DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if DirecTV provides feeds from the DT subchannels. My brother-in-law lives in suburban Austin and gets the HD/DT signals OTA. He says that the subchannels (like a weather radar) are really handy. I live too far out to get the DT/HD's OTA. Am I just outta luck?
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
The feeds are different in every market so I can't answer you for definite. I don't think anyone gets subchannels, though. I don't get them in LA. I get ABC,NBC,FOX,CBS, and "the CW" on HD, all the primary feeds (not the subchannels).
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
DirecTV does not broadcast the "subchannels" via the SAT feed.

They only send the primary channel.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
247 Posts
Im in L.A. I did manage to view a couple of the sub channels but it was weeks ago. One was the channel 4 KNBC NEWS RAW (4-4) I get a black screen now. I can't remember the other channel.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
506PIR said:
Im in L.A. I did manage to view a couple of the sub channels but it was weeks ago. One was the channel 4 KNBC NEWS RAW (4-4) I get a black screen now. I can't remember the other channel.
Are you sure you're referring to the HR20? It sounds more like you're talking about the HR10 or H20.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
260 Posts
No, we do not get them nor do we get the KXAN-36 HD channel because of Lin Television.

How far away do you live? You might look into a long range antenna to pick those up. I am in South Austin about 25 miles from the antenna farm off of 360 and the signals are great but I know there are some antennas that have a much longer range than that.

Try antennaweb.org to see what would work for you.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bluedogok said:
No, we do not get them nor do we get the KXAN-36 HD channel because of Lin Television.

How far away do you live? You might look into a long range antenna to pick those up. I am in South Austin about 25 miles from the antenna farm off of 360 and the signals are great but I know there are some antennas that have a much longer range than that.

Try antennaweb.org to see what would work for you.
We're about sixty miles east of Austin. According to antennaweb, I am just out of range of the Austin transmitters. I might be able to receive them, but I would hate to go to all that trouble and expense only to find that I can't get them or they are unreliable.

Do you think D* will eventually distribute the subchannels? What sorts of things can be found? I haven't been to my sister's since they got their HDTV, so I have no experience with this. I am happy with the HR10 that I have, but would sacrifice it to get the Austin locals, if necessary. If I don't get subchannels, am I missing anything really great?

Mods: Sorry if this was originally in the wrong forum.
 

·
Éminence grise
Joined
·
8,473 Posts
Apparently some of the stations which haven't signed retransmission agreements for HD are holding out to have their subchannels carried, so it may happen some time in the future.

The subchannel content varies quite a bit. In Seattle, the NBC station has a full-time weather subchannel, CBS rebroadcasts their local news or shows live remote camera pictures of the airport and the MyNetwork station has "TheTube" music videos on a subchannel. The PBS station has their SD broadcast on the main channel with HD and PBS Create on subchannels.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
260 Posts
I know that KVUE-24 and KXAN-36/KNVA-54 (radar and NOAA weather radio) have a weather subchannel and there is the KLRU PBS-HD channel and an alternate part time PBS channel on OTA that is not on D*. That is all of the alternates that I receive on OTA. The only things that i watch on OTA is the HD feed of 36 or to catch a quick look at the weather, otherwise I am always watching through the HR20.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bluedogok said:
I know that KVUE-24 and KXAN-36/KNVA-54 (radar and NOAA weather radio) have a weather subchannel and there is the KLRU PBS-HD channel and an alternate part time PBS channel on OTA that is not on D*. That is all of the alternates that I receive on OTA. The only things that i watch on OTA is the HD feed of 36 or to catch a quick look at the weather, otherwise I am always watching through the HR20.
Thanks. That helps.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top