DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local CBS channel KZTV does not have HD and most likely will not for the forseeable future, especially now that the station is in the middle of being sold. D* carries their SD signal, but I'd really like HD programming, especially for sports.

I have requested HD DNS service but was denied by the station. Am I out of luck, or is there anything else I can do?

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Submit for it again from the D* site yourself and make sure to list a good reason why you want it.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
kandor said:
I submitted it from the D* form twice, the most recent 40 days ago. I was hoping that there was another alternative.
If they do not accept or decline after 30 days D* can automatically turn them on.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
kandor said:
I submitted it from the D* form twice, the most recent 40 days ago. I was hoping that there was another alternative.
Unfortunately the fact your local station does not broadcast in HD is not a valid reason for a waiver. The FCC rules are designed to make sure you can get reception from the network stations, there is no entitlement to an HD signal.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
texasbrit said:
Unfortunately the fact your local station does not broadcast in HD is not a valid reason for a waiver. The FCC rules are designed to make sure you can get reception from the network stations, there is no entitlement to an HD signal.
Dang. I was hoping for a work around. Thanks for the info.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
texasbrit said:
You dont have to have a valid reason to submitt for a waiver. I live in an area that is said to be a grade A signal and I have had 4 of the 6 locals approved anyways which includes NBC, ABC, PBS, and CW. I only need CBS and FOX to get them all from DNS feeds.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joshjr said:
You dont have to have a valid reason to submitt for a waiver. I live in an area that is said to be a grade A signal and I have had 4 of the 6 locals approved anyways which includes NBC, ABC, PBS, and CW. I only need CBS and FOX to get them all from DNS feeds.
But you still have to get the waiver approved by the affiliate, don't you? Or did you find a way to get the DNS without it?

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Nope I had to submitt waivers for all of them. Already had 4 approved in a area that most would say it should never happen. Thats what I am telling you. Dont give up. In most cases a DMA with a grade A signal to you even if you dont get locals from D* would not grant a waiver for any reason. I am telling you that in spite all of that I got 4 approved already. Now granted I got them all approved in SD I am not complaining because its locals and I need them.

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Keep pestering the affiliate with phone calls, emails and a few letters. Demand an answer as to why they don't broadcast in HD. Maybe a letter to the editor would get a response. Get your neighbors asking the question of them.

· Godfather
430 Posts
kandor said:
Dang. I was hoping for a work around. Thanks for the info.
However there is a rule that they broadcast a digital ATSC signal by the shut off date. That signal may just be 480i (SD) but most broadcaster after going threw the hassle of putting up a digital signal go HD.

IMHO the big fight that will happened in the coming years is if a digital sub channel only station can get protection. Meaning a local affiliate is a ABC station and broadcasts that station in HD, but then turns around and wins the rights for CBS in that market. You would expect them to build their own tower and broadcast that channel but now many in smaller markets will just put it on a sub channel of their ABC station. Does this station warrant protection from outside CBS stations from being brought in from cable and sat casters? IMHO no!

· Registered
5,674 Posts
whole waiver process needs revamping, it was designed before time shifting. I don't watch many commercials so why does it matter which station I watch.
maybe I like New York news better than Maine news, why can't I watch it?

· Registered
4,296 Posts
David MacLeod said:
whole waiver process needs revamping, it was designed before time shifting. I don't watch many commercials so why does it matter which station I watch.
maybe I like New York news better than Maine news, why can't I watch it?
The reason that the NAB and the politicians will give you is to protect the local affiliates and keep them from going out of business. To me that smacks of protection for whale oil lamp fuel manufacturers when the electric light bulb came along.

In a perfect world, we would be able to buy any local affiliates we wanted, but probably not practical to expect DirecTV to broadcast all the local channels nationally. For me it would be enough if we were allowed to select the National feeds of the networks in addition to our local feeds.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,609 Posts
The problem with all of the "I don't watch commercials" arguments is that the background issue is emergency services break-ins. Imagine if they had a tsunami warning for the Florida Keys and everyone was watching the "local" NYC feeds.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
LarryFlowers said:
The reason that the NAB and the politicians will give you is to protect the local affiliates and keep them from going out of business. To me that smacks of protection for whale oil lamp fuel manufacturers when the electric light bulb came along.
Trouble is, the networks would go out of business, too, because their outlet for programming is local stations.

That really wouldn't bother me since I have no interest in series TV or news. NFL and other sporting events would be picked up by pay networks so we'd still get them, but people who watch network news, comedies, dramas, etc. might not be too happy.

· Godfather
475 Posts
paulman182 said:
Trouble is, the networks would go out of business, too, because their outlet for programming is local stations.
What that shows is that the current distribution model is antiquated and its time for a change.

Unfortunately, what I see, with the popularity of Internet/iTunes delivery systems and the clamoring "a la carte" for is everything worth watching going to a PPV-type system. In this scenario, you would pay per-episode (or maybe a subscription for a series) for everything.

· Godfather
385 Posts
Brian Hanasky said:
I submit a HD DNS waiver for my CBS station from the Directv website every couple of days (as soon as the previous one gets denied).

I figure that it worked for Andy Dufrense in Shawshank so mabye nagging them to death will work for me. I have no other option for CBS HD at this time.
Do you call D*each time? I am in the same boat. They WILL NOT grant any waivers for anything as far as I can tell. I might give your method a shot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.