DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for Directv, and there are no locals here, and no local NBC affiliate broadcasting OTA. So, I will need to get a distance NBC station.

What is the process for doing this? I haven't been able to find any information on it. Do I go through Directv? Through NBC?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
Ask DIRECTV to go through the waiver process on your behalf. Florida can be difficult due to the lack of topographic features that would impede signals from far away.

· Legend
151 Posts
I'm in Key Largo and they did it all through Directv. My local HD satellite TV is really bad so I watch NY Conus. Regis and Kelly makes Kelly look fat because they stretch it to fill the screen. It really is bad. The video quality is terrible too. Channel 7 HD in Miami is unwatchable. Regis looks like he is dead. You can hardly see his eyes. I think it is Miami sending bad signals trying to save money because NY looks good. Both are SD transmitted in HD but the quality difference is night and day.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
arxaw said:
First, enter your address here, to see if you qualify for any HD networks. If so, call DirecTV and ask to speak to the HD DNS folks. Tell them which networks the site shows you qualify for and that you'd like to add them to your account.
Some CSRs may not understand what DNS means, but the phrase Distant Network Service should help get you pointed in the right direction .. Remember, while some people may qualify, in general most people will not qualify for Distant Network Service.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
in some cases Directv already has a waiver on file for an area for some or all stations, so you will want to call and ask for the Distant Network Waivers group. If a waiver is not already granted, Directv can send out a request on your behalf to the affected stations. The process can take from 30 to 45 days, and you are notified of the results either approval or denial.

· AllStar
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
curt8403 said:
in some cases Directv already has a waiver on file for an area for some or all stations, so you will want to call and ask for the Distant Network Waivers group. If a waiver is not already granted, Directv can send out a request on your behalf to the affected stations. The process can take from 30 to 45 days, and you are notified of the results either approval or denial.
This is exactly what happened.

My install is in a few days, so I called and told the guy I should be able to get a distant NBC. I asked how long it would take since the Olympics and Sunday Night Football are coming up, and he said it would be up as soon as I activate my service, as they already have a waiver for my area.

Nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.