Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings !

Previously, I had a 3LNB dish with the multiswitch that was mounted on the back of the dish. I ran four (4) wires from the outputs of that switch to each room via the builders wiring.

I now have an HR20 and a AT9 (5LNB dish). The installer said there is NO switch. As far as I can see, there are four wires running directly from the dish to each of the outlets. He reused the old runs from the previous dish.

I want to take one of the unused feeds and put a switch on it so I can hook-up my Sat-T60 with both tuners active.

So, two questions come to mind...
1) Do I have a switch now someplace on the AT9 ?
2) What kind of switch do I need to "split" one incoming line to run two SAT inputs on the SAT-T60 ?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
jdwatson said:
Greetings !

Previously, I had a 3LNB dish with the multiswitch that was mounted on the back of the dish. I ran four (4) wires from the outputs of that switch to each room via the builders wiring.

I now have an HR20 and a AT9 (5LNB dish). The installer said there is NO switch. As far as I can see, there are four wires running directly from the dish to each of the outlets. He reused the old runs from the previous dish.

I want to take one of the unused feeds and put a switch on it so I can hook-up my Sat-T60 with both tuners active.

So, two questions come to mind...
1) Do I have a switch now someplace on the AT9 ?
2) What kind of switch do I need to "split" one incoming line to run two SAT inputs on the SAT-T60 ?
If you only have 2 total dual tuners needed in your home (ie 4 total cables), you don't need a switch. The AT-9 has 1 built in. If you have more, you need a switch. The WB68 from Zinwell is the D* standard. In my case, I only require the 4 cables because I have an HR-20 and a DirecTivo. However, because I get my locals from another dish, I needed the switch for a total of 6 inputs, then 4 outputs.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I know very little about this stuff, so my apologies upfront. Can I take one of the outputs from the builtin switch AT9 and stick another switch, like the WB68 from Zinwell, to split it to other receivers or even two inputs on the same receiver ?

Let me try to explain as best I can... I have 2 of the 4 outputs running to my family room where the HR20 is located. The third output is located upstairs, the fourth output is in the master bedroom. I would like to use the SAT-T60 upstairs with both tuners hooked up, but there is only one wire running to that room and it's on the opposite end of the house away from the AT9. I was wonder if it was possible or even advisable to put a switch on the wire upstairs so the SAT-T60 could have signal to both tuners.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The WB68 requires all 4 outputs from the dish to work correctly, so you're out of luck with that one. I am not sure if you could do what you want with the older Ku-only multiswitches.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
If you use an external multiswitch, for a single satellite dish (round 18" dish) you must have two lines from the dish to a multiswitch. For a multiple satellite dish (oval 3-LNB, or the 5-LNB AT9) you must have four lines from the dish to the multiswitch. Also, for the AT9 you must use the Zinwell WB68 or WB616 multiswitches.

You cannot split a single line and feed it to more than one receiver. It won't work properly.

If your total receiver/tuner count is 4 or less, then you can run lines directly from the 4 outputs of the dish to the receivers/tuners. If you need more than 4 total connections, then you have to use the applicable multiswitch, with all of the outputs of the dish connected to the inputs of the multiswitch.

In your particular case, you want/need a total of five connections, and you are feeding from an AT9 dish. So the only choice you have is to get a WB68 multiswitch, then connect all 4 lines from the dish to the inputs of the multiswitch, then connect five of the outputs to the five receivers/tuners you want active. Find a convenient location that is protected from weather to place the multiswitch. Pull back the existing cables from the dish and route them to the multiswitch. Run 4 new lines between the dish and the multiswitch, then add the fifth line you need for the second tuner on your SAT T60.

Carl

·
AllStar
58 Posts
I just had the HR20 installed last Saturday. I had 3 Tivos and an old receiver. I swapped the old receiver for the HR20. I had a 4 X 8 switch which the installer said would work fine.

After he left I started having intermittent problems with my HD locals. They would work fine for an hour or two and then start breaking up. After an hour or so they would be ok again. Called customer support.

Turns out that I needed a new switch. That I wasn't receiving any signal on the even transponders of 103 and that my records show that the installer said that he did install a new switch.

He didn't. So now they are coming out to upgrade the switch on Thursday.

By the way, I am in the Chicago NW suburbs.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your patience and tutor.

I wanted to create a wiring closet this winter, so this will just add a new dimension to the project. I'll run the four outputs to the closet where I put the switch and distribute from there. Most of the rooms don't have cable, phone or ethernet so this is my chance (and motivation) to make it right.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.