DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to throw this out there. Had the 622 for a little over three months and I don't think I've watched a recording that I didn't see some sort of hic-up. Mostly it's just a split second of "mosaics". Other times it's an audio/video drop out. Any thoughts on what could be the problem? BTW, this happens on HDMI and composite.:confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Does this happen on specific channels? Hard to say what the problem might be based on the information provided. Any additional information you could provide would help us to try and determine the root cause of the problems your expierencing.

i.e. if your seeing the split second of mosaics on a local HD channel that multicasts you might be seeing compression artifacts caused by not having enough bandwidth. I see this a lot during fast motion scenes from my NBC and CBS affiliates, which multicast. I don't see it from my FOX or ABC affiliates which do NOT multicast. I see it on OTA and Sat, though it's worse on Sat because it's re-encoded to MPEG4 which is just amplifying the problems.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As best I can remember, this isn't channel specific. I'll start to write down channels that I see this on. 99% of my viewing is recorded, and mostly the the locals. I can't receive OTA. Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Are they SD locals or HD locals? If it's SD it might be that local channels in SD just dont' look good on the output(s) your using and the TV you have. I've found varying results trying to watch SD TV on an HDTV. I've had a couple of bad expierences with off brand HDTVs (that I've ended up returning) because they do a horrible job at displaying SD content. Namely a Visio plasma and a offbrand LCD that my neighbor picked up at Costco. In both cases it didn't matter what output and settings you used SD looked like crap. SVIDEO however always supplied the best picture. I ended up settling on a Pioneer plasma and it does a pretty darn good job on SD channels, even on HDMI/Component from my 622. However, the old saying garbage in garbage out really applies. I see quite a difference in Dish SD channels, the worst being their transmissions of the Seattle local channels and the best being SD PPV.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Hmmm, ok, so HD Sat provided channels, via either component or HDMI to a Samsung DLP TV? That should look pretty good. The only thing I can think of would be if the quality of your market's HD channels being sent to Dish isn't up to snuff, i.e. the multipath thing I mentioned above. Do national HD channels from Dish look good? How does SD content look?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.