DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I ask is that we would like to switch from DirecTV to Dish Network but are less likely to do so if the cable would need to be replaced. (It took a lot of work to get it installed and, as tenants, we are responsible for damage to the unit.) Tried asking Dish Network but couldn't get a straight answer. Any insight would be appreciated!

910 Posts
We use RG-6 coax for our signal, which handles the frequency needed for all the channles. DTV should use the same grade. On the cable itself, you should see which grade it is - either RG-59, RG-6, or RG-11. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks

DBinSJ said:
The reason I ask is that we would like to switch from DirecTV to Dish Network but are less likely to do so if the cable would need to be replaced. (It took a lot of work to get it installed and, as tenants, we are responsible for damage to the unit.) Tried asking Dish Network but couldn't get a straight answer. Any insight would be appreciated!

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
DBinSJ said:
Directv has a higher standard than DISH so it should be usable if it was to Directv standards. Directv requires RG-6 with a solid copper center conducter DISH allows RG-6 with a copper clad steel center conducter. Both will carry the sames frequencies but solid copper costs more than steel.

You will also find if a brand/model# of cable is approved for Directv it won't be approved for DISH even though they meet the same specs.:):)

· Legend
128 Posts
DBinSJ said:
We just switched from Direct to Dish in July and Dish used the existing cable from Direct.

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
Should it be pulled? No but there have been reports in the past where if the "DIRECTV" brand cables were there a tech was required to remove it. It wouldn't make sense as it's an added expense and more than likely a dealer issue.

· Legend
183 Posts
I work installing both Dish and Directv. I now work for a retailer. When I was working as a contractor for Directv they required me to use only the approved cable for Directv. Later when I was working for Dish they would not allow me to use the cable approved by Directv. I had to run new cable. If either company did an inspection and found I used the other cable I got in trouble. You see the dilemma. It isn't due to the cable not being technically able to be used, it was a shop mandate.

Now I am with a retailer. I can use either cable as long as it is in good condition. I use Directv branded cable for Dish installs every day. I use cable that the Dish installer put on years back for todays Directv install. It really will depend on the local install shop and the managers requirements.

It is your house, not the managers house. My customers that have ordered from the retailer love that I can use the existing cable. I inspect it and will replace it if in bad condition. That is pretty rare! I will put on new fittings if the old ones are in need of it. Usually they are not in need of it. If you want to really get an answer call a local authorized retailer and ask them. Our shop does not have a contractor but I am an employee of the shop and I think it works out well for everyone. Especially for the customer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.