures.

On retention calls the employees are expected to make two offers to keep the customer, or one offer and two rebuttals. Offers are not necessarily giving away products and services... but basically anything which could be considered a solution to the disconnect reason. Offering to downgrade your service to something more affordable, or to sell you additional products and services, is entirely appropriate and even preferred.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I do know that companies pay attention to this sort of thing... and customers who go back and forth semi-frequently for the "best deals" eventually get flagged, at least unofficially, and they don't get the best deals anymore.

So even the "best deal" switching will only get you so far.

While it is always nice to be appreciated for being loyal and a long-term customer... I never feel owed anything, and I never threaten to leave unless something has happened that thoroughly disappoints me.. and in that instance, there is no "best deal" to keep me anymore.

· Hall Of Fame
1,518 Posts
If you want or have a DVR, most folks say that Dish's DVR's are better than Direct since Direct started building their own DVR's. I'm not surprised since Dish had a lot more problems when they started their DVR business. Having gone through this with Dish, I wouldn't want to be the beta tester on DVR's again - this goes for Direct and my local cable company. For what I subscribe to, Dish is a better value than Direct and always has been. Feel free to try and get a better deal from Dish, but there is a cost in the DVR's IMO - I'd rather pay a little more and get a great DVR, than one with a lot of problems.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
cherzra said:
Hi guys,

Dish is a wee bit cheaper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.