DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't really aware of it until last evening, but there must have been a change in the HR-20 software that allows you to switch between programs and save your place in each program.

I was watching the G4 channel last night, and knew I wouldn't make it through to the end, so I hit the "record" button. When a commercial break came up, I pressed pause and then tuned to another channel. When the commercial break for that other channel came up I hit pause (as in pause the live buffer) and then hit previous to return to G4.

The G4 recording was right at the position I left it. When another commercial break came up on the G4 program, I hit the previous button and the other channel buffer was paused right where I left it! Neat!

This will come in handy for the upcoming football season......

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
DeanS said:
I wasn't really aware of it until last evening, but there must have been a change in the HR-20 software that allows you to switch between programs and save your place in each program.

I was watching the G4 channel last night, and knew I wouldn't make it through to the end, so I hit the "record" button. When a commercial break came up, I pressed pause and then tuned to another channel. When the commercial break for that other channel came up I hit pause (as in pause the live buffer) and then hit previous to return to G4.

The G4 recording was right at the position I left it. When another commercial break came up on the G4 program, I hit the previous button and the other channel buffer was paused right where I left it! Neat!

This will come in handy for the upcoming football season......
It has been this way for quite some time. I use it frequently.

· Legend
106 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think you just discovered the DLB "work-around". True DLB would allow you to swap between shows without having to record one of them.

I'm not one of those who have DLB at the top of their wish list, so I may be wrong.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
mikep554 said:
I'm not sure, but I think you just discovered the DLB "work-around". True DLB would allow you to swap between shows without having to record one of them.
The procedure described in the first post is similar to the DLB workaround, and you're right, with true DLB, there would be no need to record.

Here's the full DLB workaround, which permits simply hitting PREV to toggle between a live buffer and a recording:

• Tune to a channel - hit record.
  • Tune to another channel - hit pause.
  • Hit LIST - play the program being recorded.
  • Hit PREV to go to live TV - it will resume where it was paused.
  • Hit PAUSE to keep your place in the live buffer, and hit PREV to go back to the program being recorded.
  • Use PREV to toggle between the recording and live TV.
This works well for keeping on top of two programs at the same time, retaining the 90 minute buffer on the live channel, and keeping the other tuner busy recording. This wouldn't have been possible if DIRECTV didn't retain the pause-position in the live buffer when a program was played from the playlist, but we have it now, and although it's not True DLB, it's handy.

· Godfather
341 Posts
Drew: Though similar to the DLB Workaround you described, Dean's description of what he did actually seems a lot simpler (fewer commands). If what he desribes has the same effect as the official workaround, why wouldn't it be at least as good, or even better?

I ask only because simpler really is better for non-technos like myself.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
scrybigtv said:
Drew: Though similar to the DLB Workaround you described, Dean's description of what he did actually seems a lot simpler (fewer commands). If what he desribes has the same effect as the official workaround, why wouldn't it be at least as good, or even better?

I ask only because simpler really is better for non-technos like myself.
It depends on what you're looking for with channel surfing ...

If you want to keep the buffer on one channel and surf another and don't care about returning to the same point in the buffer, then the OP's approach is perfect: Hit RECORD on one channel, tune away to any other number of channels. Punch in the number for the channel that is currently recording and the buffer is still there.

With the DLB Workaround, you can truly watch two programs at the same time, essentially in real-time, by recording one, pausing the live buffer, and using PREV to toggle between them. It actually is a simple enough process to toggle between two programs (PAUSE > PREV, and repeat) but it does take just a couple of steps to set it up (RECORD > tune > PAUSE > play from LIST) then use PAUSE / PREV to toggle.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Drew2k said:
It depends on what you're looking for with channel surfing ...

If you want to keep the buffer on one channel and surf another and don't care about returning to the same point in the buffer, then the OP's approach is perfect: Hit RECORD on one channel, tune away to any other number of channels. Punch in the number for the channel that is currently recording and the buffer is still there.

With the DLB Workaround, you can truly watch two programs at the same time, essentially in real-time, by recording one, pausing the live buffer, and using PREV to toggle between them. It actually is a simple enough process to toggle between two programs (PAUSE > PREV, and repeat) but it does take just a couple of steps to set it up (RECORD > tune > PAUSE > play from LIST) then use PAUSE / PREV to toggle.
Looking at his post, though, Drew.........

He says he hit pause, changed channels, and when a commercial came up, hit pause again and used PREV to return to his original channel, which retained it's pause position. At the next commercial break on that channel, he hit PREV to return to channel number 2, and it also retained the pause position.

If that's the case, he actually WAS watching two programs live, with the buffers maintaining the pause point, without having to start the second recording from the playlist..... Which would seem to indicate he was using the DLB Workaround with a few steps taken out. It's still not really DLB, but it's a little baby step closer if you can watch both tuners without having to start the second from the playlist..

· Registered
14,213 Posts
I did miss that Sharkie! This is indeed a find! Up until this report, if you tuned away from a channel, even while recording it and even if you paused it, you would return to the channel at the live position.

I just tried this and it's working as the OP describes. :)

So the only reason to use the DLB workaround is if you want to keep TWO buffers active and pause and toggle between both .. otherwise, record one, pause it, surf the other tuner, and return at will.

· AllStar
95 Posts
Drew2k said:
I did miss that Sharkie! This is indeed a find! Up until this report, if you tuned away from a channel, even while recording it and even if you paused it, you would return to the channel at the live position.

I just tried this and it's working as the OP describes. :)

So the only reason to use the DLB workaround is if you want to keep TWO buffers active and pause and toggle between both .. otherwise, record one, pause it, surf the other tuner, and return at will.
Has this been tried on a HR21? I have a HR20 however I've been offered HR21s to "replace" my HR10s. Up until now the workaround was too cumbersome. This new workaround is much better and close to DLB. If it works on the HR21 I might go ahead and get one. The chances of me getting another HR20 are slim to none so if anyone has tried this on a HR21 please chime in.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
We already have a thread for DLB discussion... it would be nice if some of this productive talk moved over there :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.