DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon the 800-Number appeared on Golf and the Shopping Channels informing customers that a Dish500 will be needed to continune to receive the channels.

I called and my FREE Dish500 upgrade is scheduled for June 10th between 8am-Noon.

I'll let everone know how it goes. They said I would have to give back my old dish. If they really want it they can have the one with the rusted bolts :) I asked and was told that all the switches would be included also. I hope they are smart enough to use a dual and keep my SW-21 instead of connecting 3 LNBs to an SW-64 since I have 61.5 also.

·
Icon
955 Posts
The D500 Upgrade Kit is packed with the 20" dish, 1 dual LNBF, and 2 SW21s. The idea is to keep the dual LNB form the old "Dish300" & use it w/the new duals & switches to feed 2 rcvrs from 119 & 110.

Since you have another dish @61.5 a SW-64 would be needed w/that arrangement but they're probably not going to put that in for free. So they will probably put a Twin on the D500 & cascade it w/SW-21s from the other dish, keeping both duals.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I was kinda disappointed with that when I got my Dish 500 2 years ago. I was hoping for a twin since I wanted the Dish300 for 61.5 but the installer used 2 duals w/ a Y bracket and took the dish and arm with him.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark, yes I meant twin. I have 2 receivers. One receiver has 61.5 & 119 with an SW-21. The other receiver is just connected to 61.5 because I haven't felt like going to get an SW-21 for it.

It has been a long time since I have dealt with an E* CSR. When I called I said that I was watching Shop At Home and the EPG said that I would need a Dish500 to continue to receive this channel. The CSR said we don't offer your locals and you don't need a Dish500. So I read exactly what was on the EPG for channel 224. After on hold for 10 minutes the CSR came back and said that I could get a free upgrade and then I was transfered to another department, where I was on hold of another 10 minutes, the second CSR scheduled an appointment (as if I couldn't install the thing myself) and said that my account had to be changed to make me eligible for a free upgrade. I thought this was weird, but I guess E* may be trying to discourage AT-50 subs from getting the free upgrade.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Why E* ever stoped making 18" dishes, I wish I knew.

·
Legend
107 Posts
The D500 Upgrade Kit is packed with the 20" dish, 1 dual LNBF, and 2 SW21s. The idea is to keep the dual LNB form the old "Dish300" & use it w/the new duals & switches to feed 2 rcvrs from 119 & 110.

I don't really understand all that stuff about the different types of switches (SW??). Assuming that I have the same Dish 500 install as above (I have two separate lines coming in although I only have one of them activated), would I need some kind of switch upgrade in order to use a 721 receiver? What would I need for HDTV?

Burt

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
and said that my account had to be changed to make me eligible for a free upgrade. I thought this was weird,
It must be an accounting thing as Dish always charges you full price for whatever and then gives you a credit back for the same amount. Just be sure and look at your next couple of statements to make sure they did everything right, it can really get confusing.

·
Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by brmann

I don't really understand all that stuff about the different types of switches (SW??). Assuming that I have the same Dish 500 install as above (I have two separate lines coming in although I only have one of them activated), would I need some kind of switch upgrade in order to use a 721 receiver? What would I need for HDTV?

Burt
If you have a D500 w/2 dual LNBs and you want a PVR 721 and HDTV you will need to have another dish put up aimed at 61.5 or 148 and a SW-64 switch installed. The 18" "Dish300" is all that's required but some posters here seem to think E* is out of them and 20" dishes are being used for the "wing" sats. Of course, this dish will need a dual LNB also and all 3 dual LNBs will be connected to the SW-64.

BTW, any 'ol 18" dish/dual LNB will work. If you or a friend happen to have any brand of DirecTV dish kicking around you can use it.

·
Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by bryan27
Mark, yes I meant twin. I have 2 receivers.

... the second CSR scheduled an appointment (as if I couldn't install the thing myself) and said that my account had to be changed to make me eligible for a free upgrade. I thought this was weird, but I guess E* may be trying to discourage AT-50 subs from getting the free upgrade.
You must mean dual LNBF. The TWIN only fits on the D500.

You might want to check your acct. The "Free" Dish500 Upgrade generally requires a 12mo commitment to T150 and CC AutoPay. If you refuse the CC AP, $24.95 is charged to you at the time of the upgrade. If you don't commit to T150 you are charged $99.95.
This is what the CSR was probably talking about when she said your acct had to be changed for a free upgrade.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got my free 500 upgrade today. Instead of using a twin so that I could have 119/110/61.5 they used the old LNB from the old dish to add to the 500 and completly disconnected 61.5 :( I did get to keep the old SW-21 and got two new ones for the 500 and I got to keep my old dish.

Is it possible to cascade one of the SW-21s from the 500 with the SW-21 that is still on my 61.5 dish so that I get all three slots on 1 TV or will only a 500 Twin allow the cascade?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,497 Posts
Only way to cascade is with a Twin, Quad, or SW44 (also a SW42 if you can find one, but it is officially an "unsupported" configuration.) You CANNOT cascade 2 SW21's. With what you have right now, A SW64 OR A QUAD OR A TWIN are your options for 119,110, and 61.5.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
What!?! They disconnected 61.5 and didn't hood it back up!?! Damn! And I seriously doubt that Wheeling WV has locals up on 61.5, so you won't be able to get another free upgrade to the SW-64, which is what you need. Brian, I would suggest that you call your installer back and ask him why you can no longer watch XX channel (on 61.5) that you used to watch all of the time with no problem. Ask him what he screwed up. If you don't get anywhere with him, call Dish and ask the same things. Maybe you'll be able to talk them into a free sw-64...

·
Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by bryan27
Well, I got my free 500 upgrade today. Instead of using a twin so that I could have 119/110/61.5 they used the old LNB from the old dish to add to the 500 and completly disconnected 61.5 :( I did get to keep the old SW-21 and got two new ones for the 500 and I got to keep my old dish.

Well, I hate to have to say it but this is exactly what I thought would probably happen.

Is it possible to cascade one of the SW-21s from the 500 with the SW-21 that is still on my 61.5 dish so that I get all three slots on 1 TV or will only a 500 Twin allow the cascade?

No, you can't cascade SW-21s. You need the SW-64 now. Or maybe you can make a deal w/a local dealer to take your 2 duals on the D500 in trade for a TWIN. That could be cascaded w/your SW-21s and the dual LNB on your 61.5 dish.

Good luck!

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark, I doubt I will get anywhere if I call E*. The installer was an E* employee from their Pittsburgh office. I found out today that if one calls one of the E* 800 numbers they send out their own employed installers. The installer said that if I wanted to hook up 61.5 that it would be $125 for an SW-64 :( I'm going to try to see if my dad will trade his twin for the two LNBs. In the meantime I have my 61.5 dish pointed at 101 for D* :D

E*'s install was bizare. First the installer said there was a tree in the way and I couldn't get 110. I said that I pointed at 110 occasionally with no problem. After I did a check switch, 110 was in the high 90's and 119 was in the 100's. He looked at his meter again and found out that his meter was going bad :rolleyes: The SW-21s weren't attached to the house. They were held together with plastic wire strips and were left hanging. I cut the plastic strip and attached the SW-21s to the house.

I did learn a lesson though. Don't call E* for an install. I should have called someone local first to see if they were doing the upgrades.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.