DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
This new one is also slanted. If you are able to receive local into local service, you do not qualify for distant network service.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
Remember...

The Senate must pass the bill;
The House of Representatives must pass the same bill; and,
The President must sign it into law.

The House is out until early December. The injunction will take effect before this even has a chance to become law.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg Bimson said:
This new one is also slanted. If you are able to receive local into local service, you do not qualify for distant network service.
Actually you are partally right, you can't get them if the dma has all 4 networks, but if there is a market w/o all 4 big networks, then they can get the locals in their area, as well as the distant to cover the other networks. no offense greg, but IMO it looks to me that this is the way it should be. Let me guess you have dns and live in an LIL area don't ya???? TWO letters is the big complaint here. PQ!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
jhamps10 said:
Actually you are partally right, you can't get them if the dma has all 4 networks, but if there is a market w/o all 4 big networks, then they can get the locals in their area, as well as the distant to cover the other networks. no offense greg, but IMO it looks to me that this is the way it should be. Let me guess you have dns and live in an LIL area don't ya???? TWO letters is the big complaint here. PQ!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!!!!
Never had distant networks in my life.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
jhamps10 said:
It appears that the senate may have saved the Distant networks for E* AND given a wider range for SV stations too!!!! Story:
Can someone explain exactly HOW this widens the SV guidelines? I thought they could already provide SV neighboring locals?

I live in Harrison, AR with Springfield, MO locals. The county ten miles to the south resides in both Springfield and Little Rock DMAs. I would sure like to get Little Rock locals as well.

·
Super Moderator
53,153 Posts
Leahy Leads Bipartisan Effort To Protect Rural Consumers From Losing Satellite TV Service Options

Direct link to the announcement on the senator's website:
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200611/111606a.html

I don't see a bill number yet ... Always looking for the precise legal language! :)

·
Legend
175 Posts
James Long said:
Leahy Leads Bipartisan Effort To Protect Rural Consumers From Losing Satellite TV Service Options

Direct link to the announcement on the senator's website:
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200611/111606a.html

I don't see a bill number yet ... Always looking for the precise legal language! :)
As it was worded in the article it sounds very fair to those of us that don't have all of the major networks in our DMA.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
Dish's press release:

"Today, Senators Leahy, Allard, Inouye, Snowe, Rockefeller, Byrd, Salazar, Clinton, Roberts, Pryor, Enzi, and Ensign stood up for American consumers by introducing S. 4067, the 'Satellite Consumer Protection Act of 2006.'

EchoStar commends this tremendous bipartisan effort to enable innocent consumers to continue to receive distant network channels, particularly subscribers who live in rural areas and markets where there is no local broadcaster. Unfortunately, because of a court ruling that requires EchoStar to stop transmitting these signals by December 1, 2006 and the imminent adjournment of Congress, it appears that innocent consumers will lose their network signals before Congress can act on this important legislation."

Source: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68854&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=932396&highlight=

·
Legend
233 Posts
Much ado about almost nothing. Leave aside the fact that nobody has read the bill (if it exists) and that there is no practical way this gets done this year. Just reading the blurb:

1. No license for RV
2. No license for truckers
3. No change in SV (as now E* could offer, but they don't)
4. DNS with LIL requires substantial $ from Charlie to affiliate (not likely)
5. No grandfathers
6. It helps the unserved in that footdragging on LIL won't be an impediment for DNS. (Lafayette, IN; Presque Isle, ME, Parkersburg, WV, etc.)
7. It hurts everyone else in that footdragging on LIL won't be an impediment for DNS. 210 DMA's will be done by 2210....

It would help if everybody would consider what the reality (vs expectations) is. You are setting yourselves up for another disappointment.

·
Legend
233 Posts
Greg Bimson said:
However OTA and Contour B and ILLR and waivers and... are replaced by cold, hard cash. Not that Charlie would part with any.

·
Legend
233 Posts
ChoralScholar said:
Can someone explain exactly HOW this widens the SV guidelines? I thought they could already provide SV neighboring locals?

I live in Harrison, AR with Springfield, MO locals. The county ten miles to the south resides in both Springfield and Little Rock DMAs. I would sure like to get Little Rock locals as well.
It doesn't. Some people are going bonkers without the slightest bit of hard information. But if it makes them happy.....

I think the bigger story is how the Constitution was magically changed so that the Senate can do this all by itself.

·
Super Moderator
53,153 Posts
The text of S.4067 has not yet been received from GPO

Bills are generally sent to the Library of Congress from the Government Printing Office a day or two after they are introduced on the floor of the House or Senate. Delays can occur when there are a large number of bills to prepare or when a very large bill has to be printed.

http://thomas.loc.gov/ for S.4067​
It is probably best not to speculate about the exact legal language of the bill and exactly what is and isn't permitted until the bill itself can be read.

·
Super Moderator
53,153 Posts
BobS said:
I think the bigger story is how the Constitution was magically changed so that the Senate can do this all by itself.
Unless the Senate agreed to adjourn today, the house will be in session on Friday. They will all be back in December anyways ... too late to prevent a shutoff but still time to do some work before the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.