DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago we were watching the Disney Channel HD. The program was "The Haunted Mansion" starring Eddie Murphy.

The original aspect ratio for this movie is 2.35:1

However, the Disney channel HD broadcasted the full screen version. :mad:

Why would Disney choose the full screen version? They own the rights to the movie don't they? Any reason why they couldn't broadcast the 2.35:1 version on an HD channel? Am I missing something?

· AllStar
57 Posts
Agree with your sentiment. Very annoying. I think it was Toon Disney HD that broadcast "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" in 4:3 a few weeks back. Perhaps they didn't have the HD rights for that movie, as it was not a Disney production.

I can't understand why they wouldn't broadcast one of their own movies in OAR (or at least DVD-style widescreen-friendly 16:9). With the 4:3 cut, you're really missing a lot of "Haunted Mansion", what with all the stuff going on on the edges of the screen...

However, I don't think the Disney Channel(s) have really embraced HD just yet. Hannah Montana--probably their most popular show right now?--is only broadcast in 4:3, and looks terrible on the HD channel, in my opinion.

That being said, they stuff that they actually do broadcast in 16:9 HD--the "Halloweentown" movies, I think?--look pretty good.

· Godfather
291 Posts
sheltrk said:
However, I don't think the Disney Channel(s) have really embraced HD just yet.
I'd disagree with that statement. Disney Channel and Toon Disney have far more HD content than most of the other "HD" channels out there, especially for animated programs. And they had a lot of them in HD right from the time the channels first launched. Plus, those shows look absolutely fantastic. My kids watch a lot of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and My Friends Tigger & Pooh, and I'm always impressed by how nice they look in HD.

· AllStar
57 Posts
whitepelican said:
I'd disagree with that statement. Disney Channel and Toon Disney have far more HD content than most of the other "HD" channels out there, especially for animated programs. And they had a lot of them in HD right from the time the channels first launched. Plus, those shows look absolutely fantastic. My kids watch a lot of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and My Friends Tigger & Pooh, and I'm always impressed by how nice they look in HD.
Yeah, I'd say for animated programs Disney Channel HD is looking pretty good, at least by my eyes. American Dragon and Lilo & Stitch have looked great. However, what I don't know is whether they are actually showing them in true 16:9, or whether it is Stretch-o-Vision. Anybody know? I've found I often have a hard time telling when a cartoon has been stretched--especially if it is a linear stretch.

I still stand by my statement that the 4:3 Hannah Montana show looks terrible in HD, though. And I really don't understand why they would air a Disney-produced movie in 4:3, pillarboxed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.