DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my R15 connected to a Mitsubishi TV with a composite connection. I am
having trouble with a distorted picture. The picture jumps around between what
looks like a letterbox picture (black bands on top and bottom) and a full screen
picture. When the letterbox picture appears, most of the time the top boundary
of the picture is wavy. I have tried all combinations of the R15 outputs and the TV
inputs, including S-video, with no luck. I am going to hook up another receiver to
the same TV and also take the R15 to another TV. Any other ideas?

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it's the TV. Finally got around to bringing in a receiver from another
room and left it hooked up until the distortion problems came back. As you cycle
through the TV inputs, it's even noticeable on the inputs that aren't connected.

Will probably investigate how much the TV repair might cost, but I'm leaning
toward breaking down and getting HD for that room. :)

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
4wheels said:
I have my R15 connected to a Mitsubishi TV with a composite connection. I am
having trouble with a distorted picture. The picture jumps around between what
looks like a letterbox picture (black bands on top and bottom) and a full screen
picture. When the letterbox picture appears, most of the time the top boundary
of the picture is wavy. I have tried all combinations of the R15 outputs and the TV
inputs, including S-video, with no luck. I am going to hook up another receiver to
the same TV and also take the R15 to another TV. Any other ideas?
Try the channel 3/4 RF output using the TV's own tuner (if it has an NTSC tuner).

Try running the output of the R15 through a VCR or other device. Try making a VCR recording of a show on the R15 and see if playback of the recording is also distorted.

This is a case of "substitute and eliminate" troubleshooting. If the video output of the R15 is the problem, you will probably have to arrange for a replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.