DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Cool Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. long time DTV subscriber; new to the forum.

appologies in advance if this is not the appropriate forum to ask, or if the answer is already present elsewhere.

my wife and I are planning to take up RVing soon, which brings up the question of major networks access. my questions are:

1. is this available at all anymore, given recent changes to the law and the apparent (rumored) mis-behavior of Dish?

2. is it true that this option is not available to Dish subscribers at all, but may be (for some reason) available to DTV subscribers (even if difficult)?

3. Can DNS service be extended to one receiver (the one we would put in the RV) without extending DNS to the other receiver(s) in the house?

4. how likely is it that RV usage with less than 1/2 time in the RV will be granted DNS?

5. Does anyone here take HD-DVR with them in the RV and if so how succesful are you in aiming the dish?

6. in the case where DNS is not granted, can I take my HR-21 with the OTA AMD-21 box and receive OTA signals where available? will this only require a re-setup of the system by putting in the appropriate local zip code?

many thanks

· Icon
822 Posts
Lots of questions. Well, DNS is still available on both DBS providers. There is no minimum usage requirment that I'm aware of, just proof of ownership. I believe the RV account must be kept seperate from the home account, not 100% sure though. You could cetainly take your HD DVR, not sure how the HardDrv would hold up on the bumpy ride and sure you could use an OTA antennae as well. Whether you'd get guide information from the various locals you pick up? I'm leaning towards no.

Dish doesnt offer DNS themselves as they are not allowed, however they do have a 'sub-contractor' that is leasing space on their 119 oribtal slot to provide DNS to customers. The nice thing about that is you do NOT need to sub to DISH net programming. All you need is the DISHnet dish and a receiver an the DNS sub is seperate and thru a different company: allamericandirect.com

· Registered
1,210 Posts
dlleno said:

appologies in advance if this is not the appropriate forum to ask, or if the answer is already present elsewhere.

my wife and I are planning to take up RVing soon, which brings up the question of major networks access. my questions are:

1. is this available at all anymore, given recent changes to the law and the apparent (rumored) mis-behavior of Dish?
Yes, it is available.

dlleno said:
2. is it true that this option is not available to Dish subscribers at all, but may be (for some reason) available to DTV subscribers (even if difficult)?
Don't know about Dish, but yes, it is available on DIRECTV.
dlleno said:
3. Can DNS service be extended to one receiver (the one we would put in the RV) without extending DNS to the other receiver(s) in the house?
No, it can't be just one receiver on an account. You either have to do DNS for the whole account or get a separate account for the RV. When you get DNS for an RV it turns off any locals you have because you wouldn't be eligible for them anymore.

dlleno said:
4. how likely is it that RV usage with less than 1/2 time in the RV will be granted DNS?
You just have to prove you have an RV to get DNS...time in it does not need to be divulged. However, what you can do if you are part time in the RV is switch back and forth every time you go in the RV.

dlleno said:
5. Does anyone here take HD-DVR with them in the RV and if so how succesful are you in aiming the dish?
I have 2 HD-DVRs in my RV. I have no problem setting up the dish. If you can set up any other DIRECTV dish you can set up the HD dish.

dlleno said:
6. in the case where DNS is not granted, can I take my HR-21 with the OTA AMD-21 box and receive OTA signals where available? will this only require a re-setup of the system by putting in the appropriate local zip code?
Yes, you can use the HR21 with AM21 to get OTA locals anywhere. You just need to run antenna setup and put in the local zip.

dlleno said:
many thanks
You are welcome.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
BTW, another option is to call DIRECTV every time you go to another location and give them the address. They will the give you the locals for that area. Or, if you are currently from the LA area, you are already good to go with the DNS channels and need to do nothing to have the big 4 networks wherever you go.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
66stang351 said:
BTW, another option is to call DIRECTV every time you go to another location and give them the address. They will the give you the locals for that area. Or, if you are currently from the LA area, you are already good to go with the DNS channels and need to do nothing to have the big 4 networks wherever you go.
NO! directv smashes people for doing that now. (referring to changing address to where you are each location)

· Icon
1,306 Posts
shadough said:
There is no minimum usage requirment that I'm aware of, just proof of ownership.
NO. Proof of licensing (copy of state tags, i.e, the paperwork you get with the metallic stick-ons, or the actual plates). It must, in other words, be 'street legal'.

Been There, Done That.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
To summarize just a bit - you need a separate account for the RV from your home account. It is not just a receiver added to your home account. You can suspend either/both accounts up to 6 months per year (I think), so if you want to reduce cost of having 2 accounts, simply suspend the one you are not using (the home account while you are on the road, and the RV account when you are home).

Carl

· Banned
4,253 Posts
welcome to the Forum :welcome_s

· Cool Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone,

proof of ownership and licensing; good advice. There must be a way for the DBS provider, when they submit the request for DNS, to include such information in order to increase the chance of success.

all receivers in the account must all be DNS: interesting. I guess what his means is that if I have three receivers and I'm approved, I will no longer receive local channels. The local affiliates are not likely to approve that, even though I will still use and favor the local channels via OTA with my AM21 (I'm assuming that even though DNS prevents locals from arriving via Sat, that my AM 21 will still work). Still, I doubt that those who want to protect their advertizing revenue will approve a three-receiver conversion to DNS when only one is used in the RV. I guess that means you have to have a separate RV account, as some have already pointed out.

separate RV accounts and suspending one vs the other: hmm that would work unless you want to store up a bunch of recordings on the RV receiver before you hit the road! and for frequent trips I it could get tedious to manage both accounts and keep switching them around. I guess its just a matter of what's important and how much you're willing to pay. Presently, i'm favoring the technique of forgetting about DNS and separate accounts. I think I'll just use OTA/AM21 when locals are available at the campground.

AM21 with new zip code w/o informing DTV: thanks for the confirmation that this works. seems like a good alternative to separate acounts, DNS and all that complexity. and if you camp in a remote location where local TV stations are not available - -well I guess the reason you are there is becasue you want to be remote and TV is no longer important!

setting up the HD dish: The HD set up appears much more difficult than the SD round dish. pls tell me what HD dish you are using (5 lmb?) and the signal strength equipment you are using for the set-up.

thanks again everyone this is a most informative board!

· Registered
1,210 Posts
dlleno said:
Thanks everyone,

proof of ownership and licensing; good advice. There must be a way for the DBS provider, when they submit the request for DNS, to include such information in order to increase the chance of success.
They don't have to submit a request. You prove to DIRECTV that you are in an RV and they give it to you.

dlleno said:
all receivers in the account must all be DNS: interesting. I guess what his means is that if I have three receivers and I'm approved, I will no longer receive local channels. The local affiliates are not likely to approve that, even though I will still use and favor the local channels via OTA with my AM21 (I'm assuming that even though DNS prevents locals from arriving via Sat, that my AM 21 will still work). Still, I doubt that those who want to protect their advertizing revenue will approve a three-receiver conversion to DNS when only one is used in the RV. I guess that means you have to have a separate RV account, as some have already pointed out.
Again, the local station have no recourse here. If you state to DIRECTV that you are in an RV then they will turn off your locals and you can buy the DNS channels.

dlleno said:
separate RV accounts and suspending one vs the other: hmm that would work unless you want to store up a bunch of recordings on the RV receiver before you hit the road! and for frequent trips I it could get tedious to manage both accounts and keep switching them around. I guess its just a matter of what's important and how much you're willing to pay. Presently, i'm favoring the technique of forgetting about DNS and separate accounts. I think I'll just use OTA/AM21 when locals are available at the campground.
I believe DIRECTV has rules on how many times per year and for what lengths of time you can suspend an account now. Might make this unfeasable.

dlleno said:
AM21 with new zip code w/o informing DTV: thanks for the confirmation that this works. seems like a good alternative to separate acounts, DNS and all that complexity. and if you camp in a remote location where local TV stations are not available - -well I guess the reason you are there is becasue you want to be remote and TV is no longer important!
Yes, this works great.
dlleno said:
setting up the HD dish: The HD set up appears much more difficult than the SD round dish. pls tell me what HD dish you are using (5 lmb?) and the signal strength equipment you are using for the set-up.
For me setting up the SWlimline 5LNB dish is no harder than the old single LNB dish. You aim it the same direction and just add the tilt in. Once you get it roughly aimed the fine tune screws make it very easy to dial it in to a very good signal. I have aimed mine just using the signal meter on my receivers, but I also have an ACCUTRAC 22 pro that I use.
dlleno said:
thanks again everyone this is a most informative board!
We are here to help.

· Godfather
513 Posts
dlleno said:

many thanks
you need an rv declaration and affidavit form, you fill out the form and send it back in with a copy of your dl and rv registration,
then after the form is received your dns' are turned on for a monthly fee, this is slightly different than the regular dns process...the mobile dns service used to be 9.00 per month but it has increased slighty and i'm sorry that I don't remember how much, but I think it's about 14.00 now. Also if i remember correctly, you have to fill out your receiver and access card #'s of the receivers that are in the rv and those are the only receivers that would be authorized for the mobile dns.

· Cool Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
66stang351 said:
They don't have to submit a request. You prove to DIRECTV that you are in an RV and they give it to you.

Again, the local station have no recourse here. If you state to DIRECTV that you are in an RV then they will turn off your locals and you can buy the DNS channels.
DTV tells me the laws in this regard have changed and all they can do now is submit the waiver form to the local affiliates for approval. I had three CSRs at DTV tell me that its all up to the waiver process. they (DTV) tell me that the new FCC rules give the authority to the local affiliates and if the local affiliates approve then DTV can make the switch. The way DTV explained it to me was that it is now illegal for DTV to do this without permission from the stations affected by the potential market exposure loss (you quit watching local commercials).

So is any of the above true?

I decided to test this while I was in the process of whining at DTV for lack of HD locals. DTV said well we can submit a waiver request form and if approved then we can give you DNS so you can watch major networks in HD. So I had them start the waiver process which was denied. I actually called one of the local affiliates and they said yes we get these all the time but sorry boo hoo we need to proect our revenue so no we won't approve this. of course, this had nothing to do with an RV so the process, laws, and all of that may be different.

· Icon
596 Posts
DishCSR said:
you need an rv declaration and affidavit form, you fill out the form and send it back in with a copy of your dl and rv registration,
then after the form is received your dns' are turned on for a monthly fee, this is slightly different than the regular dns process...the mobile dns service used to be 9.00 per month but it has increased slighty and i'm sorry that I don't remember how much, but I think it's about 14.00 now. Also if i remember correctly, you have to fill out your receiver and access card #'s of the receivers that are in the rv and those are the only receivers that would be authorized for the mobile dns.
So you can have RV receivers and not have to get a seperate account? That would rock.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
dlleno said:
DTV tells me the laws in this regard have changed and all they can do now is submit the waiver form to the local affiliates for approval. I had three CSRs at DTV tell me that its all up to the waiver process. they (DTV) tell me that the new FCC rules give the authority to the local affiliates and if the local affiliates approve then DTV can make the switch. The way DTV explained it to me was that it is now illegal for DTV to do this without permission from the stations affected by the potential market exposure loss (you quit watching local commercials).

So is any of the above true?
It isn't true, because if you are in an RV you are not eligible for local stations. See quote below from DIRECTV website.
Click the link below then select Local/Network Channel Availability from the drop down list. The last question in the list.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/faqPage.jsp?assetId=3490041

DIRECTV FAQ said:
Do I need waivers if I want DNS in my RV?
Federal legislation allows the delivery of DNS service to RVs and commercial trucks without the need for waivers, if the satellite dish is permanently attached to the vehicle. Customers must provide a copy of their vehicle registration and a Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent in order to qualify for this service. Because of the way that 'RV' is defined under this law, boats do not qualify for this exception. Other limitations may also apply. If you would like more information on Mobile DNS service, click here.

Directv > Programming > Local/Network Channel Availability
The click here link in the FAQ takes you to the link below.

http://www.directv.com/DNS/DNS Mobile Revised Letter.pdf

· Godfather
513 Posts
Juppers said:
So you can have RV receivers and not have to get a seperate account? That would rock.
well the way it used to be done, is that if you own all your receivers you can have one account, (for multiple home use)if any of the receivers on the account are leased , then you must open a seperate account . but in the case of an rv, I believe you must have a seperate account setup, in order to qualify for the rv distant network mobile package. The trick is to get a csr with a clue , since this info is very very sparse to them.

· Mentor
35 Posts
Why would anyone even bother to tell DTV or Dish that they are using a home/mirrored receiver there motor home part time. They have no way of knowing anyways unless you tell them.
I only use my RV a for a 0ne or two week vacation plus some weekend outings each year. I have always just taken my spare home SD receiver with me. Maybe If I wanted to get HD service this would be different since I just point my RV ant to 101 and get my locals there.
In fact I just recently switched my home TV service over to FIOS and just keep one DTV receiver active just for my RV use now.:rolleyes:

· Registered
1,210 Posts
davefred99 said:
Why would anyone even bother to tell DTV or Dish that they are using a home/mirrored receiver there motor home part time. They have no way of knowing anyways unless you tell them.
I only use my RV a for a 0ne or two week vacation plus some weekend outings each year. I have always just taken my spare home SD receiver with me. Maybe If I wanted to get HD service this would be different since I just point my RV ant to 101 and get my locals there.
In fact I just recently switched my home TV service over to FIOS and just keep one DTV receiver active just for my RV use now.:rolleyes:
It depends on your location. If you live in the LA or New York DMAs you will get some of your locals...the DNS ones...no matter what. If you live anywhere else the locals are all spot beamed so if you go to far from home you no longer are able to receive the signal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.